Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Safety Door Design  (Read 3701 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Safety Door Design
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:13 am »

Just a quick idea here.

What if one was to build a one-tile-wide corridor, put a door into it, dug away the floors above and below the door (or would that just make the door fall down? How about a floodgate then?), put a few tiles of 7/7 magma above the door and and pressurised water below it, and left it unlocked?

Would any invader coming through end up obsidianising himself? Would a building destroyer cause it?
Or would it not work at all? :O
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Safety Door Design
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:23:25 am »

You can't do the water part, sorry. However, the magma part will work beautifully in magmafying anything that comes through the door.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:25:44 am »

Hey, you stole my idea! :(

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:43 am »

You can't do the water part, sorry. However, the magma part will work beautifully in magmafying anything that comes through the door.

What about using a water chamber next to the door? so the magma comes from above, water from your left/right side.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:17 am »

Water moves diagonally, so it would just leak out to the corridor in front of and behind the door.

Apsophos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:21:49 am »

What if you make the corridor partly-immersed in, say, 3/7 water?

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:27:42 am »

3/7 dangerous though, so the enemies wouldn't want to go through.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:28:12 am »

You could put two doors on either side of the hallway, with magma/water above them.  I guess that would miss the point though.

Alternatively, you could have two doors, and 7/7 water in the middle.

mazterlith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:31:21 am »

You could put said door/floodgate at a corner of the corridor, allowing the water to come in diagonally but only when the door/floodgate was opened. They would only go through there if it was the fastest route, and I am sure you might make that be able to happen.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 12:52:03 pm »

So, for a design:
Code: [Select]
# #m#
# #M#
##D##
#W# #
#w# #

# Walls
D Door
W Water with floodgate
M Magma with floodgate
w water
m magma

All on one z-level! Anything coming through that door instantly gets obsidianised, and blocks the passageway to boot! Then, when it comes to reset, close both floodgates, dig out the door, rebuild door, and open floodgates! Now all we need is a reliable way to stop pets and dwarves from choosing it... forbidding the door? Let's just hope not butterflies decide to try and prop the door open...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:20:19 pm »

Great. When I was trying out the design, one of my miners was outrun by water and drowned while the other was outrun by magma and bled to death  >:( Stupid dorfs. Anyway, posting results of !!SCIENCE!! shortly.
Edit: and the farmer-turned miner whom I assigned to finally finish the magma-tunnel mining bled to death too. At least now only ~20 tiles separate me from the victory!
Edit 2:
Spoiler: Revel in my glory! (click to show/hide)
Edit 3: Tunnels filled. Forbade the door, opened floodgates, waited a couple of minutes, unforbade the door. Creating burrow in the door...
Edit 4: Burrow doesn't seem to work. Allowing pet passage, making the whole test room a meeting hall.
Edit 5: Meeting hall doesn't seem to work. Sensation: Dwarves aren't as stupid as their look! Okay, trying another burrow method.
Edit 6: Damn, damn, damn. Dwarves aren't going through the door no matter what. Walling off the only other way out except for the door.
Edit 7: Tired of waiting, I ordered the door deconstructed. An obsidian tile immediatly formed without any deaths. I ordered it mined out. It reformed. I ordered it mined out...
Verdict: FAILED.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:41:19 pm by Dariush »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 02:33:43 pm »

I prefer the AI Trap:

/-----\
|77777|
|+7+7+|
+7+O+7+
|77777|
\-----/

\ / | - O = wall
+ = door

This way, the doors don't need to be rebuilt after each use. The room can be easily drained in case of magma-safe goblinite. Obsidianizing is nowhere near as elegant or automatic.

Alternate AI Trap:
|.|
|.|
|.|
|.|
|.|
|+\-----
|+77777
|+/-----
|.|
|.|
|.|
|.|
|.|

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:36:34 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »

I prefer the AI Trap:

/-----\
|77777|
|+7+7+|
+7+O+7+
|77777|
\-----/

\ / | - O = wall
+ = door

This way, the doors don't need to be rebuilt after each use. The room can be easily drained in case of magma-safe goblinite. Obsidianizing is nowhere near as elegant.
Clever. Is the zigzagging pattern strictly necessary or will straight line do as well?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »

The zigzagging pattern is simply so I don't need to fill and drain each half of the chamber separately.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »

Hey, you stole my idea! :(
You're...actually right. I totally did. And then I added the obsidianising part  :D

Alright, new plan. How about pressurizing the water below the door, putting a 1/7 or 2/7 water-sensitive pressure plate into the hallway, and linking it to a ceiling hatch containing the magma?

PS: Imiknorris, ingenious! For magmafication, that's certainly quite perfect. But it fails to address the matter of sealing off the pasageway!
You know...in case there's magma-safe building destroyers around.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:01:21 pm by Shrugging Khan »
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!
Pages: [1] 2