Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Remember your first Fortresss?  (Read 3265 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remember your first Fortresss?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 05:11:44 am »

I got into the game through a link to Boatmurdered, so with that as a role model, it was doomed...

Roughbowels, or something - I remember killing countless masons finishing one wall, and they would all get stuck and die of thirst, and not actually complete it.  And channelling a stream into my bedroom level.  And fighting for every barrel so I could produce alcohol, which disappeared so fast as I was cooking it as fast as making it.

I think it ended due to me accidentally crushing my militia instead of the goblins with a bridge.  Or possibly routing a waterfall through the dining room, filling up the rest of the fort in the process.

Nowadays I do that with magma....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 05:16:12 am »

*shudder*

I remember nervous horses relieving their nervousness by kicking the hell out of everything nearby.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:48 am »

Ah, I remember my first fortress.  I couldn't figure out how to dig downward or designate anything until managing to learn to chop trees.  That's about all my dwarves learned to do before I gave up in frustration.  I think I also managed to learn how to dig downwards, but not how to build anything there.  My dwarves just loitered aroudn the wagon uselessly.

Needless to say that fort is gone, and I discovered the wiki soon after.  Things went much better from then on...for a relative term of "better" in Dwarf Fortress.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 05:29:02 am »

Ah. Now mine did not go well.
I thought I was doing ok, as I had an entrance with 20 spike traps, a military of about 5 (which was soon discovered to not be enough) and around 50 dwarfs.
Then, the inevitable ambush came. 1 goblin was killed by my inefficient military, before they were all slaughtered. Another one got impaled by my spikes, then the other five entered the fortress. It went rapidly downhill from there, so I attempted to flood my fortress, but my flooding system (after a dwarf crawled to the lever) was not pressurised enough and so did not flood it all.
They were fun times.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Luriksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 08:30:52 am »

My first game i didn't know how to train the recruits.  I dug deep down in search of gems and ore, and i ended up finding some demon frogs instead, at the same time the dwarven king decided to come for a visit. as you can guess it ended in a lot of fun  :D it was a massacer, my whole fortress was red with blood.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 09:08:51 am »

Pfff. Most of you just talk about your first successful fortress. My very first fortress ever was a craftsdwarfs workshop in the middle of a jungle.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 10:35:12 am »

Pfff. Most of you just talk about your first successful fortress. My very first fortress ever was a craftsdwarfs workshop in the middle of a jungle.

In my case, I was much too terrified of Doing It Wrong to start without reading pretty much the entire wiki. So you better bet my first fort survived. I am probably less cool for it, though. X)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 10:49:07 am »

Hehe, im the opposite type of player.  My first fort was completely blind (didnt find wiki/forums, first ever ascii game) and without a tileset.

Basically 7 funny little smilies frolicked about in the forest drinking water and picking berries while i spent two ingame years getting my mind round the interface and designations/piles.  I dug out loads of stone and cut down some wood, tried to build workshops but failed as i couldnt find out how to turn on labours.  no-one had come with any as i'd made all 7 warriors during embark

I eventually put up a depot and caught a human caravan right as people started getting pissed off with drinking water, sold plants i'd picked for a couple of barrels of booze.  In my second winter, right around the time i got workshops up and running I hit the first cavern.  Seeing as how it was all muddy i decided to farm there instead of mucking about with wetting rock and build my first farm on the cavern floor.  A month later everyone (23) was eaten by a cave crocodile

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 12:25:14 pm »

My first fortress:
0.28.xx = Got into my 3rd year, then a dragon ate everyone/thing...
0.31.xx = This was interesting, I never new about the hospital, so I had 1 guy with all medical, awesome Milita, 200 dwarfs, lagged out, so, I found some HPS, then, just as I found it, I got a siege, so, my fortress exploded XD, I LOVE DWARF FORTRESS!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:51 pm »

In my first for I followed, somewhat, the captn duck video tutorials. I got a few rooms dug out, some masonry and carpentry done. Then I figured out it was time to get farming as my dwarfs had started cancelling jobs to hunt vermin for food. I was planning to use a 3x4 pool for irrigation, so I designated a 5x5x3 area for channeling. of course my miners decided to dig bottom up, so first they got stuck and then they dropped each 3 floors a couple of times, breaking both of them. managed to get another dwarf to dig into the pool, but by then they had started dying of hunger, so I abandoned.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »

I do indeed remember my first fort. Its name has been lost to time, but the core events that took place shall be in my memory for the rest of my life.

