Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the ruling by the court?

Jury made a 'fair' decision.
- 28 (21.5%)
Jury could have been less 'lenient'.
- 9 (6.9%)
Jury was way too 'lenient'.
- 6 (4.6%)
I do not agree with the decision made by the Jury, but still respect it.
- 8 (6.2%)
Jury should be hung.
- 6 (4.6%)
Evidence obtained via torture should have been used.
- 8 (6.2%)
The US should use Special Courts for Terrorists.
- 10 (7.7%)
Special exceptions to the law should be given for Terrorists.
- 1 (0.8%)
Special exceptions to how justice is handled should be given for Terrorists.
- 3 (2.3%)
I don't care.... or something...
- 7 (5.4%)
Jury has been too harsh.
- 3 (2.3%)
Terrorists are soldiers and you can't judge them in court.
- 11 (8.5%)
Terrorists are not soldiers, they have their own special classification.
- 5 (3.8%)
Terrorists are not soldiers, they have same rights as any other basic human.
- 25 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 'Justice' in Courts for Terrorism  (Read 5267 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Justice' in Courts for Terrorism
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:56:12 am »

After citizen court ruling...

What is your take on it?  What do you think?  I want to know.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: 'Justice' in Courts for Terrorism
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:16 pm »

Haven't read the details, but the point of a "trial" is to figure out if they're innocent or guilty. If you already know the answer, the whole thing's a sham anyway, so shenanigans shouldn't be all that surprising.

In particular, courts don't really run on probabilities. Accusing someone of a lot of stuff doesn't mean they're guilty of at least a certain percentage of it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:40:06 pm »

And there was evidence that was not used, so the jury didn't have the full account anyway.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »

It lack he option of "jury has been too harsh", and "you can't judge enemy soldiers".
I'm a bit divided on this one, but mostly, I think he got a fair trial.
Now were the US in their right to judge him?
Can you judge an enemy soldier? 
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:47:23 pm »

I dunno... maybe they found the evidence in front of them inadequate, and thought that overall there wasn't sufficient proof?  If there's more proof for it, prosecution can appeal, right?

I mean, is there a reason everyone's so sure of his guilt?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:09:39 pm »

Edited Poll.

As for the guilt thing... it just basically amounts to a witch hunt.  Its like they expect the jury to make him guilty while ignoring the lack of evidence.  Which is due to the guy's torture...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »

I don't see the point of information obtained under torture.  Sure, you'll get a confession out of a guilty person, but you'll get the same confession out of an innocent person.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:17:34 pm »

It lack he option of "jury has been too harsh", and "you can't judge enemy soldiers".
I'm a bit divided on this one, but mostly, I think he got a fair trial.
Now were the US in their right to judge him?
Can you judge an enemy soldier?

Can a person who engages in this kind of attack be considered an enemy soldier?  Of course you can't really try a foot soldier, but what about an unenlisted, uniformless, independent agent who makes a terror attack with mass civilian casualties and infrastructure damage?  Why would someone like that get the same treatment?
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:19:42 pm »

I don't see the point of information obtained under torture.  Sure, you'll get a confession out of a guilty person, but you'll get the same confession out of an innocent person.
Yea, that is the apparent issue to begin with.  A lot of evidence was waived away because he was tortured.  (I think I'm agreeing with you here.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »

Can a person who engages in this kind of attack be considered an enemy soldier?  Of course you can't really try a foot soldier, but what about an unenlisted, uniformless, independent agent who makes a terror attack with mass civilian casualties and infrastructure damage?  Why would someone like that get the same treatment?
Well, what defines a "soldier" then? A bomber pilot or artillery gunner isn't exactly a standard soldier either.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:32:57 pm »

Well, what defines a "soldier" then? A bomber pilot or artillery gunner isn't exactly a standard soldier either.
That seems more of the point here.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 01:38:19 pm »

Judge Lewis Kaplan told the jurors that their verdict said a lot about the U.S. justice system.

"American justice can be rendered calmly, deliberately and fairly by ordinary people, people who are not beholden to any government, not even ours," Kaplan said.  "It can be rendered with fidelity to the Constitution. You have a right to be proud of your service in this case."

This is exactly why the American court system exists.  "It doesn't even really matter what we charge him with; we're trying him in a New York federal court on 281 counts of terrorism type stuff.  His ass is grass.  C'mon, we know he's guilty."  Doesn't fucking matter.  You have to actually prove guilt, and it is not intendent on the defense to refute the charge if the jury doesn't believe it by the evidence presented in the first place.  If the jury doesn't buy the case, there is no case, and there is no guilt.

And it's not like the guy is walking away clicking his heels.  He was convicted on a 20-to-life conspiracy charge, and you know damn well he'll never be paroled, and probably with good reason.  Besides, it's not like the Obama justice department has given up the Bush system of, "innocent verdict means you'll be held until we find something else to charge you with."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 01:40:03 pm »

Yeah I am actually glad that our court system is more or less functioning and that they jury didn't find him guilty on all counts just because he is a terrorist. It looks like they did their best to make a responsible decision based on available evidence.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 02:07:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:56:38 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 02:35:48 pm »

Yes, that too, 20 to life in prison is hardly lenient.
And "terrorism" is a term used pretty loosely these days. Attacked US or European troops? TERRORIST!
Destroyed equipment? ditto. Tortured enemy? raped them? Killed there children? TERRORIST! except if you're part of the US military. Then it's ok, and chance are that is you are convinced at all, it will be lightly (if you're an officer don't worry at all).
And don't worry about Obama either : as a convinced partisan of Bush policies, he won't allow any international inquiries (unlike the English).

It's not only an American problem, but it's sad to see such a regression.
Clinton's intervention in Yugoslavia was way cleaner, more successful, and cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:51:27 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5