Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Considering getting a pet ferret.  (Read 3600 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Considering getting a pet ferret.
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:54:43 pm »

So, It's almost Christmas time as I hope most of you are aware of, and I've been looking at getting another pet for quite some time now. I've had pet rats in the past, and currently I have two dogs, one a huge golden retriever, and the other a small mixture between a chihuahua and a pug.

I've done a little bit of research on the ferrets, and consider myself informed, albeit 20 minutes spent googling an animal is nothing compared to the real-life experiences of someone who's owned one before.

I'm currently concerned about how well a ferret would integrate into the household, what with 2 pets already living here. Furthermore, I'm a bit worried about the smell. I've heard talk that you really can't feed your ferret fish or fish byproducts, and certain types of bedding help, but I'm on the fence about this. Next weekend I'll be seeing a veterinarian and I'll see what s/he has to say on the matter.

For now though, does anyone have any useful information that could help me decide whether or not I'm cut out to take care of (what is essentially) another dog?

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Considering getting a pet ferret.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »

Ferrets are cute and look awesome.
Talk to somebody at a pet store.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »

Advice: Murder it swiftly and shed no tears. My brothers ferret was an asshole to my guinea pigs.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 07:01:19 pm »

But I didn't even get it yet. D:

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »

Derp.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »

I wouldn't. They reek and they have a rodent mentality of getting into things and destroying them. Except unlike rats or mice, people tend to let ferrets free roam, so they get into trouble. Imagine a dog, that doesn't listen to you or learn what you don't appreciate and has no trouble getting up on counters, in cabinets or into your trash without you hearing them. Need to find your ferret? Prepare to have to hunt for it, probably behind couches, or inside of them. You can't really discipline them either. If you try, they just tend to bite you.

No one I know that has owned a ferret has stayed an owner for the long-term. Even if they're nice and cuddly variety, and not a rampaging psycho, the stink they generate alone is enough. I've never encountered a pet that can fill a whole room with its natural smell quite like the ferret. Their coats are incredibly oily, which probably contributes to it getting all over couches ect...

I'm not a ferret hater. And you seem like quite an animal lover already. But they're the kind of pet that ends up defining your household. Not to mention a small, fast-moving rodent looks like a meal to a bored dog.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:09:10 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:35:59 am »

I was scarred permanently by a ferret once.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 01:54:29 am »

Next year I don't expect to be many hours a day wherever I am staying, so I was looking onto pets that are affectionate yet can be well by themselves. Thus, I'm thinking that I'll get either a ferret or a cat (I had been pondering getting fish instead, but those are hell to transport back and forth)
I was scarred permanently by a ferret once.
Chicks love scars, man
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:34:10 am »

My advice.  Get a cat.  They are smarter and easier to train.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 09:36:53 am »

And cheaper, since when the time comes I'll just grab one of the stray kittens that wander around the urbanization where I live.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:31:43 am »

Cats are the best pets. The require virtually no attention (feeding and litter changing take like 5 minutes a day), yet they're very cuddly.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:11:37 pm »

I think DOGS are better pets than cats. But require much more attention and company that cats. I think it's just wrong to keep a dog at my (future) home when I might well be absent for a full day, and will have little time even when I don't. That's why I was considering other alternate pets

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 12:12:12 pm »

Dogs aren't pets, they're burden. And they can't even purr.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 12:23:18 pm »

Cats are better pets imo. They're more affectionate, funnier, less smelly, more relaxing, and in some cases more deadly.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 01:01:32 pm »

I have to ask: If you allready have two dogs, why are you getting another pet? Getting animals are not something that should be taken lightly.
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4