Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should certain nations be banned?

Yes, no powerhouses al la France and OE allowed.
- 7 (41.2%)
Yes, lets have a banning draft to dissallow the unpopular ones.
- 1 (5.9%)
Yes, people shouldn't take weak and lame nations that won't effect the end result.
- 0 (0%)
No, all nations should be legit.
- 9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Let's re-write history! (forum game of eu3)  (Read 29986 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's re-write history! (forum game of eu3)
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2010, 09:03:10 am »

F12 and then find them in the screenshots folder.

I feel worried for my Poland. I saved and tried declaring war versus some of my neighbors. Almost all of them resulted in alliance chains firing and having to fight at once (for example) : Muscovy, Bohemia, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Golden Horde, Palatinate, Riga and Wallachia, not to mention rebels, with only Sweden and Lithuania as allies. If the AI isn't smart enough to stay safe it might start losing territory fast. I hope it at least waits for cores to generate on all of the new provinces.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2010, 06:31:02 am »

At 1476 now, with a large portion of SE Asia under my control or at least under my influence. Wars aren't the main thing slowing me down.. it's those damn rebels that make me take so long. Most of the nations in the area have around 1k-6k soldiers. The rebels suddenly just pop up with 11k soldiers. WTF EU3?

The rebels are getting really annoying. I don't mind the peasant or pretender rebels, but the heretics run on sight and ping pong all over the place. When the place is on multiple large islands, it becomes extra annoying, as you can't shoo them off to a neighboring country. Savescumming when I get a rebel actually saves time, otherwise I'd spend up to 2-5 years chasing a heretic around the map.

Oh, and Poland and Ming are both doing fine, strong as ever. I think Poland's even expanded a little, but I didn't memorize where they started off.

EDIT: Scratch that... last I checked Poland was somehow in a war with Moscovy, Sweden, and France, among others.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:50:04 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2010, 06:36:07 am »

Rebels are based off the tax income of a province. High tax income = Large rebel stacks.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2010, 08:54:02 am »

Sweden at war with Poland eh? Those bastards. I spent the last 10 years vying to get a good alliance with them. I got 200 relations and implicit trust, I even answered their retarded calls to arms versus Norway and Denmark that cost me stability.

To avoid rebel ping-pong, cull any rebellion using pure cavalry armies with high shock/maneuver generals. That way you can reach a province the rebels run to before they do and usually it doesn't take more than 2 battles to annihilate them that way. In my Poland I had three stacks like that during peace times crushing rebel armies in both my country and allies with military access. I think that it also helps build up relations and land warfare tradition.

I'll be assembling an AAR of my turn today.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 08:58:40 am by Toady Two »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2010, 09:15:18 am »

Doesn't work with heretic rebels. Those guys run instantly, sometimes with even no casualties. I think you the rebels have to be half as much as the guys in the same square to die. I've ping ponged them around the map like 5 times with cavalry, before I just gave up and load every time there's heretics.

Heh, at least Poland is in a nice alliance with Lithuania, but it doesn't look like Lithuania is helping much :P

1981 - Oh, now they're at peace again. Poland's fighting with Moscovy, though. Some land occupied, but looks like they have a bigger military.

Ending my turn a bit early since I've done all that I care about doing, reformed the economy, got rebel chances down to about 8% at worst (from 18% much earlier). AI should probably run it safe, kill all rebels, get inflation down, and the next person should be able to make use of the extra year... so, I'll stop at 2 Jan, 1489. Technically, I ran my term all the way into 1489 ;)

Save file here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6l46eikyvjf2vhp
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:09:57 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2010, 02:08:17 pm »

Lol, this turned out to be my best EU3 game ever. The 30 years time limit and not being limited by inflation really spurred me on to move more aggressively, yet try to make it at least medium term so that the empire doesn't crumble to rebels later. I've spoilered the results to keep it a surprise :P

Spoiler: History from 1460-1489 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The world in 1489... (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World before and after (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Brunei 30 years ago (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Brunei in 1489 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:30:34 pm by Muz »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »

Wow that was fast. Very nice Brunei. I think Spain won't be getting much from that colony by your borders. And overall SE Asia seems off limits for colonials now :P .

Here is my AAR too, a bit late  :P .

