Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding in <material> body parts and other q's  (Read 490 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Modding in <material> body parts and other q's
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:16:15 pm »

How would I mod in slade kittyens body parts of specific materials?

How would I make my fire troglodytes creatures appear in aboveground places (all of them, not just a specific biome)?

How to make civilizations (kinda know how) with a special town thing (i.e. akin to dark gobbo fortress), a specific biome inhabited, and special abilities (like the flying daren)?

Modding in explosives new materials / material types and weapons?

Moving cavernous biomes to the surface without special worldgen parameter?

Making stuff with an temperature?

.... and any other suggestions for the upcoming Surprision mod.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in <material> body parts and other q's
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:39:03 pm »

1.) Depends on how far you want to mod.  If you want EVERYTHING to be of one hard material like stone, you can copy the entry for the Bronze Colossus about its tissues, and just replace BRONZE with the stone/metal/soil of your choice.  If it's in materials, your best bet would be to copy the properties of the material you want them to be and do some crafty modding, but that would require me typing up a more in-depth guide, lol.

2.) Just remove the BIOME:SUBTERRENEAN_CHASM and UNDERGROUND_DEPTH, and replace it with BIOME:ANY_LAND.  That will make the creature show up in all solid land above-ground biomes.  Sadly they can't appear underground at the same time, it is either above or below.

3.) You can't assign new types of cities (at least I think you can't) but you can choose to make them use the types already available under the DEFAULT_SITE tag.  Just change it to match the entry you want it, like humans are CITY, elves are TREE_CITY I think, and so on.  You can look in the entity raws to see which sites are already favored.  As for starting in certain biomes, those are the START_BIOME and BIOME_SUPPORT tags.  START_BIOME is where they will attempt to place their cities during world-gen, and BIOME_SUPPORT is where they can live.  Dwarves have START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN, and then list all the sites they can live in.  The biome support tags also have prefernece weights: BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:3 is dwarves, and the rest fo their biomes is 1, so it means they much prefer to live in mountains.

4.) Depends on what kind of materials you're looking for.  Specific stones/metals/etc. are in the inorganic files, so you can copy one of those and tinker with it if you're making a new metal to make weapons out of.  New items can be placed in all the item raws, the second word should tell you what types of items are inside to look at.

5.) Not quite sure what you mean.  Exposed caverns to the surface on embark is a bug that sometimes happens, not a worldgen parameter.  If you were really ambitious, you could assign all the underground creatures and plants to aboveground biomes and just eliminate caverns from your worldgens.

6.) That can be assigned in their material raws, using the tag MAT_FIXED_TEMP:number.  Be careful to also assign melting/boiling/heatdam and colddam tokens as well.  If you're trying to make a hot leather, for example, you don't want it catching on fire and burning away due to its own temp.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:30 am »

thanks, that guide would help though  ;)

so I can't keep 2 tags? why not duplicate entries?

ok then lots of races coming this way (but I checked out Civilization Forge... I'll leave civs to them I guess)

well I got the stuff figured out, copying from fire imps and fire snakes. and fire/lava man too...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:23:11 am »

Just wanted to point out that you should be able to just add a second biome token and have your creatures appear both underground and aboveground. (i.e. have [BIOME:SUBTERRENEAN_CHASM] and [BIOME:ANY_LAND]) At least I think that would work as it appears that the system has remained unchanged from previous versions, though I haven't messed around with the system enough to double check that yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.