Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I WANT DOOM!How to generate a world with lots of doom?  (Read 1890 times)

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I WANT DOOM!How to generate a world with lots of doom?
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:49:43 am »

I would like to have a MAINLY EVIL world with lots of evil monsters and FORGOTTEN BEASTS due to roleplaying

I want to get torn apart by FUN!!!!!

Pls tell me how to create such a world

THX!

Barbarossa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: I WANT DOOM!How to generate a world with lots of doom?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:25:30 am »

Generate a map with advanced parameters and set the minimum evil tiles way up, number of megabeasts up, etc.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:29:12 am »

also, set the number of caves up to the max and make their size 1-50
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:21 am »

I cant,it always fails to create a world
SAD

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:54:28 am »

For a moment, I thought this was going to be a Doom mod for DF (Doom Fortress). Basically, it would be in similar vein to Doom Rogulike, except adapted for DF. Dwarves would be marines, Humans could be, well Humans (surviving Hell on Earth), Elves could be UAC operatives (they get killed alot anyway).

As for the other races, they could be the different classes of monsters that you face throughout the game, like an imp race, or zombified humans/UAC/Marines, and so on. Megabeasts can include Cyberdemons or the big demon head thing with John Carmack's head inside that spawns the new enemies at you in the final level, except this time, that sucker is mobile. (Adventure Mode; "John Carmack's head" is a target you can hit).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This mod could share some traits of Wastelands in regards to having guns and all. Getting BFGs to work properly would be a bit of a challenge. I think those could only be made uber-effective if they (including the ammo packs) are crafted out of adamantine. Plasma guns (again, better materials for more effect, like the adamantine) in great numbers can spell overkill with a well-trained army of marines.

DISCLAIMER:
Copyrights and yadda yadda yadda; more what I wanted to say is, I lack the modding skill, but I like the concept of Doom Fortress. If anyone is willing to take a crack at making this, feel free to do so.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:59:13 am by Itnetlolor »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:55:39 am »

I cant,it always fails to create a world
SAD
well, allow it to reject over and over and when any panels show up, press [t]
it will allow the parameter indicated on that panel to be attempted to be achieved, but if it is not, it will continue anyway
there may be many panels, but it will work eventually, however, it may take quite a long time
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:33:04 pm »

A problem I've noticed with worlds that have a lot of evil land is that you need to keep an eye out for the civilizations, chances are there won't be a dwarf civ to send you migrants if all the mountains are evil. keeping the amount of evil down in the largest regions might help you keeping the mountains normal.

Good luck!  :)
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:47:19 pm »

Last time I messed around with good/evil tiles, no dwarf civs were genned AT ALL. That means that at start of the game when you choose mode, there's only adventurer and legends to select from. :)

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:53:00 pm »

Doom? I'm gonna sing the doom song now!

doomdoomdoom dodoom doom doomdedoomdedoomdeDOOOOM... doom
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:05:28 pm »

Last time I messed around with good/evil tiles, no dwarf civs were genned AT ALL. That means that at start of the game when you choose mode, there's only adventurer and legends to select from. :)
Yeah, this is what I meant earlier, I can't remember exactly what the effects are, but unless there's a neutral mountain there won't be dwarves. Mountains are usually large, so set the numbers on those subregions reasonably low.

Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post: make sure they (a dwarven civ) survived worldgen as well if you want those migrants.  ;)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:42:46 am »

Okay, I just decided to start a new fortress and thought I'd generate a new world and try to make it quite evil.
Now I did cut it down a bit to allow the civs (elves) to spawn if you don't want them you can increase the "evil tiles in small subregions" or what it is called and get almost 100% evil except for the mountains (where the dwarven civs spawn).
Just copy the spoilered part into df/init/world_gen.txt and put it at the end and it should show up when you select "design a world with advanced parameters".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've generated three worlds and so far all the civs has been there every time, but you might still want to double check it in case you care about migrants arriving, or traders.

Have Fun!