Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Remember your first Fortresss?  (Read 3267 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Remember your first Fortresss?
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:48:42 am »

I had countless false starts getting to know the game, but the one I actually sort of got somewhere with (then got bored and abandoned) was called Fortunecrafts.

It lived up to its name, turbning out loads of bone and rock crafts.  I think it got up to 50 dwarves. then I was bored and decided to try and create some Boatmurdered style Fun.  I tried flooding the fort, but the most I got was underground rice paddies.  Not the most exciting first fort, but with it I learned the basics and finally got into the game.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remember your first Fortresss?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:01:34 am »

No.. There were so many that starved to death or all died of thirst or drowned in my misguided attempts to create a water system or were eaten by countless monsters (mostly undead, though ogres always seem to find me too) that I honestly cannot even remember my first truly successful fort.

I think its partly cause every time I mastered some basic level I immediately moved to try something else; figure out shelter, die of starvation, figure out food, all the water freezes and you die of thirst, figure how to store water and better booze, well then I decide to try to play with flowing liquids, finally work those out (sort of, I just flooded a fort the other day..) time to play with magma, etc, etc.

I never like just settled into a good build, I always pushed it (and the moment I figured all the basics I immediately went for the haunted biomes) so it took forever for me to really have a long running successful fort.

Wow.. That was a lot of words to not answer a question :)

-MB

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:03:28 am »

I remember my first fort that worked back in 40d. While I can't remember the name I can clearly recall the layout of it. The entrance was enclosed by a huge moat filled from the stream and I was working on walling it all around with good success. I even managed to make a pair of very nice archer towers for my huge force of elite crossbowmen. The entrance itself however was just a huge pile of vomit around a hole in the ground which always disgusted me greatly. It was awesome just how much I managed to do in that fort. I had a working waterfall in the dining room, a baron, a hammerer, a tax collector (and accompanying economy) and I was trying to get a goblin drowning trap working and a dam across the river. It had over 100 dwarves by the end and had to be spread over 10 levels of workshops/bedrooms and endless stockpiles.

I had great fun in that fort. Learning just how dangerous carp were. During my project to make the waterfall, a carp managed to get a big name by killing numerous masons trying to finish building the lone pump to fill my waterfall project before dragging a champion wrestler who broke it's neck before drowning himself. This prompted a great purge of the river by the marks dwarf squad. I only abandoned because I had felt that I had done most things possible... and the lack of goblins to kill.

Anyway, I don't think that the point was to ask a question. Just to get you thinking about your first fort.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:59 am »

I remember it, but I don't remember the name. I remember walling the boyer in with her own workshop and not realizing until the miasma poured out of it. I remember fruitless farms planted along the few patches of soil there. I remember a terrain so totally chaotic that even knowing what I do now, I still don't know wtf I would've done to make it defensible.

Dadou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:46:18 am »

I remember water. Too much of it.
No magma, no Fun.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

I remember building a dull little functioning fortress, which I abandoned on 31st March due to release of 31.01. Then I built a dull little functioning fortress in 31.01 that I abandoned due to countless bugs. Thus began my DF experience.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:10 pm »

My first fort was a little burrow in the side of a sand hill, but back then i didn't think dwarves needed alcohol and was perfectly fine with letting them walk out to the river, they had all killed themselves by the end of the year.... :'(
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:31 pm »

My first fort was more like a mad mining expedition gone underwater.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:56 pm »

I remember Joyousbridges, no humans or goblins but still losing at least 10 dwarves a year to sturgeon. There is no way the drinking water in that place was safe. There were at least 20 dwarf corpses within five tiles of it. Good times...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 12:28:43 pm »

Roughboot - 40d. one big layer of one of each type of non-fuel workshop. exporting massive amounts of high quality crap. all dug into a sand layer with 1 huge farm - everyone eats mushrooms, and drinks mushroom wine. On the bottom availiable layer, an obscene linear layout of 3x3 rooms for everyone and one big dining hall. the whole place lacked elegance, but pleased me as it worked at a very basic level. even had a military - 20 or so crossbow armed dorfs, leather gear, bone bolts, all hanging round on a single tile wide exterior wall bounded by a 1 tile wide moat held back from flooding my fort by a forbidden door. i had a pet project too - i channelled an artificial bottleneck out of what was a large hill and used walls to make it the only approach to my fortress gate (wel, "gap in wall", and it contained various traps that accounted for all invaders. even had firing points overlooking it, and an animal explosion trap. carp in a local pond killed my first dwarf - i remember panicing like mad as his body was pretty much unreachable to me in my n00b days. it fell when the economy kicked in - noone had anywhere to live anymore as all rooms were engraved by a legendary engraver. didnt make that mistake again.
This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »

No.. There were so many that starved to death or all died of thirst or drowned in my misguided attempts to create a water system or were eaten by countless monsters (mostly undead, though ogres always seem to find me too) that I honestly cannot even remember my first truly successful fort.

I think its partly cause every time I mastered some basic level I immediately moved to try something else; figure out shelter, die of starvation, figure out food, all the water freezes and you die of thirst, figure how to store water and better booze, well then I decide to try to play with flowing liquids, finally work those out (sort of, I just flooded a fort the other day..) time to play with magma, etc, etc.

I never like just settled into a good build, I always pushed it (and the moment I figured all the basics I immediately went for the haunted biomes) so it took forever for me to really have a long running successful fort.

Wow.. That was a lot of words to not answer a question :)

-MB

this :D

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »

I was lucky and read the wikis so the Bodice of Socketing (before I figured out the controls enough to even random gen a name) survived for a remarkable 5 seasons before succumbing to FPS death (I didn't know to clean up rock and mined extensively, just getting to stone on the stocks screen crashed the game). I fell in love with the game because my awful military ran into some goblins in a trap field, one dwarf lost her lover and her upper arm, dragged herself to bed, the goblins meanwhile butchered the troop.  Then Muthkat (for that was her name) got up and slaughtered all of them.  She became militia commander, went from green straight to "doesn't care about anything anymore". I also accidentally caught a bronze collosus (I went overboard with traps) and made him into a gladiator. Bodice of Socketing was awesome.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 02:08:25 pm »

The first one I made that actually got somehwere was in the middle of grassy plain. It lasted 3 years before I abandoned to goblins and flooding.

But my very first fort ever was much shorter. I abandoned it after my miner dug out the bottom of a mountain, which then fell ontop of him.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 02:15:50 pm »

I remember that one quite well.
No iron at all, lots of lead, gold and silver , very poor trap design and statues blocking the in-fort trade depot
Also I remember not being able to figure out what the hell is with all the red dots all over my food stockpiles and why dwarfs are so miserable from eating their favourite plump helmets for 3 years.
Still, the funniest thing I remember is chatting with a friend of mine that was a die-hard df hardcore back in the day, and telling him how excited i was about having huge microcline vein for my rooms. It took me a week of playing to understand wtf was so hilarious about me saying that. (And realising thatmaydays set makes microcline wall tile appear as a gem)

quartic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21:00 pm »

My first fortress: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2824-diamondsect

I had been reading through tons of tutorials and watched and read a bunch of let's plays, so I had an ok idea of what was going on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4