Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 50019 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2010, 09:52:51 pm »

WATCH YERSELF URIST, VOTE FOR THE WRONG MOUNTAINHOME AN' YOU MIGHT TAKE A SWIM WITH THE MAGMA CRABS!

See, now I want to talk about inter-fortress politics. Will the King ever call on our Baron's to gather up some men and come to the Holy Land with him?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:54 pm »

See, now I want to talk about inter-fortress politics. Will the King ever call on our Baron's to gather up some men and come to the Holy Land with him?

Genocide ark? I THINK SO!!!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2010, 12:56:40 am »

Please, we have an 86 page (last I remember, at least) thread on breeding mermaids for butchering purposes. Even if there isn't a genocide arc, we'll have genocides anyways. I can already hear all the 'Genocide the Hippies' megaprojects that will come up someday, and the 'who can make the biggest construction out of elf bone' that will result from people capturing forest retreats and butchering/slaghtering  elves for their bones.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2010, 02:58:14 am »

...Right. To answer the title: Dwarf Fortress is infinatly more enjoyable for the price I payed for it. Its not even a matter of gameplay comparison to me. For example: Farmville > Crysis

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2010, 03:01:18 am »

Farmville > Crysis
I don't understand. You're comparing two terrible games?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2010, 03:08:26 am »

Its all about enjoyment per penny, good sir.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2010, 03:15:07 am »

I didn't pay for either one so I guess it doesn't apply to me. :P

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2010, 06:32:21 am »

By DF standard, you divided by zero and got infinity.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

I don't know, I don't really -get- minecraft. Toady's spent years making this great game from the bottom up, and some guy takes a bit of open source code, enhances it moderately to make it more dwarf-fortress esque, charges for it, makes millions, and toady is still...well, toady, ordinary guy. (though possible dwarf in disguise).

I mean, I tried out minecraft, but I just got so bored. I just don't understand the point of it. There's no depth to the world and not really all that much to build, at least compared to what I'm used to. I really just don't understand it. And I feel so bad for toady, because I feel that a number of the features are clear knock-offs/nods to DF.

I can see how they'd have different points though; DF basically is trying to be a fantasy world simulator, while minecraft, at heart, is trying to let people make pretty things. And people do make pretty things in DF, but its so much more. But having all that 'much more' sacrifices the graphics.

So I'm ambivalent. I'm happy for the minecraft players, happy they are happy, but I love DF more. The only thing that makes me sad is for toady, because I really feel the quality of DF in terms of the code and the work done into it exceeds minecraft, but toady isn't a millionare, while minecraft's maker has made 3.5 million off of it as of this month.
:(

There, I finally got around to donating. AND YOU'D BETTER TOO *shakes fist*
Though I tend to disagree with your opinion of Minecraft. It's a fun enough game on its own, and Notch is a fairly talented programmer to get it to the point it was at before he hired some help. Still though, DF is by far a more impressive programming achievement, and a much deeper and more complex game. The fact that Notch has made millions off of his game doesn't really make sense to me, but it's not like he asked for his game to become this ridiculously popular.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2010, 05:01:04 pm »

Which is actually bad math. 1/0 =/= ∞.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

DanJhonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2010, 05:39:26 pm »

I've played both quite extensively and I'd say there both very fun games in there own ways, Also to the people saying that minecraft is just pretend legos, Have you ever actually played minecraft? I've played quite a bit of minecraft and i would say it's about as much like legos as dwarf fortress is.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2010, 05:48:19 pm »

I picked DF.

Mine Craft Costs money. 'Nuff Said. :p
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2010, 05:56:43 pm »

The way I figure DF is infinitely better, is gameplay/cost. If I rate gameplay on a 1-10 scale, even if I gave Minecraft "10" and Dwarf Fortress "1", the ratio is better. 1/0 is a better ratio then 10/1, infinitely more so.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2010, 06:14:09 pm »

The way I figure DF is infinitely better, is gameplay/cost. If I rate gameplay on a 1-10 scale, even if I gave Minecraft "10" and Dwarf Fortress "1", the ratio is better. 1/0 is a better ratio then 10/1, infinitely more so.
I'm a bit rusty on math theory, but 1/0 is undefined, and as such, can't be part of standard math operations, like +,-,*, or /.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2010, 07:56:52 pm »

1/0 is nothing not Infinity, it's 1 lot of nothing. I think.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27