Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tech Question  (Read 688 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tech Question
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:07:02 pm »

Not actually modding related, but I wasn't sure where else to put this (and you guys have the most tech knowledge).

So, getting a new computer as of tomorrow- quad-core nehalem processor, 6 gigs of ram, TB drive. I'm planning to dual-boot between windows 7 and Ubuntu linux, and run DF on the linux half (Less OS overhead).

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between 32 and 64 bit Ubuntu, and wanted to know what effect such will have on DF (Yes, I actually play DF enough that this may be the deciding factor in my choice of OS).

Thanks for any answers you can give, or general tech advice- I've been using a mac for six years now, so I'm more than a little out of the game.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:58:57 pm »

Hrm, I doubt the actual process would benefit since I don't see a 64bit version of DF.

However, the 64bit version of linux should allow DF to load larger worlds using a whole 32bit memory space(4gb), rather than just a portion of it shared with the OS.

But I've not tried to do the dual library 64base/32support installs much.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:44:22 pm »

I run vista 64 bit and from what I have seen on the forums I dont see as many memory related issues as 32 bit users....so it cant hurt from my experience....not to mention 32 bit cant use all your 6GB of RAM

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:49:47 am »

I run vista 64 bit and from what I have seen on the forums I dont see as many memory related issues as 32 bit users....so it cant hurt from my experience....not to mention 32 bit cant use all your 6GB of RAM

*nods* I've been getting different answers about a lot of these issues, and I don't really have the tech cred to work through them myself. At least one of my more CS-y friends says that page tables will allow the 32 bit to use all RAM, but I'm unsure.

Anyone know what the effects of using 64 bit OS with applications not written for such will be?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:56:37 pm »

32-bit Windows can't use more than 4 GB of RAM.  (It can be less, e.g. 3.25 GB for XP.)

On modern CPUs, this is an artificial limitation.  Microsoft could make it use all the available RAM if they chose to.  (both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux, for example, can use all the RAM you have.)

A single 32-bit Windows program can't use more than 2 GB of RAM.  (Or up to 3 GB under 32-bit Windows or nearly 4 GB under 64-bit Windows, if and only if the program has special support for it.)  This limit also applies to the WINE emulator shim layer.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 04:40:14 pm »

You'll need to install ia32-libs, but once that's done, you can play Dwarf Fortress quite easily on a 64-bit install.