Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Aventure mode  (Read 1362 times)

EZLocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Aventure mode
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

Hail there... Is it normal that in my Adventure mode none NPC have family? Plus there isnt any Shopkeeper at any town, i already tried to trade with a Trader, but... well... he keeps saying that is better to talk with a Shopkeeper...!

I don't know if it is a bug/problem or whatever, i just wonder because i already saw some DF let's plays and compared to them my world feels lifeless.

Someone?

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Aventure mode
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »

Family: Yeah, I think that's in everyone's game.

Shops: Are you sure you're in a town? Hamlets don't have shops. Towns have shops, and the regions in which they can be found are marked with yellow squares rather than white ones. Oddly, the shopkeepers come in all sorts of different professions. Most commonly Weaver for me.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:07:12 pm »

Use the 'Q'uest map, only "towns" have shops. Towns listed as "hamlets" only have peasants and a few fighters, and "fortresses" are full of fighters. On the travel and local menus, when you can see a town, some of the town tiles will be yellow/brown as opposed to the white/gray. Those tiles have shops in them. When in a shop, you can talk to any NPC inside the building to trade; there aren't designated shop owners anymore, at least not for the moment.

Some NPCs have families. Many of them don't because of Toady's changes to the way populations work during world generation; now there are populations of untracked generic civilians, and they form a large part of the population. The other part of the population is "historical figures"; individuals who are tracked and simulated during world gen, and who used to make up the entire population in past versions. How that all works will be refined with time.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:17:39 pm »

Man the adventure mode makeover is so awesome :D.

By the way, We can murder our NPC family correct?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:24 pm »

Man the adventure mode makeover is so awesome :D.

By the way, We can murder our NPC family correct?
Player characters don't have families yet, I think; they are created when you make them.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »

The only people I've found with family are lords and ladies...
I heard one sob story in my old world, how the lady's only son got eaten by a hydra. :P

Well, it's good to know why no-one has families... Kinda annoying though. Maybe for the complete nobody civilians the option should disappear?
Also, I guess if I was to go adventuring with a peasant, they got lots of named kills, then I retired with them, they'd (possibly) start a family?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EZLocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »

Oh! Thanks people...! As a traditional noob i doesnt knew about the unique town's colors... just because... yeah... i never lived long enough to find one...  :-[

Actually this little yellow dots already came to my sight at the world map, but, for some reason, i've never pressed "shift." therein xDDD

Thanks again!