Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Antimatter atoms trapped for the first time. HURRR  (Read 3044 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antimatter atoms trapped for the first time. HURRR
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 01:08:21 am »

The problem is even further compounded when you recognise that in order to even transport matter you need a HUGE magnetic field. There is no material that can store antimatter meaning it would also have to be put into a vacuum

Nuke's are relatively simple in comparison.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 01:11:26 am »

Containing it is hard as hell, but setting of of is as easy as turning off the power.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 01:16:49 am »

There could be a gun that first shoots something that creates a vacuum bubble behind it before shooting out a sphere of magnets that contains a small globe of antimatter. When the device that creates the vacuum hits something, it sticks. When the magnet sphere crashes into the first projectile, the globe of antimatter hits the shell of magnets due to its inherent inertia, causing it to annihilate the first part of the projectile. Not only do you have a big (radiation) explosion, the ammunition destroys itself to promote a healthy environment. Nobody needs to pick up shell casings for antimatter rounds.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 01:17:53 am »

There could be a gun that first shoots something that creates a vacuum bubble behind it before shooting out a sphere of magnets that contains a small globe of antimatter. When the device that creates the vacuum hits something, it sticks. When the magnet sphere crashes into the first projectile, the globe of antimatter hits the shell of magnets due to its inherent inertia, causing it to annihilate the first part of the projectile. Not only do you have a big (radiation) explosion, the ammunition destroys itself to promote a healthy environment. Nobody needs to pick up shell casings for antimatter rounds.

That sphere would be huge.

So that gun would be more like a cannon... A huge one!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 01:19:27 am »

Or you could drop the containment chamber, and turn the power off when its right over there heads.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 01:22:01 am »

Or you could drop the containment chamber, and turn the power off when its right over there heads.

The giant self-contained magnetic chamber that uses an excessive amount of power?

What are you lifting it with? A flying Nuclear power plant?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 01:23:56 am »

SPACE DEATH STATION OF DOOM

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 01:27:17 am »

The giant self-contained magnetic chamber that uses an excessive amount of power?

What are you lifting it with? A flying Nuclear power plant?
You don't need to lift it, obviously something this heavy should float in space instead.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 02:02:04 am »

Its called a particle trap and antimatter is currently the most expensive material in the entire world. It is literally cheaper to build a B-2 bomber and gold plate it and then bomb the planet until it glows purple than build antimatter weapons to do the same thing. Expect no antimatter weapons until we have a far more efficient way to make it.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 02:07:15 am »

Its called a particle trap and antimatter is currently the most expensive material in the entire world. It is literally cheaper to build a B-2 bomber and gold plate it and then bomb the planet until it glows purple than build antimatter weapons to do the same thing. Expect no antimatter weapons until we have a far more efficient way to make it.

You probably could stud the Golden B-2 Bomber in diamonds too AND give each person working on this project their own Gold plated B-2 Bomber for cheaper.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 02:12:30 am »

Not if its gold we transmutate from lead in a partical accellerator.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 02:16:03 am »

Not if its gold we transmutate from lead in a partical accellerator.

Yeah in that case we can only give half of them their gold plated planes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 02:22:41 am »

Can you actually put a price on an object that exists for a tenth of a second?  I mean, it's not "priceless" like love or some shit because it is actually a thing, but it doesn't stay around long.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 02:25:43 am »

Then it's not priceless, it's valueless.  No one would pay money for something that would be gone before the transaction ended.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 04:37:30 am »

Can you actually put a price on an object that exists for a tenth of a second?  I mean, it's not "priceless" like love or some shit because it is actually a thing, but it doesn't stay around long.

You can put a price on the devices and processes required to make it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3