Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Favorite Industry?  (Read 4813 times)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Industry?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 04:42:28 pm »

I really like playing around with water and any sort of mechanical constructs. Not sure if it counts as an industry though, but I love building huge and elaborate constructs.

I also never use stuff that breaks the laws of (real world) physics, like those fancy water-based power generators, so things tend to be rather complicated!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:24 pm »

Glass block and magma tombs.

Also, goblinite.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 07:05:14 pm »

I export a grand number of things! Such as finely crafted musical instruments, crafts, and on occasion steel! But I do not discriminate against any race! As A humanitarian I trade bolts to the humans... One at a time.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 08:12:10 pm »

Mahjong tile crafting. I mod my raws so instead of toy boats and toy anvils, I build Mahjong tile sets, go boards and other such toys which would be really badass if decorated in all the ways dwarves can make them. Similarly, cooked food gets modded so instead of generic 'roasts' I'm making cake and sushi out of all the ingredients available to me. Instruments would be another big industry for me, but I'm too obsessed with Mahjong tiles to make instruments.

Oh and the last thing I'll consider for crafting toys/instruments is stone. Give me rare metals, give me clear glass, anything but boring stone. I suppose statue/figurine crafting would also be big for me as I like seeing what things dwarves use as motifs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 08:45:05 pm »

My most common industry is stonecrafts. I make some mean lean limestone figurines  (My favorite relates to the dwarves completing a road called The Problematic Bowels).

I don't really like toys (though I put them in rooms with children on the chance they learn to like forges or something), and mugs are harder to organize (like mechanisms). I'm always short on metal (and wouldn't sell it anyways), and wood items are too... elfy. I could start up a clothing industry, but I like to outfit all of my dwarves with masterwork and dyed pig tail clothes first.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 08:52:00 pm »

Yeah, but I already get useless craftdwarfes with EVERY migration wave, so its simpler to do it that way. Besides, I tend to use most of my produced mechanisms for idiotic projects such as an emergency lockdown system.
Yeah, stone is always good anywhere. Before I had any idea how much metal was here, I set up obsidian and marble crafts and did pretty well. Metalcrafts kind of overshadowed everything, but after I turned all jewelers into mechanics, I was saddled with lots of cheap mechanisms to throw away, and was surprised to find that a) merchants bought them and b) for a better price than my obsidian and marble crafts.

Mahou Shoujo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 08:54:57 pm »

I don't understand mahjong at all. Nevertheless, it's obviously an extremely badass, hardcore game. I never knew so much inner monologue and speedlines, not to mention reaction faces, were possible for a board game. It makes sense that dwarves would manufacture it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 08:55:37 pm »

I just started a new fort with the explicit goal of basing my industry off a unicorn breeding program. Obviously I had to make them tameable first, but that was simple, and the first batch of cages is being made now. Now all I need is rock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2010, 09:09:32 pm »

EDIT: I am a dumbass and posted in the wrong thread.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2010, 10:36:28 pm »

I just started a new fort with the explicit goal of basing my industry off a unicorn breeding program. Obviously I had to make them tameable first, but that was simple, and the first batch of cages is being made now. Now all I need is rock.

Do tamed animals still thrist for dwarven blood occasionally? if so, I think you're in for some !!Fun!!. (Not sure how the !! will happen, but fire just always seems to happen at the worst times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 11:19:34 pm »

I modded biscuit to be crumpets (See Nist Akath)!!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 11:21:26 pm »

Easily the steel industry.  There's nothing quite as satisfying as turning a bit of bituminous coal, 2 chunks of flux, and 2 pieces of iron ore into a pair of highly valued large, steel serrated discs.  Except perhaps watching them make Goblin salsa all over my fort's entrance.
Goblin Salsa. Fucking win. lol
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010, 11:31:07 pm »

Do tamed animals still thrist for dwarven blood occasionally? if so, I think you're in for some !!Fun!!. (Not sure how the !! will happen, but fire just always seems to happen at the worst times)

They can, but it's limited to the ones that have previously killed members of my fort.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 01:02:48 am »

I play a...slightly modded game, so every metal (barring the really fragile ones, like Bismuth, Tin and Pewter of all flavors) is weaponable. So, I sells the weapons.

Oh, how I love seeing a bin full of Platinum Bastard Swords head toward the depot.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 08:00:44 am »

I don't understand mahjong at all. Nevertheless, it's obviously an extremely badass, hardcore game. I never knew so much inner monologue and speedlines, not to mention reaction faces, were possible for a board game. It makes sense that dwarves would manufacture it.
Someday I may mod in depleted uranium (made from processing pitchblende in a custom reaction) just to make mahjong tiles out of them.

Oh I forgot to mention: the gem industry is also a favourite of mine - enough that I more or less memorised what value gems are.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6