Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3D Modeler Looking to Help  (Read 969 times)

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
3D Modeler Looking to Help
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:57:19 pm »

Hey everyone,

I know the main Dwarf Fortress game doesn't require a 3D Modeler but I am wondering if the developers from any of those 3D Visualization programs made for dwarf fortress need a 3D modeler to create objects for use in the program? I am looking for a part in developing a program so that I can get some practice. At first I might need a bit of direction and education but I think I could be a real asset. :)

Backlands

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Modeler Looking to Help
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:48:20 pm »

there's not really one very active, right now, you're out of luck

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:00:29 pm »

Someone needs to start a new visualizer, like a stonesense crossed with overseer.

NOW.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:47:22 pm »

I would also donate some effort if any such project could benefit.  I specialize in hi-res models, mostly in zbrush.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:58:02 pm »

I'd be willing to help too. I prefer nonorganic stuff, and I work in Blender.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:44:15 am »

This could be a pretty good idea, if we can get some programmers in here perhaps. I'm sure there are plenty in the forums! Also, I am wondering how much of a demand there is for a new 3D visualizer? So anyone out there with an opinion on the topic please join in and give some input. It would be great to see if this is something that more people are interested in seeing.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:37:23 am »

Demand is high. Supply of competant, experienced programmers are woefully limited.

Though I know a thing or two about coding, I know nothing about implementing 3D graphics.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:38:20 am »

I think the biggest question is just what can be done that hasn't already?  There are limitations to how much data can be extracted from the game and what can be done with that data, right?  Between Overseer and Stonesense, I just don't know what else to realistically hope for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.