Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Remember your first Fortresss?  (Read 3266 times)

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remember your first Fortresss?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »

I remember quite well my first fortress. Almost all my dwarves were unhappy so I tried to make a waterfall. Bad idea. I flooded the dining room, the food stockpile and my farm ( No doors ). Since the booze was now inaccessible, my dwarves were drinking at the brook. Obviously a goblin ambush appeared between them and the fortress and they got slaughtered.
My remaining guys got killed in a vain attempt to save the most precious item of my fortress : the artifact leather leggings of my only (and dead) soldier.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 04:38:02 pm »

I remember that I had a bronze collossus near my first fortress that I couldn't get rid off. It never got into my fortress but it killed countless migrants who chose to path their way to the fortress through it. I recruited a couple of peasants and actually thought that they could destroy it in wrestle mode - which of course failed horribly. I ended up building a long wall all around it. Lots of works because it was pre-multiwalling times.  :o <- my face when it toppled a wall section for the lulz. In the end the fortress fell because of failure food&drink management from my side.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 04:41:24 pm »

I remember my second fort. The location was perfect, save for the lack of magma, and I would kill to have that site in 31.18.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 05:36:15 pm »

First fort, figuring out how to build a well and dying to a single carp while doing so. 6th fort was learning to play with magma.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mahou Shoujo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »

First it flooded with plump helmets, then it flooded with water.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 06:56:35 pm »

I can't remember what was going on in my last fort, let alone my first fort.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 08:44:02 pm »

I'm not sure what my first fort was, and I still feel like I'm only just above the novice stage. However, the first one I remember had a major problems with water. I flooded my farm, all nicely set up inside the entrance. Wait, you mean you have to DRAIN it as well? 7/7 water does not evaporate very fast... I ended up carving a resevoir entirely underneath the farm, and punctured a hole int eh bottom. I don't think I even lost any dwarves there.

That fort actually became almost self-feeding, then when I was trying to build a fancier and better farm, with these magical floodgates I read about, I couldn't figure out how to set them up without locking my people behind them, let alone attaching them to a magical lever. Then after I gave up with teh floodgates, I struck an aquifer. The aquifer didn't flood my place nearly as fast as I thought it would, but there was no way I was going to expand my fortress from there.

Other than this one, my chronic problem with embarks was always the first winter, when everyone would die of thirst. Now the first thing I always build is a muddy farm, and next is a well. NO THIRST EVERMORE! Until I got lazy, thought I was invincible, and lost a few more fortresses.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:28 pm »

I remember my first fortress.

Back in the 2D era and I thought I was doing REEEEEAL GOOD. Seriously, I was FARMING by the cave riverside. Without any deaths. Didn't have any alcohol though, and didn't want to risk dwarfs getting flooded away by the river, so I built a well in the middle of my communal barracks.

All the dwarves went to bed and... A shit tonne of frogmen jumped out of the well and slaughtered them whilst they were sleeping.

That was the day I fell in love with Dwarf Fortress.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:38 pm »

I dug a hole into the side of a cliff to watch a murky pool drain.  I was so excited, then thought for a moment that it might flood my fortress, despite it being on the same Z plane about 100 tiles away from this tiny pool.

Then I tried to channel the water inside, which was doomed to failure.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:33 pm »

My first fort is actually still (mostly) thriving, albeit in a 40d installation. It's been a while since I touched it, since I've been adventuring. :)

The FPS is still relatively fine - usually hangs out at around 45-50 with many idle dwarves, though entrance dances coupled with fresh goblinite can drive it all the way down to 9 sometimes. I need to start smashing rock and all the worthless goblin stuff I have strewn everywhere. Sieges are still a bit of a nailbiter since my favorite dwarves are all in the military, and we have no water. (This was due to me not being able to make head nor tail of the embark map) So I send Roughshield's brave forces out, knowing that any leg injury dooms them to death.

Soon I plan to finally start my first 2010 fort. I am certain much Fun will be had.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 12:05:00 am »

My first fortress was a nightmare trying to work out how to do anything.

Having to build a road to the map's edge to get caravans was particularly brutal.  Needing to learn how to build bridges and roads and smoothing boulders was kinda fun though.

I barely remember how the flooding of the underground river used to work in 2D, but I did manage to get a farm going from the flood in 2D.  Strangely it was the horrendous learning curve that attracted me to the game.  I hope that underground farming stays on muddied tiles only.  When it was (briefly I think) allowed on any underground soil it was too easy.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 01:49:41 am »

mine was a 3 tile wide tunnel carved into a mountain, It was fun, even though it took me hours to figure out how to build things, and even longer to understand the rest of the interface.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 02:08:38 am »

2D fortress, I was always annoyed you couldn't smooth mineral vein walls, so I spent hours building an aesthetic layout that didn't have mineral veins cutting thorugh bedrooms. 
I had two entrances, one big one that i used, and one small one that I got from digging the only copper vein that wasn't part of a wall.  I had a long tunnel reaching to the magma river (was it ever possible to cross that thing?), and soldiers patrolling it for the mole dogs that kept magically appearing halfway down it. 
Without volume control the music got so stuck in my head that I'd still hear it even after I'd gone to bed.  What a game!

I got bored eventually, came back to df several months later and wtf, z-levels and smoothable mineral veins and all sorts of crazy shiet!  My first 40d fortress was in a sand bank with stairs everywhere from trying to work out how to traverse z-levels...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 03:03:39 am »

Yep a sparsely forested region that was perfectly flat and had a double aquifer under the first layer of loam.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 03:47:06 am »

I had found DF while looking for roguelikes to play so after my schools ancient computer chugged out a world I, knowing nothing at all about the game besides that it had ASCII graphics embarked on a river and did not even figure out how to dig until year three. The save is lost to time and the fact that the school has deep freeze on the computers. After that I did some wiki diving and learned a lot. Biggest thing I learned though was that the wiki was actually useful and not some midden heap.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4