Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Intensifying Mod ver 0.23  (Read 65190 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.NY
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2010, 06:15:30 pm »

I'm in two minds on weather to install this or not.
Blood spatter dissipating over time sounds like a stroke of genius as do the siege and training changes and clothing management solution.
I'm tempted to run a fort on here but I suspect that a lot of whats been removed will just make me revert to Vanilla.
(Especially the compression of body parts, half the fun is hacking off individual fingers)
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:23 pm »

I'm in two minds on weather to install this or not.
Blood spatter dissipating over time sounds like a stroke of genius as do the siege and training changes and clothing management solution.
I'm tempted to run a fort on here but I suspect that a lot of whats been removed will just make me revert to Vanilla.
(Especially the compression of body parts, half the fun is hacking off individual fingers)
I suggest to run a fort on this mod nevertheless. Even if you dont like it, I'd gladly listen to your story, what you dont like or miss.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2010, 06:54:41 am »

I have three questions for you...
1) Is it normal to have 37 buzzards spawn at the moment you embark? (thank god they aren't aggressive :P)
2) Can I eat pig tail in this version?
3) I have to Musk Oxen, does this mod make you start with two animals for your wagon or is it normal? (I always start with one free animal instead of two)

btw: I really like this meat changes, just two kind of meat per animal is perfect, no more scrolling through all the meat again :/

EDIT: Forget it, the buzzards ARE aggressive,
*Ragequit*
*Restart*

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2010, 07:06:46 am »

I have three questions for you...
1) Is it normal to have 37 buzzards spawn at the moment you embark? (thank god they aren't aggressive :P)
2) Can I eat pig tail in this version?
3) I have to Musk Oxen, does this mod make you start with two animals for your wagon or is it normal? (I always start with one free animal instead of two)

btw: I really like this meat changes, just two kind of meat per animal is perfect, no more scrolling through all the meat again :/

EDIT: Forget it, the buzzards ARE aggressive,
*Ragequit*
*Restart*
1) Yes, that's perfectly normal. Buzzards are benign food stealer, which mean they wont dare to come close to your dwarves but will gleefully take your stuff if there's no one close. I'd leave to you to figure out how to deal with them.

2) Yes, but you first need to cook them. plump helmet is the only underground crop that can be eaten raw

3) That's standard vanilla behaviour, they sometimes give you 2 animals for reasons unbestknown to me.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2010, 09:07:50 am »

thx for the answers, I abandoned that buzzard fortress pretty quickly because the buzzards stole all of my food, but I didn't see any combat report about them fighting the dwarves, although a dog I brought with me did kill one of them.

I have now started a nano fortress (1x1 embark) and a butterfly attacked my woodcutter. I remembered something about it on your logs so I didn't worry about it.
a few in game days later the ground is covered with butterfly vomit :P it is just called vomit but I checked the combat logs and the butterfly was vomiting the entire time. (it is still alive though). I don;t know uif it is a bug, I don't think so becasue when I played adv mode with vanilla DF I was vomiting the entire time too.

tl;dr: great mod! it needs a place here:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28829.0 (or I'm just stupid and it is already in that list)

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2011, 09:23:27 am »

I <3 this mod!

Buzzards are a real problem in the first days, which I like, because it gives me something to do while I get ready for the pounding that FD 2 is going to give me.  You need a good buzzard strategy.  My current one is to bring all my meat in living form, a la dogs, and then butcher them inside.

Also, I have noticed that if I take max points in ambusher i get steel gear sometimes instead of leather.  My hunter has a steel breastplate with a forgotten beast design in blue diamond.  HELLOOOOO CARAVAN!

=)
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:19 am »

Sorry for double post.

2 minor bugs:

1) dogs use the puppy sprite and vice versa
2) wardogs become brown splotches
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2011, 11:28:40 am »

Sorry for double post.

2 minor bugs:

1) dogs use the puppy sprite and vice versa
2) wardogs become brown splotches
Need phoebus .03. Not my fault ;p

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:55 am »

ha!

Okay, will do.

Also, did you rebalance the metal strengths?  I'm not moddy enough to understand the properties in the raws.  Are the metals still like they were in vanilla?

Steel>Bronze/Iron>Copper for armor and edged and Silver>Steel>Bronze/Iron>Copper for blunt?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2011, 11:45:01 am »

yes metal strength is left the same as they were, I'd balance them last. The only thing that was changed is metal distribution and usage

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »

Just made my first batch of steel.

