Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 49978 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 11:31:30 am »

Plus the website I frequent is stuck in a Minecraft obsession phase, which to be honest is kind of annoying.
Same here.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 12:02:59 pm »

Plus the website I frequent is stuck in a Minecraft obsession phase, which to be honest is kind of annoying.
Same here.

Same with stumbleupon. Before it was 50% bieber, now it's 50% minecraft. Uuuuugh.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 12:18:57 pm »

True, it isn't exactly mainstream, but the community's troubles seem to stem from that whole "gamer entitlement" thing. People pay $13 for a game in the alpha stage, then go on a self-important tirade when things don't work right away. The game's accessibility (while not a bad thing in itself,) doesn't help much with filtering out the very type of immature morons that plague their forums.

I thought those jerks that launched a DDOS attacks on his site because they wanted more updated were some weird minority. Guess not.

For the record I don't hate Mincecraft. I just wish Dwarf Fortress got some more attention, since I think a lot of people would give this game a chance if they really knew about all the awesome things you could do in it. Plus the website I frequent is stuck in a Minecraft obsession phase, which to be honest is kind of annoying.
Obviously the people launching DDoS attacks are in the minority, but trolls will drown out the rest even when they are far outnumbered. Of course, I think they might actually be in the majority...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 01:27:49 pm »

I hope Notch refuses to update minecraft 'till the DDOS cancel there demand. That should tell people to not mess with Notch. For Notch and Toady are great Game Programmers in my opinion. I just have different opinions on there games.

Could you imagine a DDOS on Dwarf Fortress?

"DDOS's, in *MY* Fort!? Urist! Pull that lever now!"
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »

Honestly I like both, I sort of switch between the two every so often.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2010, 06:16:55 pm »

Like asking on DF forums could wield other results. Try asking on minecraft's forums  :P

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2010, 06:18:14 pm »

Like asking on DF forums could wield other results. Try asking on minecraft's forums  :P

Someone is.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2010, 07:57:31 pm »

Didn't someone figure out a way to conver DF maps into Minecraft maps?
WOuld be kick ass ot see some of the more famous citeis made "Real"

Imagine being able to walk through Flarechannel!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2010, 08:16:38 pm »

Didn't someone figure out a way to conver DF maps into Minecraft maps?
WOuld be kick ass ot see some of the more famous citeis made "Real"

Imagine being able to walk through Flarechannel!

I think someone made an utility that did that, can't remember it off the top of my head though.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »

Someone did, dunno where it is.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 11:25:26 pm »

I don't know, I don't really -get- minecraft. Toady's spent years making this great game from the bottom up, and some guy takes a bit of open source code, enhances it moderately to make it more dwarf-fortress esque, charges for it, makes millions, and toady is still...well, toady, ordinary guy. (though possible dwarf in disguise).

I mean, I tried out minecraft, but I just got so bored. I just don't understand the point of it. There's no depth to the world and not really all that much to build, at least compared to what I'm used to. I really just don't understand it. And I feel so bad for toady, because I feel that a number of the features are clear knock-offs/nods to DF.

I can see how they'd have different points though; DF basically is trying to be a fantasy world simulator, while minecraft, at heart, is trying to let people make pretty things. And people do make pretty things in DF, but its so much more. But having all that 'much more' sacrifices the graphics.

So I'm ambivalent. I'm happy for the minecraft players, happy they are happy, but I love DF more. The only thing that makes me sad is for toady, because I really feel the quality of DF in terms of the code and the work done into it exceeds minecraft, but toady isn't a millionare, while minecraft's maker has made 3.5 million off of it as of this month.
Amen. DF has quite a few bugs, but MC has AT LEAST half those, with less than a quarter the content. Notch, IMHO, is making way more money than he deserves. Swap Toady's yearly income and Notch's yearly income, and you'd end up more or less about how money should be distributed. I also don't get what the hell people are talking about when they say MC has some things in common with DF. What is it? That you wan use walls to build big things?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:50 am »

Anything done in minecraft I can do it better in photoshop. The game is for people with a lot of time on their hand and a lack of willpower to learn more sophisticated things. No depth whatsoever.

* rephikul dons his nether woods amour set.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 12:28:33 am »

Anything done in minecraft I can do it better in photoshop. The game is for people with a lot of time on their hand and a lack of willpower to learn more sophisticated things. No depth whatsoever.

I think it's more like Minecraft is for people who enjoyed Legos but no longer want to play with 'toys'.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 12:37:20 am »

I think it's more like Minecraft is for people who enjoyed Legos but no longer want to play with 'toys'.
MC is not comparable to lego. Not even close. I have the lego builder program or whatever it's called and it has vast superior piece options and without any of the the grind. Beside, lego has stunningly realistic physics. As real as reality can get. Not to mention if someone deconstruct my lego house he wont be able to log out of my room with his intestine not dragging on the floor.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27