Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Favorite Industry?  (Read 4815 times)

Iburnaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favorite Industry?
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:02:31 pm »

What's your favorite enterprise in Dwarf Fortress? Goblinite everywhere? Mermaid farming? Cheese empire? Soap emporium?
Personally I like to farm unicorns. There's just something classy about unicorn leather gloves, boots and cloaks for all my dwarves, everything decorated in unicorn bone. Unicorn meat for everyone. If only I could milk them...

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Industry?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:19:45 pm »

I like... making toys?  if you count that
I always put toys on repeat in 4 crafts workshops
however, I haven't been doing that in my most recent fortress because by the time the dwarven caravan arrives, I'll have more than enough to buy them out
and I can't trade with the elves or humans because I want war.
the sacrifices I make :(
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:52:32 pm »

Funeral memorials, sarcophagi and statues.

We're a morbid lot at Roomburials.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:58:37 pm »

I likes me my metal industry.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:04:47 pm »

Easily the steel industry.  There's nothing quite as satisfying as turning a bit of bituminous coal, 2 chunks of flux, and 2 pieces of iron ore into a pair of highly valued large, steel serrated discs.  Except perhaps watching them make Goblin salsa all over my fort's entrance.
Sanity is for the weak.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:06:44 pm »

I like to dabble in exotic ranching. I intend on genning a custom world with limited civs in order to create a massive elf civ that spans innumerable biomes so they bring me all manners of beasties.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:09:06 pm »

I like barrels.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:18:28 pm »

Metal weapons, I am a dwarf fond of live training. What won't kill you will just make you stronger, literally, those underground creatures sound nasty.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:54 pm »

Livestock industry
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 09:42:39 pm »

All metalworks, though I'm way too stingy with weapons and armors to trade much of them. If the trainees happen to hammer out a masterwork copper or bronze item, that can go out with the merchants. Blacksmith works, furniture, statues, weapon and armor stands, also stay here at home looking cool.

But metalcrafting is my literal gold-mine. I love every stage of it, from coming across the gold and silver veins, to hammering out works that chronical our glorious history, to buying out a caravan with a bin, and shoving another one at their leader for free, just because I can.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »

Easily the steel industry.  There's nothing quite as satisfying as turning a bit of bituminous coal, 2 chunks of flux, and 2 pieces of iron ore into a pair of highly valued large, steel serrated discs.  Except perhaps watching them make Goblin salsa all over my fort's entrance.

Why does Goblin salsa sound like a delicious dance!? o_o

Easy for me: architecture.

I'm wayyy to stingy with any materials that aren't replaceable, i.e. everything. However, give me stone, and I shall build a glorious fortress to behold.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »

Clothes.  Buy out the cloth and leather from caravans.  Keep farm plots growing dyes and thresh-able plants, millers perpetually milling dye, leather workers manufacturing bags for the dye, and threshers turning plants into thread.  Dye the cloth, turn it into clothing, and sell the results for massive profit.  Plus my dwarves don't have to run around streaking.
Also, glass.  Find me a volcano with nearby sand, and I will build a fortress near entirely from green glass; glass dining halls, glass walls, glass furniture, glass products to sell...
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:44:58 pm »

For trade I've been using the clothing industry lately. It's easy and quick to set up and massively profitable. After I get that going I try and set up my metalworks quickly in case I get any visitors, but I rarely trade it..

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:53:22 pm »

Farming. Selling flour, barrels of meat and cheese nicely circumvents the question of what people actually do with those metric tonnes of stone mugs you'd otherwise sell them.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:54:02 pm »

After I get that going I try and set up my metalworks quickly in case I get any visitors, but I rarely trade it..
Yeah, I don't get using steel as an industry. Maybe one day after I have full masterwork steel for every soldier I may ever have, then I might sell steel weapons and arms to fellow dwarves. Not selling to the humans, let them stay stuck in the bronze age. Wouldn't sell it to elves even if they begged. Until then, it gets melted down and reforged to perfection.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6