Man it feels good to get there. Steel was never such an achievement before.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2011, 10:44:55 pm »

I like the idea of this mod, but I have at least one problem right off the bat, and one question.

First, the problem. Your mod is designed to use a tileset; I really, REALLY don't like tilesets. What's worse, one can't just turn the tileset off, because the referenced tile for practically everything, especially minerals and such, is changed from vanilla. You've got things like gypsum showing up as yellow O-with-umlauts instead of the proper yellow #s, and that isn't the only such instance of this issue. This greatly annoys me, and makes me turn off the game and delete any mods that cause such a thing whenever I try to play them. I know of no easy way of fixing this problem, either. So, would you be willing to go through and make an "extra" version in which everything actually uses the default vanilla ASCII graphics? I know it'd be quite a bit of work, but it would make me much happier  :)

Second, the question. The part of the mod that interests me most is the consolidation of the body parts. How, exactly, did you do this? I've tried looking through your altered raws, but I don't have the modding expertise to tell if you did anything to the individual creatures or if you just modified the b_detail_plan_default, body_default, and body_rcp files, and perhaps any other body part files that I'm not seeing at the moment. If you did just modify those, the problem that I mentioned in the first part really wouldn't be anymore since I could just easily take the part of the mod that actually interests me and leave off the stuff that causes graphical glitches, so I'd appreciate it if you could tell me.

Thanks in advance  ;D
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2011, 11:11:11 pm »

Damn you broke the nice 100 post count :( I was so looking forward to post the 101th post as the new version announcement.

1) the tileset thingie
I'm actually fine with gypsum showing as O-with-umlauts (that's how you call it in english?) I've also played this mod with just ASCII to make sure things "feel" right. It'd definitely doesnt look the same as vanilla graphics but it should work when you are used to it. May I persuade you into getting used to it? ;p For now I have no plan on making multiple versions of this mod as (for now) I release new versions in very short time frame of 1-2 weeks, with 0.010 scheduled for tomorrow in fact. I've actually tried splitting raw to support different graphics (ironhand) in 0.06 or 0.07 and it was a nightmare and I had to give up on doing that every god damn version cause it was so time consuming. Now I just modify tilesets directly to keep my raw intact.

2) the body parts
Aside from direct removal of body parts from body part groups, I also have to make adjustments on the creatures so they stop using redundant body part groups (esp. fingers, teeth, & ribs) If you just copy b_detail_plan, body_default and body_rcp (and maybe body_IM_FDBP in FD support as well) it will indeed run and gen less body part but you'd also get alot of errors and some extremeties such as nails and hair may not work correctly. You might as well also copy and use the creatures :o I'd see if I can do a "just simpler body parts!!" mod later.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:14:52 pm by rephikul »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2011, 11:30:50 pm »

(that's how you call it in english?)
There may or may not be an actual name for it, but I don't know what it is. Wikipedia's article on Ö doesn't have any formal name for it either, and just refers to it as "the letter O with umlaut," so that's probably just what it's called  ???

Anyway...

1. I probably could get used to the strange graphics that just turning off the tileset causes eventually, but I just don't want to  :P For whatever reason, it really bothers me when things just don't look like they "should," especially when you've got really strange stuff showing up for everything. In vanilla, there's a fairly limited set of tiles used for stones, for instance, and tilesets add many that really don't make sense.

2. Alright, so it's a more involved matter than I had hoped in other words  :( I might try it out when I gen a new fort again (which, depending on how successful the last stages of my current megaproject are and how much I play this weekend, might be soon) and try just using your modded creature files. I can't tell from a cursory glance through the raws if any assorted critters' graphics were actually altered instead of just overwritten by the graphics, but if not, that'll probably satisfy my needs well.

I'll probably end up using just the body plan and creature raws, since those are, as I see them, the most "original" parts of your work here that don't cause the annoying graphics issue, but I have high hopes for those parts at least  :)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2011, 12:26:09 am »

I was checking out the stones and vanilla actually has a long (some odd-looking) list of symbols used for stones ;p but I'd keep in mind what you said and see if I can do something about it. Coincidentally, I'm going to revise non-phoebus graphics in 0.011 also.

As for creatures, yes right now creatures all use their vanilla tiles and color except for the 2 custom creatures. You probably asked about this at the right time cause there'd be a drastic change in creature material and BP usage in the next version so things might be a tad bit more hectics if you want to use "simple" BPs by then.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22