Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Blood Management  (Read 3207 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Blood Management
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:51:13 am »

So, there may be a thread about this already, but it's amazing how many hits you get when you include "blood" in your search terms on this board.

Here's my question:  How do you manage blood?  I like having it around, and I personally feel like turning off spread in the init is cheating.  I'd like to treat it as another challenge to overcome.  How do you actually get dwarfs to clean up pools?  What about themselves?  Are you able to keep a tidy fort despite Toady's best efforts?
At last, she is done.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Management
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:54:59 am »

The cleaning itself is bugged, but you could try flushing some water through the hallways where you have some blood. But then you'd just end up with mud instead.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:55:45 am »

And spread the blood elsewhere.

The problem with this thing is that it builds up and kills fps's
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:59:23 am »

You could also run DF hack once in a while and remove it :P
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:30:24 am »

What's the latest DFHack compatible with?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:48:01 am »

I could, but where's the fun in that?  I was thinking more along the lines of elaborate washing setups/schemes.
At last, she is done.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:43:44 am »

There's no real way to get rid of the stuff so you've got to set up wading pools before there's ever a mess or else it will just multiply in your hallways endlessly.

If we could actually assign dwarves to go around cleaning tiles the way you can tell them to smooth or engrave them then it would be absolutely trivial to deal with but as it stands? With only cleaning enabled they will idle rather than do anything.

As for washing schemes there lies the small problem of how you can't remove the crap. Even with the best possible use of water you'll just end up with about a million little piles and spatters on the same tile.

Now, if you set up your entire fort so that you can lock down every section to flood it with magma and drain it then you may stand a slim chance against this crap but you can't do that around engravings or the bedrooms so you're still screwed even if you manage this massively oversized project to handle what was just supposed to be a little mess.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:55:39 am »

If we could actually assign dwarves to go around cleaning tiles the way you can tell them to smooth or engrave them then it would be absolutely trivial to deal with but as it stands? With only cleaning enabled they will idle rather than do anything.

Worse: they only hurry to clean "water" spots as the ones that come out of ice blocks melting.

This means that if, for instance, you dug a channel to the bottom of a frozen lake, and it starts to thaw, the first things to melt will be those, and will make your dwarves go under the thawing ice.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 07:07:59 am »

I know that running magma under water/ice makes it hot!hot!hot!

I am wondering if this temperature change could have affects on liquid contaminants. It would be less... messy... than actually running magma/water through your hallways. Has anyone done testing on this? It's kind of hard to set up, I'm finding.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 07:22:12 am »

I'm setting up a shower outside my dining hall.  You know dwarves, you've gotta force them to shower 'cause they won't on their own :P

Z1: the waterfall's source.  dig holes in the floor above the coridoor.
Z2: the coridoor.  build grates over holes in the floor.
Z3: the catch.  pump water that falls through the grates up to Z1.

Construct everything in such a way that a waterwheel on Z1 will perpetually power the two pumps.  Designed it, about to dig it :).  Hatches at the source can be closed to turn it off.

---

Alternatively, dig a channel (keep ramps intact) in a coridoor somewhere.  Create a two-floodgate lock system to flood every tile in the channel with 2/7... not enough to impede movement, too much to evaporate.  Do the maths to figure out how many channel tiles to have and how many water tiles to release into it.  Remember that the floodgate destroys any water on it when closed. 

Dwarves will merrily slosh through it, cleaning themselves on the way through.  The blood in the pools is cleaned by the dwarves every so often and it's a quick chore.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:36 am »

I am wondering if this temperature change could have affects on liquid contaminants. It would be less... messy... than actually running magma/water through your hallways. Has anyone done testing on this? It's kind of hard to set up, I'm finding.
Contaminants laying on the ground are affected by temperature, that's why I embarked on glacier in 31.12. Frozen spatters do not replicate but dwarves can still get spattered in fight. And body warmth seems to prevent freezing of those contaminants.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:05 am »

Contaminants laying on the ground are affected by temperature, that's why I embarked on glacier in 31.12. Frozen spatters do not replicate but dwarves can still get spattered in fight. And body warmth seems to prevent freezing of those contaminants.
Yes, but do they boil? or even just evaporate if heated?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:17 am »

I have created a channel with 2/7 running water in my main corridor. Dwarves go through and the bloodied water flows to the drain.
However, even after few years of this washing, it appears that the blood stuck to the dwarves cannot be ever entirely washed off. Even after all this time, when I get a spatter of water and dwarves walk through it and you get a contamination with a blood of forgotten beast killed years back. If that happens on the main corridor, in my case it means suddenly half of the fortress is instantly nauseous and puking their guts out.

It appears that blood spatters seem to multiply spontaneously rather then get diluted/washed away from dwarves over time. All it takes is one leftover spatter for entire population to be covered again (and blood stuck to their shoes).

It is not a bug per se it seems but it defeinitely needs to be optimized!

"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 11:32:45 am »

Channels with 2/7 water in them through all major traffic paths. Every dwarf, animal, and caravan that walks through it will get a bath. Even carried items are cleaned off.

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 01:06:25 pm »

Channels with 2/7 water in them through all major traffic paths. Every dwarf, animal, and caravan that walks through it will get a bath. Even carried items are cleaned off.

One caution thou... I have initially put the channels in the real busy traffic paths. With so much traffic, the blood did not have time to flow into the drain. The result = subsequent dwarves walk straight into the toxic blood patches, causing much annoyance!
From now on I put the wash channels into less used roads.
"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"
Pages: [1] 2 3