It started off normally, no one starved, no one died from lack of booze (I had been coached by my brother, who played it a lot). I had set up some weapon traps at the entrance and was digging around for the underground lake. I found the lake in short order, but the denizens within didn't like me interrupting their home. A giant olm came out and killed a miner, and snakemen soon followed. I sealed up the fort and got bored. I couldn't go outside due to few weapons and no soldiers to fight the goblins, so I decided to dig into this "other stuff" that the site finder claimed was on the site. Guess what? I found it and everyone died. I always though that that was cool.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 04:45:32 pm »

Hell yeah.  My first fortress was a wagon by a brook.

The one after that was a farm by a cliff, with a nook mined out in the wall with some beds in it.  The farm never got planted as I did not have any seeds.  All seven starved.

My first 'successful' fortress was my third....although my bone-armored warriors were eventually overrun by rhesus macaques.  I was just learning how to forge metal too.  I was in the process of making bronze when the rhesus hordes broke through the military lines and into the peasantry.  The name of the fortress, as well as the fortress itself, were soon after lost to history.

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

KingOfBudgies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 05:12:37 pm »

I am a VERY recent convert to Dwarf Fortress (courtesy of Minecraft, which prominently lists this as one of its influences) - I only started playing at around 00.31.16.  As such, I am very, VERY ashamed that I can only vaguely remember my fortress - I abandoned it after roaches ate all my food, and I still hadn't figured out farming and didn't want to lose my first Fortress to something so petty.  Since then, I have repeated this pattern of "start a fortress, learn something new, cock something else up" for the past week (learning to take along cats to kill vermin, learning how to farm, learning not to rely on farming as your main food source owing to the fact that cooking destroys seed and even though brewing gives you more you still have to wait for the food to grow, learning how to use reservoirs to irrigate, learning to get farms up and running as fast as possible, learning not to accidentally close off construction areas and accidentally flood your fort, learning to take some war dogs to protect against wild animals and thieves...).  It's only today that I've finally produced a fortress that I am starting to feel proud of - I've got steady sources of food and booze, a well, nice dining rooms and bedrooms, large stockpiles, and both plentiful stone and soil to use for construction and train up my miners.  Will I cock this up eventually?  Since I haven't had any practice with managing a military, probably.  But as a newbie who's finally managed to accomplish something he's proud of, I'm feeling good right now.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 05:24:59 pm »

Well, I played the old 2-D version once, but got bored with 12 FPS (old computer).  The first fort I really stuck to was back on 3-D (I forget the version), where I played a week yet only got to year 2 because of 12FPS again (8 after first migrant wave, which always caught me unprepared).  It was in this EPIC valley, the cliffs were made out nothing but chalk and magnetite! (Besides for several aluminum and platinum clusters...)  But I eventually got bored.  I tried a few more forts, but the first one to really be successful was in a human town, I had built a perimeter wall of stone and fought off several goblin waves, and peirced the double-aquifer in two places while losing only a half-dozen dwarves to flash-freeze!  The last thing I ordered before becoming too bored/busy to play anymore was start work on a tower of ice and a very shoddy bunker...

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:00 pm »

I had little trouble figuring out how to chop trees and mine, although I didn't really think in terms of Z-Levels and built my whole fort in the side of a hill. I never learned how to assign beds, and I didn't know how soon migrants would arrive, so when they finally did, I had no stone or anything, because I thought if I just kept mining straight ahead I'd find it. Eventually I mined into the side of a large lake and everybody drowned.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4