Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time to retire?  (Read 1271 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time to retire?
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:03:20 pm »

Well, my dwarf lost one of his feet to a rather bloody battle with a hydra. Now he's laying on the ground, complaining that he can't get to his enemies fast enough. I can't figure out how to get him to use crutches, how do I get him up and hobbling around?

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time to retire?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:04:46 pm »

No, Hes ready to die. Have him retire in a village. Create a new hero to come there and kill him. Then allow him to take your dwarfs weapon. It is the only way.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 06:20:04 pm »

No, get a crutch and just make sure you're holding it. As long as it's in one of your hands, you'll gain the ability to stand, but you'll have to train up crutch-walking as an actual skill.

You'll start off with the same speed you would have on the ground, but at least you won't be prone. As your crutch skill goes up, you'll slowly get some speed back.

Of course, this can be so tedious that it would be easier to retire and start a new adventurer.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:25:08 pm »

When I pick up a crutch he just stuffs it in his bag. Stubborn little bastard thinks he doesn't need it

Edit: Never mind, he was holding pants in his hand that he apparently didn't want to put down
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:27:31 pm by personofshadow »

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

To use a crutch you need to have a free hand. You then hold the crutch in that hand. That's it! I would think, but I'm not sure, that the crutch has to be held on the same side as the incapacitated limb.

Basically a crutch trades a disabled foot for a disabled hand. The advantage of crutches are that you can recover some speed as your crutch-walking skill levels up, and you don't have to crawl through deadly substances. The disadvantage of giving up your shield is rather high, in my opinion.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:36:30 pm »

Also, I'm having trouble finding a store

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »

To use a crutch you need to have a free hand. You then hold the crutch in that hand. That's it! I would think, but I'm not sure, that the crutch has to be held on the same side as the incapacitated limb.

Basically a crutch trades a disabled foot for a disabled hand. The advantage of crutches are that you can recover some speed as your crutch-walking skill levels up, and you don't have to crawl through deadly substances. The disadvantage of giving up your shield is rather high, in my opinion.

Well in combat the penalty for being prone is pretty insane if I remember correctly....so prone with a horribly gimped speed makes the shield useless anyways...besides.....who says you cant start using the shield as a blunt weapon? Defense and offense all in one.

*bug exploit in spoiler*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:53 pm »

I fought a cave dragon prone, I blocked pretty much everything, smacked it a couple times with my axe, then my lasher buddy caved its skull in.

Saddly Urist McGimpy died to alligators when traveling left him in a rather confounding location surrounded by ice  that soon melted into a river. There appeared to be a partially constructed bridge or something that was submerged after the ice melted, it was weird

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 01:22:57 am »

If you (r)emove a crutch from your pack, won't that send it straight to your hands, even if both hands are full? Could it then be used for walking? I know this works for wielding multiple weapons.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 01:42:41 am »

When I have an adventurer with lots of accomplishments and serious permanent injuries, I make him a "commander" and have him travel with large numbers of soldiers.  He basically relies on them for fighting and throws things at enemies while holding a shield.  In the case of my current adventurer, his left hand is apparently too scarred to hold a weapon so he just uses a shield to protect against enemy archers and throws ammunition to attack.  He had no throwing skill to start with so he's had to train it up, but he's still alive and his squad is getting bigger and bigger.  Soon he will lead a small army.  He's got a high wrestling skill so if he does get into melee combat, he can usually choke with his arm, or try to get one of his troops to draw the enemy's attack while he drops his shield and grabs the enemy's weapon from behind and then kills the enemy that way.  I can't play him the way I used to play him but I like leading an army and it makes sense in a way.  Eventually I'll retire him and play another adventurer.  One day I'll probably get all my veteran adventurers together to settle a new fortress together.  Dunno if it works in this version, but in the past I liked to retire adventurers on my desired fortress site and use thier collected treasures and wealth to support the new fortress.  Plus they'd make an excellent armed force to protect against invasions and hostile creatures.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:38:47 am »

I fought a red dragon he killed all my guys (3 companions) i managed to take dragon down even after he took my leg and foot off then i trained crutchwalking but it barely did anything, but i did two quests for a lord and me and my men took down a minotaur, i fought even with my slow speed (573) then finally got sick of it, told success to lord and went in the top tower in the fortress and dropped all my stuff in an organized way and retired