Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Considering getting a pet ferret.  (Read 3598 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Considering getting a pet ferret.
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 09:23:33 pm »

I'd love to have a ferret, but I'd probably have to get it's stench glands taken out.

From all I've researched about ferrets (there was a point where I wanted to get one as well, so I have a big ol' notepad file with tons of random facts about them) it's heavily encouraged that you do this - the smell is supposedly not really noticeable if the glands are out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:55 am »

FERRETS ARE EVIL

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 07:06:10 am »

Anyone saying cats don't smell bad has never had an indoor litterbox.  It's basically the worst thing ever invented.
Only because you're lazy about changing the sand.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:26 pm »

I'd love to have a ferret, but I'd probably have to get it's stench glands taken out.

From all I've researched about ferrets (there was a point where I wanted to get one as well, so I have a big ol' notepad file with tons of random facts about them) it's heavily encouraged that you do this - the smell is supposedly not really noticeable if the glands are out.

BAHAHAhahahaha.  Whoever told you that is lying, or has lived with ferrets so long they can't notice it any more.

Owning a ferret is like cooking strong curry every day:  The smell will linger for a long, long time.  Not as bad as smoking, but still pretty bad.  Some friends of mine had one de-musked ferret and, two years later, the room still has that noticable "ferret smell" (though it's almost gone by now).

Also, they sleep twenty hours a day, which means not much playtime.  Oh yeah, and if you let them roam around at all, you'll discover that hiding things is a lot less adorable after the first or second week.  Yes they re-use the same stashes, no they're not easy to get to when you really need your keys in the morning.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 03:40:53 pm »

Owning a ferret is like cooking strong curry every day:  The smell will linger for a long, long time.  Not as bad as smoking, but still pretty bad.
I would rather smell smoke then a ferret, but then again I like the smell of smoke so I don't know.

Keep the little bastards outside and the smell isn't a problem.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 04:37:33 pm »

Anyone saying cats don't smell bad has never had an indoor litterbox.  It's basically the worst thing ever invented.
Only because you're lazy about changing the sand.

I don't know, cat shit smells bad, but most bury it. I know that some cats are lazy as shit.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 12:42:40 am »

\
Cats are better pets imo. They're more affectionate, funnier, less smelly, more relaxing, and in some cases more deadly.
I own cats and I know that's a crock.
Cats show affection, unless you snub them.

Then they stop showing affection.

Then again, they may just be marking you, but whatever.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 03:37:25 am »

An old teacher of mine absolutely loves pets, and she got an indoor pig once that she absolutely loved.  I don't have much more advice than that though.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 07:11:22 pm »

From what I've heard, pigs are surprisingly good pets. Affectionate and quite intelligent.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 07:14:37 pm »

From what I've heard, pigs are surprisingly good pets. Affectionate and quite intelligent.
To each their own. I just learned you can teach crows to talk, but they have low voices compared to parrots. Someone on youtube got his to say 'nevermore' (and waka waka waka), though it sounds suspiciously like Microsoft Sam
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 04:06:12 am »

I was scarred permanently by a ferret once.
oh grakelin
you so crazy

On topic, ferrets are cool but they smell like shit.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:10:53 am by rawr359 »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 05:19:51 am »

You an me both pal. They would be the worst pet in terms of having to take care of it, but there is no way you won't be grinning like a fool every time they are in the room.

You may get chunks tore out of you and have otter shit and piss all over the place, but who cares? God damn it, it's an otter.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 07:52:22 am »

A pet otter would be amazing.
You an me both pal. They would be the worst pet in terms of having to take care of it, but there is no way you won't be grinning like a fool every time they are in the room.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 05:51:15 pm »

So, It's almost Christmas time as I hope most of you are aware of, and I've been looking at getting another pet for quite some time now. I've had pet rats in the past, and currently I have two dogs, one a huge golden retriever, and the other a small mixture between a chihuahua and a pug.

I've done a little bit of research on the ferrets, and consider myself informed, albeit 20 minutes spent googling an animal is nothing compared to the real-life experiences of someone who's owned one before.

I'm currently concerned about how well a ferret would integrate into the household, what with 2 pets already living here. Furthermore, I'm a bit worried about the smell. I've heard talk that you really can't feed your ferret fish or fish byproducts, and certain types of bedding help, but I'm on the fence about this. Next weekend I'll be seeing a veterinarian and I'll see what s/he has to say on the matter.

For now though, does anyone have any useful information that could help me decide whether or not I'm cut out to take care of (what is essentially) another dog?

I had ferrets as pets and I know a bit about them... Ill try to answer some of your questions.

First of all, if you do decide to get a pet ferret and it's your first... go to an ferret shelter. Just picking up a ferret in an animal store can be a very big disappointment, let alone the medical costs you might end up with. This is very very important... mostly for yourself to be able to enjoy your new friend. In general, males are bit more relaxed, females are a tad more hyper and often, way smaller then the males.

Really, really at first consider not raising a kit (pup), you will have your hands full as it is. Young ferrets play hard and you will have to train your kit to not nip, use the litterbox, etc etc. An adult 1-2years old raised correctly will save you from a lot of other new things a kit will bring along. The nipping is a big deal also, lots of people quickly think of "biters" when they hear about ferrets. Also, getting a ferret out of a shelter will often mean its already neutered which can save you some money and you know it's medical background somewhat.

I mentioned medical costs as not all veterinarians know a lot about ferrets and if they do, treatments are often more expensive. I had to go to a university for "exotic pets" at times.

Dogs are tricky around ferrets, certain breeds more then others. The dogs mood and general character play a roll also and that of the ferret. Be extra carefull around terrier breeds, they have some instinct in em. Bigger dogs can step on the little buggers, snap at em as a warning or worse. Ferrets are pretty fragile in that sense. When meeting the dogs for the first time, make sure to keep the ferret in its carrier/cage. Introduce them to each other very carefully.... A ferret will often not be set back by the size of a dog...  Never ever, leave them alone with other animals. They are suicidal little maniacs when it comes to this...

Ferrets do have a certain smell, didn't bother me at all. I rather liked it in the end. But there are a few things you should know. If you are not gonna breed em you are gonna want to get them neutered. For females, its even pretty important.. they can get sick otherwise. Males its also a good idea, it stops them from becoming hormone driven little bastards when its "play time", yes lets call it that. This also helps the smell! Yep, they smell less strong then also.

They also have anal glands (yes like skunks) that they will use when scared or when defending themselves. They don't use these things lightly though, if you raise your voice and/or correct your ferrets behavior you wont get "sprayed". It's also a lot lots less potent. Mine never used his ever! Here in the Netherlands it's considered animal abuse if you have them removed. In the States I think they are often removed. I see no reason though. Again go to a ferret shelter and take a good whiff.

Ferret food, tricky subject. Cat food, big no no. Kitten food, some kinds are ok, some aren't. Ferrets are 100% carnivores, their digestive track just doesn't do veggies. There are a few brands of kibbles that are made for ferrets, some people like giving them whole prey. Yep, that will make you look at your ferret in a new way when he is hollowing out a chicken, rat or crushing a mice skull. Why not regular cat or dog food, veggies and plant products, there is a lot of it in it. This well mess up your little buddies digestive tract and organs in the long run. (I used to treat him to mice now and then, but he was a kibble guy, brand I got was somewhat expensive but made for ferrets, Totally Ferret)

Bedding for the cage... nothing special. Throw some old T-shirts in there, a blanket maybe and a small litter box. Some tubes he can get from plat form to plat form and a hammock to chill in.

Ferrets are a blast, but they also think that of your house. Ferret proof it, at times you will be wondering if its a snake you got instead, they can get into anything and will do so if they get the chance. Couches, nice place to tunnel into and hide in the springs = dead ferret.

They also have their own schedule, often it will sync to when you are around the most. If you only got one ferret expect to put lots of time into baby-sitting + entertaining him/her. If you got two, they might entertain each other a lot... but ya will still have to babysit em somewhat. Ferrets sleep a lot (in the winter maybe 18+hours), but when they are awake... they wanna move, play and explore.

20minutes of google is really a tad short, consider joining or lurking on a forum about ferrets. I spend a good 2-3 months reading about em and talking to ferret owners. Glad I did, they are a hand full!!

I'm starting to ramble... if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me or post em.

Can't resist posting my little buddies picture. Rest in peace you little bastard ;)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:16:45 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 06:33:23 pm »

As well Ferrets never reveal if they are seriously hurt. They have been known to appear seemingly normal with broken limbs. Hense why they actually have more vet trips then almost any other animal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4