Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampires: Not just for adventure mode night creatures anymore!  (Read 3739 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Vampires: Not just for adventure mode night creatures anymore!
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:07:13 am »

OK, vampires will probably end up as adventure mode night creatures. It just makes sense. Wouldn't you want your hero to end up as a vampire slaying badass?

But, I just thought up a way that vampires could be involved in fortress mode.

They'd show up as migrants, looking pretty normal if pale. This also requires the addition of pale dwarves. However, once they get the thirsty tag (The only tag they can get apart from Needs to slumber), they suck the blood of dwarves, causing the dwarves to become vampires or they just die! The original gets rid of the thirsty tag for about a month.

However, this is not bad. A fortress filled with starving vampires is basically a death trap for anyone unlucky enough to decide to come in. This means nobles, elves, goblins and kobolds are all screwed. Another thing is that anyone who becomes a vampire follows your every order until they get thirsty.

This has the potential to become Fun. Imagine boatmurdered becoming infected with a vampire outbreak while fighting the smoke insanity? It'd be the most hilarious thing ever.

Combined with the idea of zombies being able to infect people, and forgotten beast diseases, you end up with a fortress of zombies, vampires and people with no eyes or skin. And the smell. That would not smell nice.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:39:14 am by Fniff »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires: Not just for adventure mode night creatures anymore!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:18:27 pm »

Wouldn't night creatures, you know, spontaneously combust in sunlight when they're walking towards your fort?

If you want vampires, it'd really have to be some kind of rabies-like bloodsucking disease spread by bats.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:32:57 pm »

Im not sure. I mean really, what happens when 4 "vampire" dwarves come 10 minutes after someone starts a new game, and kills all the others? I have to say it sounds a bit overpowered

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:44:21 am »

I somewhat think this suggestion would have been much more productive if it was talking about creatures who can guise as Dwarves and how they interact with your fortress and possible ways to discover and counter them should they get inside, assuming you even want to. As well as how your other civs may react if your fortress was suddenly entirely made up of nightcreatures.

Vampires are just very specific

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:01:36 am »

True, so let's encompass that idea, with 'vampire' as an example. Has anyone actually encountered any night creatures in fortress mode yet? What do they do?
This sort of time-based transformation won't really work very well for fortress mode, since the timescale is different without the day/night cycle.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:14:41 am »

I don't disagree with dwarfs becoming vampires or, the inclusion of things like this in dwarf mode. But I don't think it should be in any way beneficial, or be able to sneak into your fort. I do however quite like the idea, of suddenly getting attacked by vampires sending your army out and leaving victoriously, only to a few months to a year down the road, have a dwarf suddenly go rough and start killing other dwarfs for their blood, only to be stopped by the military, and leaving the survivors as time bombs. Possibly diagnosable by a doctor, and curable, once some form of magic comes around, but not always accurate. I also thing this should be a type of syndrome, and we should include many many more, like werewolves and the such. It's much more entertaining fighting a zombie horde when every soldier you lose becomes a zombie himself. And I'm also fine with sunlight hurting them, 90 percent of the time, your dwarfs are inside, and in the caverns, so it really wouldn't make it any easier, though we would need some kind of day/night cycle, even if it's only relevant to night creatures, or we could just have them all come in from the caverns.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:50:19 am »

I think it'd be neat to have vampire infiltrators. They'd need to be very rare, and yeah, have some minor indicators (like pale skin, as mentioned). Whenever they become thirsty (which should probably be at a reduced rate to normal dwarves), they murder a dwarf instead of drinking booze, but otherwise can function in a fortress. Maybe also have it so there's a workshop order somewhere to "Hunt vampires" that consumes a wooden training spear and causes a dwarf to hunt down and attack a vampire.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:45:40 pm »

Im not sure. I mean really, what happens when 4 "vampire" dwarves come 10 minutes after someone starts a new game, and kills all the others? I have to say it sounds a bit overpowered

Well, they'd have to be quite rare, which is what I am kinda aiming at. Maybe the chance increases when you are near their lairs.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:25:00 pm »

what if this happened to Adventurers, as in your character in adventure mode?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 03:30:32 pm »

what if this happened to Adventurers, as in your character in adventure mode?

Hmm. That would lead to some interesting occasions.

Well, after being bitten a vampire, it says you are now infected with vamperism. There'd be a cure, possibly randomly generated every time, but if you wait three days with no cure, you become a vampire.

You would have to sleep indoors, you wouldn't be able to go into houses without asking and you would be instantly repelled by any religious symbol. The reason for the drawbacks is because we don't want adventurers being amazingly overpowered.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:30:51 pm »

Wait three days?

That there's Oblivion talk, child.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:15:31 pm »

Wait three days?

That there's Oblivion talk, child.

Sorry, it just creeps into my mind occasionally. For a while, I thought Oblivion had insane moments and Dwarf Fortress was incredibly boring. Then I learned how to play Adventure Mode.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 06:32:55 pm »

i found this one topic on the subject of Nightcreatures and curses. maybe we could look at it? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69033.msg1663984#msg1663984
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:18:12 am »

Well, they'd have to be quite rare, which is what I am kinda aiming at. Maybe the chance increases when you are near their lairs.

Make them like megabeast. They only can come after you reach a certain population, and export/import rate. Then they don't have be amazingly rare.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 04:33:22 am »

There's no "night" in Fortress Mode. There's no differentiation between day and night.

However, if they were purely subterranean vampires, that would make sense. I'm not sure what you'd call a subterranean vampire, but if he was sucking on the blood of dwarves, he'd be shortly headed to alcohol poisoning in very short order, thus being a self-solving problem.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: [1] 2