Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Focused or mixed weapon skills?  (Read 1006 times)

GreenJelly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Focused or mixed weapon skills?
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:40:48 am »

Hello.

I've been playing around in Adventure Mode a lot and love the new combat system. I was wondering on what the forumers preferred way to train weapon skills is. Do you focus solely on your chosen weapon, ignoring opportunity attacks unless they are done with that weapon; Mostly focus on your weapon, but use opportunity attacks if they seem decent/fun (For instance, chomping a throat with your teeth or curbstomping a downed enemy); or do you mix freely, using both your weapon and all kinds of opportunity attacks, and perhaps even some non-opportunity ones?
Personally, I like some variation with my attacks, throwing in a kick here or a punch there to liven things up a bit between the slashes, stabs and pummels.
Which way do you prefer or think is the most valid?

Jelly

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Focused or mixed weapon skills?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:37:06 am »

Focused -- Personally, all my skill is in whips (I do not use whips to kill. I REFUSE to kill using a whip. I use them to inflict injury WITHOUT killing. I have a dagger to kill people with.) and the fighter skill. It seems like a good combo, with a touch in Wrestler and Striker.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:46:54 am »

Raising skills raises abilities. If I can give some more points to a neglected skill at a good opportunity, I'll happily accept that. So yeah, if I'm not afraid of my enemy I'll mix in opportunity kicks, punches, and bites in. Forget scratches, though.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:48:28 am »

I don't get wrestling or striking cause i can easily train em on stuff like turkeys/pidgeons/buzzards. I strangled turkeys for awhile and it raised my wrestling like hell lol

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:57:12 am »

Usually I play peasants, and that doesn't allow for spreading around your skills that much. That being said, I have noticed that I can cave goblin heads in with a punch (you don't have to be that strong to do it), and I've done it enough now that I've gotten up to novice. During a big melee, if your weapon gets stuck, it's really, really useful to have a fallback available. Often I can headshot the guy that my weapon is stuck in - simultaneously freeing my weapon and killing the badguy. If I were you, I would try to find a preferred fallback, be it a kick, punch, bite, or shield bash.

Also, sometimes I knock teeth out just because I can.

I think it would be awesome if you could get broken teeth lodged in you, too. :)

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:30:05 am »

Mixed. You never know what high quality weapon you'll find.  At character creation I invest points in Fighter rather than a specific weapon.  Wrestling trains relative to the size and strength of your opponent, so I usually cripple a Troll or big baddie and then rassle 'em until I'm a High Master- never invest starting points in it.   

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:48:52 am »

Its always worth a peek at the opportunity shots, sometimes its even opportunity with your preferred weapon:)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:32:28 am »

I prefer investing in Swords after trying many different weapons - a longsword is a bit like axe and spear combined, allowing you both pierce internal organs and chop limbs off.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

I tend to try and keep things like biting leveled above my actual weapon skill. So if one weapon gets to high I swap out.
The reason for this is that they use the attacks of opportunity more when the level is higher than their weapon, and I like biting the heads off things but am too lazy oftentimes to go through all the submenu nonsense for a random encounter.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:16 am »

I usually stick to swords and throwing.  Throwing the copper dagger that comes stock with my character is a great way to soften up enemies before they get a chance to attack.

There may be something to forgoing any weapon skills and putting more points into fighting.  This way if you find a really good weapon you won't have to worry as much about whether or not you're skilled in using it. I might try that with my next character.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 05:05:13 pm »

I like Axe right now because halberds are so handy.  (It cuts/stabs and blunts) but is way cooler than some silly sword =p

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »

I like Axe right now because halberds are so handy.  (It cuts/stabs and blunts) but is way cooler than some silly sword =p

Can humans wield a halberd effectively in one hand? Does the description of your character("small for a human" etc.) matter there?

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 07:47:06 pm »

If you're strong enough you can wield it one-handed without penalty. The description matters. When using a two-handed weapon it's important to focus on the particular weapon skill so that you can parry effectively (since you'll have no shield).

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »

What I like to do is find a second diffrent type of weapon, Such as a spear when my main weapons a sword. I then replace my shield with it, And taske oppertunitys to "Stab" With my spear and mid section or lowerbody, I like to then slash at them with my sword, I like to imagine his holding his spear while its in them and then useings his sword to parry there weapons and slash them apart, I especially like it when they pass out while my spears in them, And that hes holding them up there head back, Exposeing there neck as he slices it with there sword, Then lets them die slowly and pulls out his spear once there heart stops beating. I don't know thats just me.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice