Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 50123 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »

For ms Smith! Bless her sole, she turns 70 next year!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bless it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »

Hmm. Cant recall where I heard that either. I know it was in some kind of Ask Toady! type thing, but the exact link has escaped my mind.

Ditto on wanting a linky.

It seems pretty contradictory with what hes stated in the past. He doesn't work with anyone beside his brother, and there he is the only programmer by chance because that his preference.

In one of the latest interviews, he pretty much states this as well. No hint that he thinks that hes better programmer or designer then others, or other wont be able to do the job well. He just prefers programming on his own.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/cuvnl/tarn_adams_creator_of_dwarf_fortress_his_response/
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2010, 09:37:19 pm »

Yeah, pretty much DF is his baby. It's his pride and joy. It matters so much to him that he put the source code in his will.

MC is Notch's cash cow. He has even said as much.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2010, 12:55:28 am »

They may be, for lack of a better phrase, pants on head retarded dwarfs, but they will always be he's dwarfs.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2010, 01:34:19 am »

One could say while DF has pants-on-head retarded dwarves, MC has pants-on-head retarded fanbase, but lets not go into that :P

But yea, Notch didn't put a whole lot of work in minecraft, ever really. When he stopped updating he was probably comming up with a way to work less and earn more money. Thus he got himself a group of developers to work for him, enabling him to churn out mini releases faster and gain more monies. When people get tired of MC, he'll probably come up with something else to make monies. If you look back at notch's past works, they were all simple games like flight simulators, in which he took an engine and simply worked on it.

Now DF, instead of relying on the nagging factor of control a kid haves over their parent's money, or creepy older people with nothing to do, survives solely on the mighty coding skills of toady one and the good will of its undying fanbase (seriously though, this community is considerably old), and it slowly but surely attracts new members over time. People don't donate because they want a gimmick update involving a new area and more easter eggs, they donate so DF can become what Toady wants it to become, which is an awesome, incredibly detailed interactive fantasy history generator.

I do not deny the fun MC can proportionate, but its more of a minigame kind of fun, once you've been there, its done, there's nothing to call you back inside.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:36:03 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 29, 2010, 04:58:33 am »

...once you've been there, its done, there's nothing to call you back inside.

Sounds like a night with your mum.

I'm new to thread trolling. I just wanted to see what it's like.

Don't hurt me, I'm so tender.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:32 am »

Don't hurt me, I'm so tender.

That's what your mum said. Poor thing.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2010, 07:53:31 am »

You have to be more stealthy about your trolling. The moment they find out you're trollin, is the moment they start milking you for jollies.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:36 am »

Lots of text

All valid points, but look at Dwarf Fortress when it was only a year old, and look at Minecraft now.

In 5 years Minecraft may become something much bigger than it currently is. It has massive potential, and that's why it interests me. When I first started playing I was making fortresses and cities out of 5 different blocks, and going online and building castles with my friends. Now I'm gathering wood and coal for the coming long nights, as I toil away in the mines below gathering cobblestone, coal, and rare ores so I may build a glorious shrine to my own success.

And what's wrong with selling a video game? When did making money become a bad thing? It's not like he sold out or anything.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2010, 08:24:03 am »

money have been related to the corruption of the userbase of minecraft, not as a bad thing all by itself

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2010, 09:32:14 am »

You have to be more stealthy about your trolling. The moment they find out you're trollin, is the moment they start milking you for jollies.

i'll bear this in mind. Thank you, oh wise Trollmeister.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

I played in Minecraft a bit, i don't have enuf money to freely spend (I'm stuck with 2 10-year-old computers  :-X) so classic version for me. it was fun to play around, build a giant tower of doom, write "dwarf fortress" unconsciously and then realize that classic got boring very quickly. I played alpha a few times, much better, but since I don't want to hack the game to play it for "free" (I'm way above that. shun those who do. >:() I don't yet get the feel of it. MC has loads of potential, and (replying to post on previous page) "FortCraft" R would be awesome: 3D adventure-like mode where you tell your dwarves what to do.

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2010, 12:10:47 pm »

Well, the developer of Minecraft supports people who can't afford his game to torrent it. He wrote a large blog post about how piracy is inevitable, and instead of creating DRMs that just shun paying customers, use the pirates to your advantage. If someone isn't going to pay for minecraft, they aren't going to pay for it. He'd rather have pirates enjoy his game, who then tell their friends, who are new potential customers.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »

Well, the developer of Minecraft supports people who can't afford his game to torrent it. He wrote a large blog post about how piracy is inevitable, and instead of creating DRMs that just shun paying customers, use the pirates to your advantage. If someone isn't going to pay for minecraft, they aren't going to pay for it. He'd rather have pirates enjoy his game, who then tell their friends, who are new potential customers.

Rowanas cancels post: committing piracy.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »

Max White cancels drink: being raided by pirate boarding party.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27