Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 50005 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »

Didn't like spelunky a whole lot, and la mulana may be too old school even for me, but cave story is awesome +5.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2010, 07:42:53 pm »

la mulana may be too old school even for me
Yeah, it's frustratingly stubborn in it's retro-ness. Great soundtrack, though.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2010, 11:48:17 pm »

I never actually made it all the way through Spelunky, even if I bought all the shortcuts. Also I got into that gold city thing :D:D:D
That was like my crowning achievement, and then disaster struck. Literally. It hit my powerlines.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2010, 06:38:12 am »

I haven't posted here for months (possibly a year now) and I read through this whole conversation just to make sure nobody has posted this before. The hardcore game is Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress is Dwarf Fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And THAT is why I like Dwarf Fortress more.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:34 am »

Can I also assume you finished Cave Story, Vertigon?
That game made me so sad the first time I played through, and got the air bubble.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #290 on: December 08, 2010, 11:36:51 am »

Can I also assume you finished Cave Story, Vertigon?
That game made me so sad the first time I played through, and got the air bubble.
:-X

Actually, I was too distracted by THIS at the time to feel any emotion but pure pants-wetting awe.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2010, 03:05:17 pm »

I haven't posted here for months (possibly a year now) and I read through this whole conversation just to make sure nobody has posted this before. The hardcore game is Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress is Dwarf Fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And THAT is why I like Dwarf Fortress more.
Minecraft is not really a hardcore game. I'd say it's more casual.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2010, 05:42:03 pm »

Well for the last few months, Minecraft has been the game I've been playing most. I however will have to say that Dwarf Fortress is by far more interesting.

With Minecraft, it's all fun in the beginning because you have nothing, then your whole goal is to get a decent structure where you are safe to go about your business and then get diamond tools. Well, once you get diamond tools, you kind of hit a point where you don't need anything else. I think that's the main thing that stops me from playing single player, is that you hit a wall and once there, there isn't much you can do at all, at least with multiplayer you have stuff you can do with other people. (It probably gets boring for me, because safety is my number one priority.)

With Dwarf Fortress I've played for over 2 years. I only ended up getting bored of DF cause I cheated :P It became habit as well. It was terrible. The game does have a lot more to offer than MC does IMO. It doesn't get dull so quick.

However, it has been said before and I think it is true... They are two totally different games and shouldn't be compared to one another.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2010, 05:49:16 pm »

However, it has been said before and I think it is true... They are two totally different games and shouldn't be compared to one another.

Go read a few pages back, then tell me you like apples!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2010, 06:05:00 pm »

Go read a few pages back, then tell me you like apples!
I like green apples and those easy to peel oranges, so it's all good :P (Yes I went back and read, more of skimmed cause there is a lot of reading...)
My opinion stills holds firm seeing as I could go between the two and experience two totally different environments and stuff that happens. Hell for a while I was playing DF and MC at the same time. The only thing about MC that drew my attention away is I didn't have to be so involved in the game. With that said... DF is a lot more like an Watermelon, Orange, Pineapple, etc. and MC is a lot more like a Pear, Apple, Strawberry, etc.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2010, 06:15:52 pm »

The point is that when two things are very different, it is still possible to compare them. In fact its easier to compare them. Its when two things are near identical that differing one from the other becomes hard.

I could compare my lava lamp to my keyboard if you wanted me to, and I could even tell you what one I enjoy more, but they are VERY different things with different functions.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »

That comic is boss. XD
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2010, 06:26:19 pm »

The point is that when two things are very different, it is still possible to compare them. In fact its easier to compare them. Its when two things are near identical that differing one from the other becomes hard.

I could compare my lava lamp to my keyboard if you wanted me to, and I could even tell you what one I enjoy more, but they are VERY different things with different functions.
I understand that, but I don't think you should compare one to another. Especially in the case of DF and MC. Yes they are similar on many levels, but you can really appreciate the differences, especially if you can play DF just as well as MC.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2010, 07:37:37 pm »

Please list these so-called "similarities" for me. I know some of the things in MC were inspired by DF, but there is absolutely nothing similar in their gameplay. DF is a hybrid RTS and roguelike with absurd attention to detail, MC is a 3D first-person set of super-legos. They're both fun, but I can't find a single similarity between the two.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2010, 08:43:11 pm »

Well, to start, the motherfucking megaprojects. The fact that you generate a unique world. MC is somewhat similar to adventure mode in that you wander around; however, Notch explicitly stated he doesn't want skill in.

I haven't played muh of either for a while. Personally, there are things I like about each. The money part is fairly inconsequential to me, but whatever. Minecraft has one major thing DF doesn't. Sure, you can look at Bloodfist in DF, but ASCII just lacks the oomph that you get from a good visualization, which MC really provides. It also, due to being a first person actually real time game, can provide tensssssssSSSS- In DF, you don't ever come into those scenarios where you're just digging along, when oshitwhatsthatnoiseBOOMdead. Minecraft is also less time-demanding for the ordinary gamer.

Lastly, what many people who give the "If Toady charged for DF, he'd be a millionaire" argument fail to realize - or neglect to mention - is that DF is a VERY niche game BECAUSE of the in(s)ane detail and graphics level. It requires so much more thought process than Minecraft.

Just my two cents about why people shouldn't be hating on Minecraft so much. As for the poll bias, go to the Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha topic in Other Games (note: the topic creator hasn't been on the topic recently; the outdated title is a note of that) and ask which game is better.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27