Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Blood Management  (Read 3199 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Management
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »

Try using a staircase with a waterfall and a dirty water resivore at the bottom, best with minimal flow and an infinite source. Use a diagonal passage and a river/brook.

Also read http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70899.0
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 01:30:44 pm »

Channels with 2/7 water in them through all major traffic paths. Every dwarf, animal, and caravan that walks through it will get a bath. Even carried items are cleaned off.

One caution thou... I have initially put the channels in the real busy traffic paths. With so much traffic, the blood did not have time to flow into the drain. The result = subsequent dwarves walk straight into the toxic blood patches, causing much annoyance!
From now on I put the wash channels into less used roads.

The blood doesn't stick to the dwarf. The dwarf will receive a protective coating of water. If you check the dwarf's inventory you'll see the dwarf completely covered by water, but not a single drop of blood on the dwarf. It doesn't seem to matter how dirty or nasty the water in the channel is.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 04:40:15 pm »

Some constructions (floors and roads for sure, maybe some others) remove all contaminants from tile upon construction. Then you can remove them if you want.
Warning! This method will remove engravings as well!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 04:45:00 pm »

I generally smooth all the "important" sections of the fort, like the dining hall and noble rooms, and then never have a single dwarf ever again with the stone detailing labor. Designating tiles for smoothing/engraving also designates them for cleaning. I have my entire fort constantly designated for smoothing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 05:10:02 pm »

Try using a staircase with a waterfall and a dirty water resivore at the bottom, best with minimal flow and an infinite source. Use a diagonal passage and a river/brook.

Also read http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70899.0

Interesting thread.  In the name of dwarven over-complication I'm going to try using some of the ideas from that thread to create a combination water/magma shower that will help at least get my dwarfs clean.

From reading that thread, I gather that all of these principles are true:
  • Water and mist remove all contaminants from a dwarf and his clothing.
  • While covered in water a dwarf will not get any other coverings (blood) even when passing through a pool of contaminant.
  • Contaminants washed off by water will spread through the water, contaminants washed off by mist will fall on the floor.
  • Contaminants, including pools of blood, will not fall through grates or bars.
  • Magma destroys blood on contact.

I'm going to try building a setup that alternately showers a mostly (magma safe) grate floor in water to clean the dwarfs and then in magma to clean the blood.

I'll still have to figure out a sufficiently dwarfy way to clear the hallways, but hey, it's a start.
At last, she is done.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 06:22:57 pm »

I'll still have to figure out a sufficiently dwarfy way to clear the hallways, but hey, it's a start.

I'm going to try building a setup that . . . showers a mostly (magma safe) grate floor . . . in magma

Look.  I'm not one to just repeat catchphrases willy-nilly.  But if you're asking this forum for a dwarfy way to clear the halls, remember what forum this is.

--Rexfelum

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:49 am »

question: if a barrel is made of magma safe materials, but contains booze, and is submerged (briefly!) in magma, will everything turn out ok?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 12:20:28 am »

question: if a barrel is made of magma safe materials, but contains booze, and is submerged (briefly!) in magma, will everything turn out ok?

...are you trying to feed dwarfs super heated booze?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 02:35:07 am »

so... would it work to have one of those wading pools everyone's raving about, but put it on a retractable bridge over magma, so the pool can be "cycled" by retracting the bridge, letting the water and magma annihilate thus destroying the contaminants in the water, mining out the obsidian and starting over?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »

Wading pools do work but there isn't any need to clean them. The water will override any contaminants on the dwarf no matter how nasty the water in the pools are. If they are near a meeting zone idle dwarves will periodically clean out the pools, but as with all cleaning this is very random. Dwarves are not enthusiastic about cleaning anything. 

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 06:08:37 am »

...are you trying to feed dwarfs super heated booze?

:3

Superheated venom makes them combust, so...
(also, I'm thinking of certain thirsty-beasts)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 06:45:51 am »

If something is smoothed+engraved then it apears as if the dwarfs will prefer cleaning it over doing nothing. This means that with enough dwarfs doing nothing you can combat the blood. To achieve this simply take dwarf therapist and dissable all jobs except cleaning and stone detailing. Then select all bloodied areas for smoothing/engraving. then wait till it's cleaned.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 10:19:35 am »

There is a very simple solution to these problems that worked beautifully in my last 0.31.12 fort. Two things, smoothen walls, so that dwarves will go clean them, smoothening and engraving also remove contaminants, so itīs a free cleaning.

Second; Pumps clean water.
Make a small channel of 3-4 deep water, designate as high traffic zone. Make a pathway at the side that doesnīt go down into the water, as low traffic zone. This will make the dorfs try to walk through water, but will accept the other way. Afterward, build a pump that takes water from the channel, and dumps it back through a short tunnel, so the water is recycled. Tell someone to pump the water. The water will flow towards the pums intake, dragging with it blood (but for some reason leaving sand), then get sucked through the pump, which dumps out clean water. As long as there is a dorf pumping, dorfs will walk through the water and leave behing blood, which will be removed in the pump. With the remains of 10 dorfs and several goblins outside, this arrangement kept everyone cleaned when walking outside to gather goblinite.

By the way, 1st post.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 11:25:19 am »

dwarves seem to keep the hospital clean ... you can perhaps tell them "THIS AREA IS NOW A HOSPITAL" and they'll scramble to clean it?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »

Channels with 2/7 water in them through all major traffic paths. Every dwarf, animal, and caravan that walks through it will get a bath. Even carried items are cleaned off.

One caution thou... I have initially put the channels in the real busy traffic paths. With so much traffic, the blood did not have time to flow into the drain. The result = subsequent dwarves walk straight into the toxic blood patches, causing much annoyance!
From now on I put the wash channels into less used roads.

The blood doesn't stick to the dwarf. The dwarf will receive a protective coating of water. If you check the dwarf's inventory you'll see the dwarf completely covered by water, but not a single drop of blood on the dwarf. It doesn't seem to matter how dirty or nasty the water in the channel is.

Ok then so what would be causing occasional outbreak of toxic blood spreading in my case then....
One thing I gathered is that I have a grate where the water outflow is... occasionally a dwarf gets swept onto the tile where the grate is (and according to comments below, blood doesn't wash down the grates. I assume that this contact would be the cause of toxicity.
But as you said wet dwarf = protected dwarf so what could be the reason then.... ?
"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3