Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger Room Advanced Questions.  (Read 1747 times)

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger Room Advanced Questions.
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:27:18 pm »

I have a few questions about more advanced danger room training questions. I am playing a map generated by another player so I don't know if any of the raws have been messed with.

Using Therapist to watch the progress of my military skills and all my fighters quickly made legendary fighters and are quickly becoming legendary shield users. Once these are reached what should I do next?

I have started removing shields from the maxed fighters, I am guessing they use other skills more quickly then by my observations... My two hammerdwarves became hammerlords very quickly after doing so, while the other fighters are experiencing slower weapon gains.

Almost all my military has poor dodging and striking. How can I increase it?

Thanks.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room Advanced Questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »

Leave them there. Dodging should increase over time, as well as Armor Use. The weapon skills shot up due to constant spear parrying.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:46:43 pm »

Also, should I take away their weapons once they reach legendary in their skillset? Will that train dodging/armor use faster?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:48:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure striking means with a fist, and that is not taught in a danger room.

I think once they are legendary with the basics, have them wrestle each other without weapons, armor, or shields. Allow them access to things like chairs though, to get up miscellaneous object user along with all the other basic skills. Unfortunately these take... a lot longer to train up. If anyone actually attacks you... it's better to have some dwarves equipped with the weapon they trained in.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:52:43 pm »

Beware danger rooms, your dwarves can now be impaled by no quality training spears.  They can impale the brain through shoes(messed up in a Vlad the Impaler sort of way)...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:00:00 pm »

I have a question: If I remove shields will that level dodging and armor use faster?

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:15:50 pm »

Nordak, I'll take my risks with the room, it just takes too long without it. (and I would say it's too fast with it.) The biggest training room accident I had was when I made it with menacing spike once.. oops.

Oh and I've noticed that my axelord is training with his axe and a dagger at the same time and gaining skills in both.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 09:19:49 pm »

I left two swordsmen to spar for three months.
They achieved AT LEAST 5 levels (if not more).
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:08:51 pm »

I have a question: If I remove shields will that level dodging and armor use faster?

I read somewhere in this forum that dwarves are more likely to use the ability they are best at for blocking and possibly dodging. So if they are better shield users, they'll prefer to use their shields to block.

So I guess it would be better to unequip shields during training. But I don't have any real confirmation to give you.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »

I did figure out that putting 10 wooden spears in a single trap does increase the speed dramatically.

But you have to decrease the size of your training area unless you've got a ton of wood laying around

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 11:17:21 pm »

It will. What I do is this: define 3 uniforms, one with just armour, one with armour + weapon (individual choice melee), and one with armour, weapon and shield.

All recruits are issued just armour. When their armour user skill is high enough, they get a weapon. When weapon skill is high enough, they get a shield.

Some people do it in reverse order, and dump their soldier's shields, then weapons, as they level up. Then reclaim once armour user skill is high

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 03:35:54 am »

Have you actually let well equipped dwarves go fight some goblins after they only become legendary fighters?
Really the only other thing you should care about is shield use so they have durability vs bolts and arrows.

Everything else? Let them actually train you jerk. It's faster after they max out fighter and you don't need to make an army of soldiers that could each solo entire sieges- at least not before they've ever had actual combat experience. You don't deserve to have soldiers than can handle everything within the first year.

But yes, if you take away the shield they will either dodge the spears or their armor will deal with it. If they do level their armor to max but still don't dodge much I would not recommend taking away the armor. Moreover you don't actually need to strip them of equipment so much so long as you have one soldier that learns whichever skill. When they're high level with it they train anyone else in their squad very fast, regardless of teacher levels (well it probably multiplies up to near danger room speed with legendary teacher.)
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 10:30:00 am »

Dangerrooms are inhumane. :(
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 10:32:44 am »

Danger rooms are inhumane Fun on version .31.18.
Fixed that for you.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 10:34:02 am »

whats the speciality on v18? didnt see any difference beside that armor now protects toes and fingers :)
Pages: [1] 2