Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Favorite Industry?  (Read 4830 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Industry?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:54 am »

The magma industry both obsidion and magma based steel.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 08:44:44 am »

Pet industry.
There is a certain level of fun involved in having each and every dwarf having there pet of choice within there own personal bedroom.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 09:25:19 am »

Magma glass industry. It is for glass furnaces that I construct and carve out gigantic halls, not for forges or smelters. They get their (huge, as well) corner too, and are operating just like in any other fort, but glass is king there. I like the way my fortress rises out of pretty much nothing through green glass blocks and green glass trade goods.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:49 am »

I tend to rely on clothing as well myself, simply because a full clothing industry keeps a lot of dwarves busy. Some of the jobs can overlap but generally you'll have one loomer, one dyer, one miller/farmer per clothmaker just to keep up with all the plants you produce. Even better if you manage to capture a GCS and don't need to grow plants.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 11:51:52 am »

The MAGMA STEEL INDUSTRY thing, you know, Steel with MAGMA!  :P
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:46 am »

Stonecrafting. It's never actually my focus, but almost every industry leads to lots of excess stone, so I tend to make sure I have several competant stonecrafters. Besides that though, I tend to focus on the war industry, as in piss everyone off and get seiges nearly every season, then collect the armor to export to the dwarven civs.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »

If you're going to go with stone, mechanisms get you a little better price, stone for stone.

But you mussn't allow dwarven technology to fall into the wrong hands!

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 02:49:34 pm »

The glassmaking industry. Something is made out of nothing. That something has a nice value modifier, and I imagine that the thick glass blocks in my fort reflects light in cool ways.

EDIT: Also, Schroedingers weapon traps.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:51:30 pm by Da Spadger »
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 03:07:13 pm »

Armor industry.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 03:18:17 pm »

The FPS industry, all the things that make a high and productive FPS.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »

Cloth and glass

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 03:39:50 pm »

Pest control in general, puppy processing and magma fumigation of human fortresses in particular.

Though I have been looking forward to seeing about setting up a really good hospital.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 03:54:38 pm »

Stone mugs, stone toys, stone goods, stone fall traps, stone bins, stone barrels, stone beds...

Let's just say I'm rather fond of stone. Also just started learning the joys of the glass and gem industry.

Same here. I take a skilled stonecrafter on embark. Stone is cheap, plentiful, and in the right hands, you make a decent living for your dwarves.  I keep it going even after I have other industries going as well.  Oh, and goblinite, and in one of my forst, Elfite.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 04:05:49 pm »

If you're going to go with stone, mechanisms get you a little better price, stone for stone.

But you mussn't allow dwarven technology to fall into the wrong hands!

Yeah, but I already get useless craftdwarfes with EVERY migration wave, so its simpler to do it that way. Besides, I tend to use most of my produced mechanisms for idiotic projects such as an emergency lockdown system.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 04:27:15 pm »

Same here. I take a skilled stonecrafter on embark. Stone is cheap, plentiful, and in the right hands, you make a decent living for your dwarves.  I keep it going even after I have other industries going as well.  Oh, and goblinite, and in one of my forst, Elfite.

I heard elfinite is rather weak and brittle, and dosn't hold an edge well at all. Some people even say it never survives the melting down process and reverts back to its base elements. Huminite, although not as as abuntent or awesome to gather as elfinite, has much more potential.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6