Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Diagonal Wall Building Request  (Read 5399 times)

Hclcasat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diagonal Wall Building Request
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:28:27 am »

Hi! I am loving Dwarf Fortress.

I started building an Aqueduct to get water from the river to my Fort, however, I ran into some trouble. As I was building Walls on either side of the floor channel, I found I could not build walls diagonally. I am hoping this is not something that would have negative ramifications if changed. Thanks for your consideration! A related request: I found a workaround that takes about eight times as long which involves building an extra floor tile, building the wall piece, then destroying the floor section. However, I notice that it takes MUCH longer to remove something than to build it. Is there any chance this could be changed as well?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:52:02 am by Hclcasat »

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diagonal Wall Building Request
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:01:02 am »

It's never been possible to build diagonally.  I think this is so that dwarves won't build the corner tile first and have it fall down since things aren't supported diagonally.  That basically means that more work would need to be put into making the building AI smarter, and there are other things that really need to be fixed first before this specific thing can be fixed (checking that something won't fall after being built, building on specific wall sides, etc).  Also, this caveat to wall building can be used to your advantage, namely to keep a dwarf from building a wall from the wrong side.

As for the speed, I agree that it takes quite awhile to destroy floors.  I don't know why, but maybe removing floors/walls could be linked to a specific skill, and take less time the more skill the dwarf has (the skill used to build the wall, so masonry for stone walls, carpentry for wooden walls, etc).

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:25:24 am »

I'd rather make it possible to build a wall over a floor tile, as was suggested in a topic sometimes ago.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:40:46 am »

I'd rather make it possible to build a wall over a floor tile, as was suggested in a topic sometimes ago.
Seems kind of pointless.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:13 am »

Seems kind of pointless.

Why? It's more pointless (and time consuming) build a temporary floor and then destroy it to place a wall/fortification/whatever.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 04:50:13 am »

Seems kind of pointless.

Why? It's more pointless (and time consuming) build a temporary floor and then destroy it to place a wall/fortification/whatever.
Scaffolding is a construction technique used today. Building a wall over a floor doesn't seem terribly useful, you'd just waste stone and you'd save a very small amount of time. Not to mention that as I understand it, only one construction can exist in a tile so it would require some significant changes. (Take that with a grain of salt, I don't know exactly what would go into said changes)

It would make more sense to wait until toady can revamp the AI to build something properly than hack in a method which will only be useful in a very small number of cases.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:11:04 am »

I uderstand that there's something more ugent and more needed, but suggestion can be about anything, not only urgent things.

A scaffod is something that is easy to build and dismantle, unlike our floors. Also, It's common practice in RL to build the main structural walls and pillars, build the slab of the floor and then add the thinner internal walls on top of it. Also, wasted stone is not a problem, IMHO. In all of my fort I use stone for anything that doesn't specifically require another material and still have tons of unused stone littering the quantum stockpile.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:15:31 am »

Also if you do it right, you can have the entire scaffolding collapse at once at the end of the project.  8)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:22:28 pm »

I support building walls diagonally, if only for making it easier to build things above ground using constructed floors and walls.

The workaround is to build first two parallel walls, and then once they're completely finished build the other two parallel walls, or first build the corners. However it can be annoying and time consuming to do this.

As for floors over walls, no. You cannot build a wall with any sort of structural strength unless you remove the floor first. A wall built without removing the floor is something like a cubicle wall which can be toppled over easily.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:12:16 am »

As for floors over walls, no. You cannot build a wall with any sort of structural strength unless you remove the floor first. A wall built without removing the floor is something like a cubicle wall which can be toppled over easily.

Or you know.  An interior wall. :|
You've obviously never seen a house being built or done any renovations.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:28:56 am »

Or you know.  An interior wall. :|
You've obviously never seen a house being built or done any renovations.

An interior wall is not a structural component of a building.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:59 am »

But still a valid reason to build walls over floors or to "convert" a floor into a wall.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »

But still a valid reason to build walls over floors or to "convert" a floor into a wall.

A non-structural wall can be made out of floodgates, retracted drawbridges, or even statues. Anything you try to build on top of it will collapse. Many interior walls in residential buildings are non-structural, though there will often be structural components inside the wall. This is where you want to hang things from the wall. Hanging your $1000 ginormous plasma TV from drywall, without finding a stud inside the wall, is a very bad idea.

Constructed walls can hold things up, which means they are structural.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 03:28:36 am »

Tip: use floor grates as scaffolds to build corner walls, instead of floors. Much easier to build and unbuild
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:55 am »

Many interior walls in residential buildings are non-structural, though there will often be structural components inside the wall. This is where you want to hang things from the wall. Hanging your $1000 ginormous plasma TV from drywall, without finding a stud inside the wall, is a very bad idea.

Constructed walls can hold things up, which means they are structural.

And this wall of my house is both "structural,"* and built on top of an existing floor.
It has wall studs in it (I watched it get built).  There's a closet on the left side of the image, an ironing cabinet on the other side, behind the camera is another portion with a door and a smaller closet (also with a hinged door).

*Structural, as you defined it.
Pages: [1] 2