Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play - Europa Universalis 3! (Choose What Version + Nation!)  (Read 7539 times)

Introduction

Europa Universalis 3 is that crazy new (as in, within the last few years!) game from Paradox Interactive. It is essentially a turn-based real-time strategy game. It's also epic. Completely.

Heir to the Throne is it's latest expansion pack which completely changes a metric shit tonne of mechanics (mainly involving inheritance of countries, royal marriages etc) and makes the game extra Fun.

Magna Mundi is the most commonly used mod for the game (even coming ahead of the normal game in terms of what percentage of players use it). It makes lots more Fun for us to enjoy, adds historic accuracy and makes the game a lot less fluid in terms of historical accuracy.

Choices

You guys have two options for what version of the game to play:-

A) Heir to the Throne
Pros:-
  • More fluid history.
  • Starting choices allow you to go wherever the hell you like.
  • Tested and unbuggy.
  • More fun.
Cons:-
  • Less Fun.
  • Less historically accurate.
  • Less diversity.
  • Less chance of seeing me brutally fuck up. (Still a fairly high chance!)

NOTE: As an additional option for Heir to the Throne (but not Magna Mundi due to scriptbreaking), you can choose to watch a dynasty instead of a country. Allows far more gameplay switches and hilarity as the Timurids become members of the English royal family or some stupidity like that.

B) Magna Mundi
Pros:-
  • Far more Fun than Heir to the Throne.
  • More historically accurate.
  • More diversity in starting positions and overall gameplay. (Example: Playing as a Japanese Shogunate uniting Japan or playing as the Knights of St John smashing against the Muslim world compared to playing as Japan as a sea nation and the Knights of St John as a sea nation.)
  • More chances of brutal fuck ups! (YEY!)
Cons:-
  • Far more difficult (need to start as a major world power) to change world history. I can tell you now that the Ottoman Empire will probably invade and conquer most of Europe, Sweden will unite Scandanavia and colonise Canada, Portugal will colonise Africa and the Eastern half of South America and Spain will get the West. Only with massive effort as England could you stop some of that.
  • Can be "locked into" a path from the traits you get forced onto you from the start. Difficult / impossible to divert from that path.
  • Can be quite buggy.
  • Can be less fun if we play as a landlocked minor power.

CHOOSE NOW!

As a bonus option (completely and truly free!), you also get to pick what country (or dynasty!) you want to play as. Here are some examples, but this is definitely not a comprehensive list:-

For Both:-
  • England / Scotland:- Unite the isles into Great Britain and colonise the New World.
  • Ming (China):- Fulfill the Mandate of Heaven and have all of the Eurasian world in your Merciless grasp.
  • Holy Roman Empire:- Act as a member of the Holy Roman Empire and use cunning, brute force and diplomacy to have the Electors crown you Emperor before uniting the squabbling states into a single, unified force.
  • The Papal State:- Be the Pope himself and either conquer and unite Italy or play the factions of Europe off against one another.
  • Golden Horde:- Invade the various Slavic countries under the banner of the Golden Horde.
  • The Teutonic Order:- Show the infidels of the Baltic what Christian steel can do.

Heir to the Throne:-
  • The Timurids: Make Europe shudder before the might of one of the strongest Hordes ever known in history.
  • Byzantium: Create the new Greek Orthodox Empire out of the ashes of the Ottoman Empire.

Magna Mundi:-
  • Japanese Shogunate:- Sure, it's possible to play as Japan in Heir to the Throne, but it's not possible to play as one of the squabbling Shogunates, seeking to unite Japan under their banner in a variety of wars of succession.
  • Knights of St John:- With a variety of unique events, decisions and the like, the Knights of St John seek to keep the Mediterranean clear of Muslim pirates whilst perhaps practicing a little bit of piracy themselves.
  • Greek Minor Nations:- Unite the disparate Greek nations under the banner of Byzantine and show those Ottoman scum who the real bosses are around here.
  • Aztlan:- Crush the opposition in Central America and prepare yourself for an attack of European scum. Perhaps spread to the rest of the Americans, too, putting those provinces under our Azteca rule.

CHOOSE NOW!

I'll be updating this when I get five votes for a single version option or by Sunday if we get less than that. :p

Just ask questions about other chooseable nations and I'll be happy to supply. I've just put down the "fun" ones for now.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - Europa Universalis 3! (Choose What Version + Nation!)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:36:50 pm »

Game: Magna Mundi

Nation: Oirat Horde

DO IT!

Reasoning: It's a powerful Tribal Horde faction, bordering Ming. The creators of the mod have dubbed it, quote: "unplayable". It's enormous territory is comprised of mediocre-at-best provinces and starts with an Overwhelmed Administration. People has claimed successes with them, as far as forming Qing and then conquering all of China + Horde provinces. It very challenging though and requires some very aggressive action from the very start(the kind Magna Mundi punishes you for) in order to survive until the later phase.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »

The Knights, in either. I want to see if they're possible.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:06:22 pm »

Play as Byzantium and see if you can beat my restored empire by 1427!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:11:43 pm »

Aztlan! We shall colonize europe!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:43:50 pm »

Eh, so by MM, do you mean MMU of MMP? O.o

In any case, I dare you to go as Korea and aim from conquest of Asia.

Korea is a minor nation on a peninsula beside Manchu and a neighbor of Ming and Japan. It's provinces are of rather poor quality and there aren't that many either, so an economic foundation is a no-go. It is almost impossible for it to expand without taking some kind of aggressive actions and willingly take some stab hits, which are *fatal* in MM, as I've painfully learned, and you have to do it while being wary of Ming at the same time.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:51:17 pm »

Eh, so by MM, do you mean MMU of MMP? O.o

:|

I don't know.

So far:-
MM: 3
HTTT: 1
Abstain: 1

I'm leaning towards an Asian country. Thanks for suggesting the ones that will collapse within a decade, guys. :p
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:56 pm »

As in Magna Mundi Ultimate (HttT MM) or Magna Mundi Platinum (IN MM)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:06:52 pm »

Ah, I have Heir to the Throne.

Why so many versions with different names?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »

Magna Mundi
Ming

I've never seen anyone play a Ming game on MM, sounds interesting with the curveballs MM throws at you.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:09:52 pm »

Magna Mundi Ultimate.
Unite Japan where I failed.
Takeda/ That one Naval province.
Takeda for full military at start, that one Naval country in Japan for colonizing California.
Takeda is that one brown province in the middle of Japan. That one Naval one is an Island off the east coast of Japan.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:12:39 pm by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:05 pm »

The Knights, in either. I want to see if they're possible.
I abstain from the version decision, but I like the Knights of St. John. If not them, Westernize Aztlan and make it crazy powerful. If not them, Saudi Arabia.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:58:09 pm »

Japanese Shogunate or Aztlan
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:35 am »

HTTT.

Magna Mundi sounds like it locks the game into more of a linear storyline game then the spirit of EUIII, one of the funnest parts of EUIII is watching how the world turns out several hundred years down the line & how it doesn't end up like real life. Reading the OP for example: How is it fun if the Ottoman Empire invades and conquers most of Europe every single game?

Don't know what to suggest for you to play...
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:38:50 am »

MM, doesn't really lock you into a linear storyline; you force that upon yourself so that you don't get screwed over too much. It's just that MM is harder, and forces a lot of details upon you to consider when the vanilla doesn't. Of course, the Ottoman empire doesn't necessarily invade and conquer Europe every game- in fact, it's rather hard to do that myself on MMP. But yeah.

I still call MM!
Pages: [1] 2