Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 50066 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2010, 07:31:54 pm »

Besides that, development of DF is becoming increasingly faster... maybe because the terrible design choices of Toady.

Actually, I dont think DF development is any faster at all. I think its been pretty regular. If you go back and read through the dev log, before the Dreaded Year of No Release! seem to be about the same as now.

Though I expect we're going to see some long term pause (but hopefully not a year + one.), as the DF AI rewrite, and pysche rewrite are both on the dev pages. I dont believe those are going to be short projects.

However, I do like how the dev's between release are more focused.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2010, 08:22:59 pm »

Besides that, development of DF is becoming increasingly faster... maybe because the terrible design choices of Toady.

Actually, I dont think DF development is any faster at all. I think its been pretty regular. If you go back and read through the dev log, before the Dreaded Year of No Release! seem to be about the same as now.

Though I expect we're going to see some long term pause (but hopefully not a year + one.), as the DF AI rewrite, and pysche rewrite are both on the dev pages. I dont believe those are going to be short projects.

Compare how the adventure mode was before and after 31.17. In one month Toady completely changed the feel of adventure mode. It was underdeveloped, sure, but he wouldn't change it so much if he hasn't done so much everywhere in the game.

Even Caravan Arc, so much talked about since I first played DF in 2006, is coming together nicely. Look at the last devlogs.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2010, 08:40:08 pm »

Its all about enjoyment per penny, good sir.

By DF standard, you divided by zero and got infinity.
Which is actually bad math. 1/0 =/= ∞.

I know its bad math, thus why I feel I need to point it out. DF gives infinate enjoyment for nothing.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2010, 10:07:11 pm »

Minecraft has multiplayer and is 3D.  Thus, it has better visuals for what little you can create, and you can share it more easily with others.  It's the difference between drawing out a totally awesome schematic on paper that you show people, and building using legos with other people.  Honestly the latter has way more social and aesthetic appeal, even if the former is more intellectually stimulating.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »

Calling DF a schematic is too much an offense to 8 years of work of a man. How do you play schematics? DF is fully playable and have so many features it is hard to categorize its genre. Please stop the trolling.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:32:24 pm by thvaz »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »

Calling DF a schematic is too much an offense to 8 years of work of a man. How do you play schematics? DF is fully playable and have so many features it is hard to categorize its genre. Please stop the trolling.
1) You have no idea how many hours I spent as a kid scribbling out incredibly detailed schematics for places and things.  It's not an insult.  Also, as far as I know, legos weren't playable in the sense that they didn't have actual monsters, block-to-other-block conversions, the ability to build electronics (those would be different toys), the ability to walk around inside them to-scale, etc.  They ARE both games.
2) Lay off the goddamn coffee.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2010, 12:10:49 am »

Compare how the adventure mode was before and after 31.17. In one month Toady completely changed the feel of adventure mode. It was underdeveloped, sure, but he wouldn't change it so much if he hasn't done so much everywhere in the game.

Even Caravan Arc, so much talked about since I first played DF in 2006, is coming together nicely. Look at the last devlogs.

Yea, I think the progress is the same, but it feels faster because its being focused. Inside of being nebulous in nature, we're seeing the short term goals being completed and it feels like its faster development.

1) You have no idea how many hours I spent as a kid scribbling out incredibly detailed schematics for places and things.  It's not an insult.  Also, as far as I know, legos weren't playable in the sense that they didn't have actual monsters, block-to-other-block conversions, the ability to build electronics (those would be different toys), the ability to walk around inside them to-scale, etc.  They ARE both games.
2) Lay off the goddamn coffee.

Holy crap, I used to do this too.

I did generally space ships based on pens. Using the clip as a hangar, and even making the stater rooms. I would even figure out the profile for the ship; likes what mission it was meant for and crew compliment and its break down. So I would know how many and what kind of rooms to draw.

I also did gloves. I would trace the outside of my hand and just draw gizmos on it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2010, 04:04:04 am »

Yea, I think the progress is the same, but it feels faster because its being focused. Inside of being nebulous in nature, we're seeing the short term goals being completed and it feels like its faster development.

this.

user interface/visible feature development always feel 'faster' because of the immediate feedback it gives.

users have a very nasty habit of misjudging the effort it takes to create any software. put together a loosely working set of fake web pages with non working fields and the users will think that the 90% of the work is done, while it's quite the opposite almost always.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2010, 07:38:48 am »

What i find interesting is that the similar thread in the mine craft forums is about the same % for people who play Minecraft & people who play Dwarf Fortress, whereas here it's all DF.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2010, 09:13:09 am »

I swear I already posted in this thread...
I like DF more. The direction Toady is taking DF is better (my opinion) than the direction Notch is taking Minecraft. Plus we get updates at about the same frequency, but we also get constant dev-log feedback and funny bugs.
Plus the forum here is much, much better. Going onto the minecraft forums, especially the off-topic sections, requires several tons of industrial stupid bleach to dissolve the residual stupid.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:27 am »

I swear I already posted in this thread...
I like DF more. The direction Toady is taking DF is better (my opinion) than the direction Notch is taking Minecraft. Plus we get updates at about the same frequency, but we also get constant dev-log feedback and funny bugs.
Plus the forum here is much, much better. Going onto the minecraft forums, especially the off-topic sections, requires several tons of industrial stupid bleach to dissolve the residual stupid.

I also have something to say about the updates. When DF has game breaking updates, they aren't automatically downloaded. And we have less game breaking updates anyway :P

EDIT: today Notch just updated the downloads. They're not automatic anymore! Complaint revoked.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:07:58 pm by metime00 »
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 03:31:18 pm »

You and others should know the only reason we're getting all these things now is because Toady took the year and a half to do the materials rewrite, and then additional months to fix bugs.

Even though you'll occasionally see threads on the forums complaining about how people want a certain feature now, there is a method to Toady's madness(programming schedule).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:33:57 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »

Even though you'll occasionally see threads on the forums complaining about how people want a certain feature now, there is a method to Toady's madness(programming schedule).

I'm going to have to agree with you after reading your post.
After all, I don't know that much on toadys personal life, (Max White is a casual worshiper of the great Toady) but I'm sure he must have had formal programming training, and so he would have been taught proper project structure, rather then just goes cowboy. Chances are he has done the real programming for features long to come, and colon placement is all that is needed.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2010, 05:21:42 pm »

Well, Toady probably has some programming training. He believe he had a double major in Mathematics and Computer Science. Though before his school, he was programing games with his brother since a younger rage.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2010, 05:24:44 pm »

Both. You cannot compare these games; it's like comparing Deus Ex to Civ 5, Zork to Pong or CoD * to Need For Speed *.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27