Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 49966 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2011, 12:13:26 am »

Minecraft is good for artwork and architecture, and it's easier to build complex mechanisms in Dwarf Fortress. And DF is filled with madness. So there's always that.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2011, 02:08:49 am »

Most people on the MC forums will argue that this game is insanely complex. That same complexity is what makes us want to play it. I voted for both.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2011, 03:38:17 am »

Dimensionality should be a world-gen option. I mean, without it we're SOL if the string theorists are right.

That being said, I haven't tried Minecraft. I always feel dirty if I try something that's got mainstream appeal; it breaks the illusion that I'm not sheeple. Also, Dwarf Fortress is the game that I've wanted to make since I was a kid. It just feels right that someone out there went and did it.

Man, my thoughts exactly. Found DF while digging though roguelikes for inspiration on my own game and found that I no longer needed to make the perfect game to fill the void with anymore.

Haven't touched minecraft, it just doesnt have enough substance to me to be appealing enough to even bother to try out, looks pretty though and I can understand why people would prefer MC for it's simplicity.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2011, 02:21:24 pm »

I play Minecraft for 3D architecture, but it's always disappointing because the cities I make are deserted.

It's harder to make a city in DF, well, in a way it's harder... but they are nicely populated and used, which makes it much nicer.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2011, 05:48:49 pm »

One of the other things I like about MC is that when you complete your megaproject, you know it was your work.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 15, 2011, 03:52:46 pm »

One of the other things I like about MC is that when you complete your megaproject, you know it was your work.
Troll?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 15, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »

What? The time from the work was your time, not that of a number of simulated creatures. In DF, it's simple enough to watch a megaproject develop with little effort involved. Minecraft megaprojects give so much more satisfaction, both from the effort and in the results.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 15, 2011, 06:04:16 pm »

RW, I wonder if you've ever played DF at all, using such phrases as "little effort involved"  and "simple".

Nothing just comes together.

I like fortresses because they are still underground.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2011, 06:11:24 pm »

RW, I wonder if you've ever played DF at all, using such phrases as "little effort involved"  and "simple".

I just feel that having your dwarves do all the effort somewhat detracts from the feeling of satisfaction.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:23 pm »

The effort is  attempting to get your dwarfs to build for you, before they all die to somthing horrible!

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:18 pm »

Neither, for I picked....

Rapture!

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 15, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »

Cue rapping.

/obscurejoke
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2011, 11:46:05 pm »

I just feel that having your dwarves do all the effort somewhat detracts from the feeling of satisfaction.

I'm curious about what you mean by effort.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 16, 2011, 05:11:42 am »

I bought Minecraft before it became 'mainstream' but I still say both.

Minecraft:
1) The Minecraft forums is how I found DF. +1
2) Back when the Redshift flatsea server was still running, I helped build a giant underground bunker for PCPP. +1
3) Built a giant futuristic city in MCEdit for the Beta version. No points because of the lag this one suffered.

Dwarf Fortress:
1) Made two mods that were two ambitious and have started another because it's so satisfying. +1
2) First real fortress ended because 80 people died of severe bloody vomit and the remaining 50 killed each other. +1
3) Turned me into a gaming elitist. No points because I'm not sure this is a good thing.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 16, 2011, 05:58:17 pm »

Got DF.
Got MC.
Like DF.
Like MC.

In total...? I prefer DF. It's just much... more? Sure, it's not multiplayer, first person, or 3D, but in MC you can't strangle someone to death with their own guts. XD
Plus Toady seems to care much more than Notch. I think MC has become too commercial?

*Protect me, anti-flame barrier!*
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27