Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort to strong to fall (13.14)  (Read 738 times)

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort to strong to fall (13.14)
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:44:55 am »

For the past 2 months I've had an incredibly stable fortress. So far the fortress has been around for 23 years and has been through 19 forgotten beasts, Three megabeasts, 3 of those smaller ones and an 11 page long list of deceased creatures.  Some how I have managed to do with only 50 dwarves, only 8 in the militia, four hammer-dwarfs and four marks-dwarfs. The reasons I think the fortress survived was because cause of the HUGE metal industry It has.(over 1100 bars, no coke because of the magma in the first cavern)
       Almost an entire legendary workforce i.e. 2 furnace operators, blacksmith, armor-smith, metal-crafter, weapon-smith, clothes-maker, weaver, dyer, 2 cooks, bookkeeper, the entire militia, 4 miners/ engravers, 3 woodworkers, 2 masons 2 bone-crafters, 2 stone-crafters, a glassworker and mechanic. I've also been able to get a barony.
      I embarked in a glacier for the challenge, but I think it backfired. I really want to play 13.18 but I don't want to cheaply end my fortress. I've started 2 megaprojects and have finished 1. I honestly don't know what to do to make it fall, I need help. D:
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Fort to strong to fall (13.14)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:49:26 am »

It's possible moving the fort to 31.18 and updating the raws might result in goblin invasions; 31.14 prevents enemies from sieging your fort except forgotten beasts and their ilk.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:53:20 am »

I embarked in a glacier for the challenge,

Apply magma. Wait.

(hint: I've never seen a whole fortress melt before)
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:02:22 am »

If you want to have some framerate-frying Fun, here's what I'd suggest.

Build an Orbital Magma Cannon. Basically, floor off the entire map about 5 Z-levels above the highest single point, all from a single massive tower somewhere on the map in which you are pumping up MAGMA, powered a windmill farm so vast that whole flocks of birds fly into it and turn into chum.

Now, for an orbital magma cannon, what you do is have a hatch every 5 or so squares, on both X and Y axis, so you have a grid of squares. About a 5x5 section of hatches (so, 25x25 total squares or so) would be connected to a single lever somewhere in your fortress. On the ground levels of your map, you place notes with targeting coordinates, and you apply the same notes to your lever room.

Basically, what you want is a 5 or 10 z-tall reservoir of MAGMA above the map, sitting pretty, so that when you [P]ull the Lever, a shower of magma rains down on the grid coordinates of your choice, causing much Fun for anyone caught in the blast radius. At least, that's how it works normally; you get invaders, look up their coordinates and pour molten !!Fun!! from the skies onto them.

But in this case, since you want some dramatic !!Fun!! for the whole !!Fortress!!, I'd suggest you disassemble all your doors and floodgates and hatch covers and rain fire down on the whole freaking glacier. If you set up the pumps right (by 'right' I mean 'can't be turned off' and immediately disassemble your targeting room, there'll be no stopping the rain of magma. You'll have all the !!Fun!! you could ask for.

Or, you know, if Operation:Fuck the World is too much damn trouble to unleash these days, you could just draft everybody as a wrestler, dig down into the cotton candy and find a drinking straw...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:26:05 am »

Just unleash HFS, duh.