Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Diagonal Wall Building Request  (Read 5391 times)

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Diagonal Wall Building Request
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 10:09:43 am »

It's never been possible to build diagonally.  I think this is so that dwarves won't build the corner tile first and have it fall down since things aren't supported diagonally.  That basically means that more work would need to be put into making the building AI smarter, and there are other things that really need to be fixed first before this specific thing can be fixed (checking that something won't fall after being built, building on specific wall sides, etc).  Also, this caveat to wall building can be used to your advantage, namely to keep a dwarf from building a wall from the wrong side.

As for the speed, I agree that it takes quite awhile to destroy floors.  I don't know why, but maybe removing floors/walls could be linked to a specific skill, and take less time the more skill the dwarf has (the skill used to build the wall, so masonry for stone walls, carpentry for wooden walls, etc).
hahaha. The number of dwarfs that are at the bottom of the ocean in my fort, because they think grates support floors, is just hilarious. Will love to see that fixed.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »

Personally I use bridges as scaffolding. Makes it extremely quick to remove it all, and resources don't fall down they end up on whatever tile the dwarf is removing the bridge from.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 11:41:54 pm »

Tip: use floor grates as scaffolds to build corner walls, instead of floors. Much easier to build and unbuild

*forehead smack*
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 02:01:21 pm »

And this wall of my house is both "structural,"* and built on top of an existing floor.
It has wall studs in it (I watched it get built).  There's a closet on the left side of the image, an ironing cabinet on the other side, behind the camera is another portion with a door and a smaller closet (also with a hinged door).

*Structural, as you defined it.

Nice flooring,  you sure the walls built on top of IT and not on a sub floor? and the hardwood flooring is built around it?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 02:22:07 pm »

And this wall of my house is both "structural,"* and built on top of an existing floor.
It has wall studs in it (I watched it get built).  There's a closet on the left side of the image, an ironing cabinet on the other side, behind the camera is another portion with a door and a smaller closet (also with a hinged door).

*Structural, as you defined it.

Nice flooring,  you sure the walls built on top of IT and not on a sub floor? and the hardwood flooring is built around it?

Quite sure.  That was the master bedroom before we remodeled. :)

Kitchen floor is the same way (going under the walls for the bathroom and closet).  Very easy to tell, there, the tiles aren't smooth and flat.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 06:48:22 pm »

Who would put a structural component on top of flooring? It's just unsound. The minute it bore any significant weight the wood flooring or tile would start to crack and slip.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:05 pm »

Who would put a structural component on top of flooring? It's just unsound. The minute it bore any significant weight the wood flooring or tile would start to crack and slip.

It's not like we built a ceiling on top of it.  That was already there too.

And if you want to be nit picky about structural support, go argue that we shouldn't be able to build a 100x1 tile long bridge out of nothing but floor tiles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 12:00:46 am »

It's not like we built a ceiling on top of it.  That was already there too.

And if you want to be nit picky about structural support, go argue that we shouldn't be able to build a 100x1 tile long bridge out of nothing but floor tiles.
I was talking about real life, I never said anything in the game should be realistic.

The reason you cannot do it in the game is, iirc, that the tile cannot have two 'constructions'. Floor and Wall both count as a construction, so you can't put them both there. Its like arguing why can't I build a barracks on top of a supply depot in Starcraft if the depot is retracted into the ground. You could if you wanted to, but the game can't allow two buildings in the same spot.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 12:10:11 am »

Didn't I mention something a few posts ago about converting floor tiles into wall tiles?

Yes, yes I did. :|

An interior wall is not a structural component of a building.

But still a valid reason to build walls over floors or to "convert" a floor into a wall.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 12:12:55 am »

Didn't I mention something a few posts ago about converting floor tiles into wall tiles?

Yes, yes I did. :|

An interior wall is not a structural component of a building.

But still a valid reason to build walls over floors or to "convert" a floor into a wall.
I'm not sure what your suggestion is meant to accomplish, the thread was about building walls diagonally. Should this conversion be accomplished diagonally?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 12:25:48 am »

Making floor tiles into walls is currently hard to put into the game. Diagonal walls would also be quite hard for the pathfinder. So I think that both things are simply not worth the amout of time that is going to be needed to program them.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 12:33:55 am »

Making floor tiles into walls is currently hard to put into the game. Diagonal walls would also be quite hard for the pathfinder. So I think that both things are simply not worth the amout of time that is going to be needed to program them.
I would agree with you, they both seem like extremely minor issues and slapping a band-aid fix on them just makes things messier. I'd advocate we wait until Toady updates the way dwarves build things. Once he gets around to it I'm certain he can find a way to make them:

1. Not trap themselves
2. Not build in such a way as to leave unreachable construction designations
3. Possibly auto-build scaffolding if required
4. Some other stuff I can't even think of.

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 02:32:49 am »

Why can't Dwarf Fortress just import Autocad files?
That would be ideal.

Also, thousands of architects around the world could play Dwarf Fortress 24/7 at work while looking like they're actually doing real work.  Is that not conducive to a happier life?
Pages: 1 [2]