Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 50032 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2010, 02:44:30 am »

Better question:

DF and minecraft both on your comp... vs every other game that is being actively supported/sold/patched, combined.

Oh wow, this is hard, realy. I mean I LOVE DF, and would marry it if possible, but the other games? There is splunky and cave story, and so many others. I mean I may have fallen in love with dwarf fortress, but I never felt really attached to any single character. Other games that has a liner story can focus on giving us emotion, not just *Cut off left hand in year 163*.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2010, 10:53:28 am »

Also, Toady never said anything about 3rd party interfaces directly. He's always focused on the support and source code aspect. Those he won't ever provide, so...
He's said many times that he doesn't enjoy the idea of "essential 3rd party programs" for DF, he will NOT create an official API. He tolerates the current utilities because of deficiencies in the current DF interface, as long as they are not accessing too much of DF's inner workings.
That's not what I am reading from him. To me it seems he doesn't care as long as it doesn't try to steal his stuff, or require his support. Of course that means it cannot be essential, because he doesn't have to think about compatibility for that tool or integrate it. This wouldn't be true if he went the multiplayer support route though.

Peterix was temp-banned but later unbanned by Toady when Toady figured out that Impaler was using Peterix's work to backend DF. Jonask and the Stonesense team are not going to do it because 1. it's tough as hell and a bitch to maintain (Every update to DF breaks Stonesense as it already is) and 2. They respect Toady's wishes.
Look at your statement there. Was he banned for trying to make the program send commands to dwarf fortress? Nope. He was banned because Toady thought he was responsible for an attempted theft of the source code.

Not being a programmer, I don't know of all these issues you guys talk about when it comes to transferring simple keypress information. I do know that I once used a macro program that was able to send complex commands to dwarf fortress. It did it by sending the key commands to the program, and you could watch every step of the program be performed. Whatever was used there would work just fine in a visualizer, if the visualizer was programmed to send the keypress information it received in the same manner. But again, I'm not a programmer so maybe it isn't that simple.

See the work on DFterm, and other utilities :)
I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to. To my knowledge, Toady has never directly weighed in with an opinion of DFTerm or DFTerm2, although I think he might have once in a talk. I can't remember right now. That program is yet another example of keypress information being sent to the Dwarf Fortress program though, which is what a visualizer needs to become a 3d client for the Dwarf Fortress program. Maybe I am missing something? Like I said above, I am not a programmer. I can point to a bunch of different utilities out there that have some of the features I am talking about, until I can point to a collective sum of the whole.

I don't really care in the end, since seeing the fortress in 3d doesn't really provide anything to me. I'm one of the (currently) 295 people who voted Dwarf Fortress over minecraft or both. I would like to see a multiplayer version though, since it'd help me get more people involved, but that would require it to be low hanging enough that Toady wants to make coding changes to the game to facilitate it. I think it COULD happen, eventually. But I don't see it happening anytime soon, since we are talking about pretty big changes to allow a true multiplayer.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2010, 08:01:47 am »

Better question:

DF and minecraft both on your comp... vs every other game that is being actively supported/sold/patched, combined.

Oh wow, this is hard, realy. I mean I LOVE DF, and would marry it if possible, but the other games? There is splunky and cave story, and so many others. I mean I may have fallen in love with dwarf fortress, but I never felt really attached to any single character. Other games that has a liner story can focus on giving us emotion, not just *Cut off left hand in year 163*.

What!! I Get attached to some of my ickle Dorfs! I almost cried at the Massacre of '08!
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 05, 2010, 09:54:17 am »

I can't help myself laugh when i see this.

I though that was clever when someone said Dwarf Fortress looks like this
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:57:34 am by Comrade »

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:12 am »

That could be people from bay12 following the link.
"Never heard of either", however...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:32:14 am by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2010, 10:03:09 am »

Better question:

Oh man, it's been forever since I've played Spelunky.
Thanks for reminding me of that...
*sunglasses*
gem. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:01 am »

That could be people from bay12 following the link.
"Never heard of either", however...
They made a Forum account, just so they could vote that?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2010, 11:13:25 am »

Was that on the Minecraft forum?
It's interesting... On the Dwarf Fortress forum it's 64.5% for Dwarf Fortress, with Dwarf Fortress being more than 23 times more than Minecraft.
Minecraft has 31% of the vote on it's forum, with it only being a little under twice the votes for Dwarf Fortress.

On it's own forum, that is a very severe problem for poor minecraft.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2010, 11:37:45 am »

Minecraft

-day 1- build first home before the first night (that was the most fun I got from playing the game, till i realized night time ai is a JOKE)

day 2- gather materials to make death tower on top of death mountain (pretty fun, though really slow process)

day 3- mining for diamonds via branch mining, realize the rest of your game will be staring at a wall half a foot ahead of you, a very ugly wall, and doing this for 8 hours will net 100 diamonds tops using the best methods.

day 4- accomplished everything there is to do, realize hell is not complete within minecraft.

day 5- forgot to delete minecraft... delete minecraft :D

day 6- realize online version is out; but 90% of the fun is grieving which is an instant ban :D, or making a huge mega project, only to have it griefed while you sleep :(

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2010, 12:12:52 pm »

Heh, you're welcome. :D

I was surprised too when quite a few people on the Minecraft forums voted Dwarf Fortress as the better game. Guess the jury is out.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2010, 12:52:09 pm »

I was surprised too when quite a few people on the Minecraft forums voted Dwarf Fortress as the better game. Guess the jury is out.

Then again, it's possible the minecraft vs df thread over on those forums is being visited primarily by DF fans, and that die hard minecraft fans are largely ignoring the topic- it could be selectivity bias in the sample. 

But I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. Minecraft is my favorite game-of-the-moment since my friends are playing survival multiplayer, but a month from now when we're bored of MC, Df will still be my favorite game of all time.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2010, 02:02:27 pm »

I don't think so GTM. Look at the numbers.

Dwarf Fortress- 304 (64.5%)
Minecraft - 13 (2.8%)
Both - 154 (32.7%)
Total Members Voted: 471

471 to 145, But I'd need a link to really be sure.

If it were dwarf fortress trolling, we'd have swamped them 100%

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2010, 06:33:59 pm »

Better question:

Dwarf Fortress
Cave Story
Spelunky
La-Mulana

...why do all the best freeware games involve underground exploration?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »

I never heard of those games.
I have played Cave Story for like 2 minutes though.
And Dwarf Fortress is, well, obvious.
Please, explain the other games :D.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2010, 07:04:35 pm »

I never heard of those games.
I have played Cave Story for like 2 minutes though.
And Dwarf Fortress is, well, obvious.
Please, explain the other games :D.
Better yet, download all of them. Now.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27