Spoiler: History (click to show/hide)

The chain of events that led to the formation of the Polish Empire can be dated back to the reign of Jan I who simply followed the ideas laid to him by his forefathers Wladyslaw and August. the rules of the Jagiellon family concluded that to secure the well-being of thier dynasty they needed not only maintain the union of leadership between the Polish corona and the Lithuania princedom but they need to expand their influence on the remaining Slavic and Baltic lands in oder to maintain stable borders. The geopolitical situation of the Polish-Lithuanian union was a dire one at those times. Encroached by the often vindicative Holy Roman Empire to the west, Mongolian nomadic raiders to the east and the the relentlessly expanding Turkish Imperium to the south. The Union would need a firm foothold on all available lands if it was to keep it's liberty.

Jan I was freshly coronated when he was to play the crucial role in the Hungarian-Transylvanian war. the war broke out after Hungary attempted to forcibly annex the Transylvanian princedom which was a protectorate of the Poles. Hungary was Poland's main rival in the region and like his grandfather before him Jan I decided to answer the call to arms and wage fratricidal war against fellow Slavs.

Spoiler: War (click to show/hide)

Mercenaries hired by Venetian merchants were sent to assist the Hungarian military and conducted raids against the Polish countryside from Austrian territory. They were consecutively beaten back and in the meantime the main of the Hungarian forces was routed in a decisive battle. The Poles, being masters of the art of siege would then quickly lay waste to the Magyars fortifications. The war was a decisive victory for Poland and Hungary was not only forced to cede land, but also liberate the oppressed nation of Croatia thus sealing itself off from the Mediterranean.

Spoiler: after the war (click to show/hide)

Jan's next step in conquest was to use the temporary weakness of Polands ancient rival, the Order of Teutonic Knights and to "liberate" them of their remaining Baltic provinces. Some argue that the old land claims Jan used as his argument for waging war were and outright fabrication. The Prussian populace was debilitated by the strike and had no will to fight. Entire fortresses would abandon their posts at mere sight of the kings armies. This would lead to a humiliating peace for the Order, it would keep its independence but limit its domain to only it's capital city.

Yet another occasion to gain land would arise when polish merchants would file a protest against Novogrods trade policy. Although Poland was never much of a power in trade the kings reaction was brutal. He ordered an attack against the weak Republic and forcibly took some of their land to set an example. Novogrods armies were at the time besieging Muscovys fortifications during a harsh winter. King Jan rode to their position with a massive cavalry force and encircled the besieging forces between two of his armies. It was a bloodbath. Many mark this day as the end of Novgrods influence in the region which in turn would allow the rapid development of Muscovy as the local hegemony.

Spoiler: expanding northward (click to show/hide)

Soon afterward the king fell ill and passed away. Possibly enduing the Russian winter during his Novogrod campaign was the cause of his weakness. His son Stanislaw rose to succeed him. Stanislaw being a man of faith refrained throughout his rule from aggression against fellow catholics, deeming his fathers conquests a affront against God. Fearing further expansion of Muslim Empire into the unions lands after seeing the Genoan colonies of Azow and Kaffa fall to an alliance of Mongols and Turks. Stanislaw expanded Polands armies and opted a preemptive strike to retake the Crimean provinces for Christendom. The war against the Mongol Hordes resulted in a glorious victory for the union. The Crimean provinces were retaken, the Hordes armies were beaten and their leadership fractured.

Spoiler: final borders (click to show/hide)

Such rapid expansion had earned Poland the ire in foreign courts. Stanislaw having learned his lesson in relations opted to bring peace to the land but not before securing his northern borders with an alliance with Sweden. In the peacetime Polands existing administration proved ineffective for the amount of land it had to govern. Stanislaw then enacted his greatest reform. From archived Byzantine texts polish scholars managed to decipher the system of administration that governed the mighty Roman Empire in its times of glory. Stanislaw, always in awe of the Romans deeds opted to transform the monarchy into an empire the likes of which was described in the texts. The reform cost many years of instability and rebellion but in the end proved to be a stunning success. For there was now a second power, apart for the Holy Roman Empire claiming heritage of the Ancient Roman.

Updating first post with all this stuff. Barbarossa its your turn, no rush though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »

If someone wants to take their turn between now and Monday, they can. I won't be getting the game until then.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2010, 05:28:59 am »

Hmm.. I just thought of another fun mode for sequential EU3.

We take a single nation. Different players play as long as the regent lives, not just limited to 30 years. Once the king dies, the turn is passed to someone else. If the nation enters a personal union, the next player is allowed to play as the nation leader of the personal union.

Should make it a Magna Mundi game, so that everyone doesn't conquer all of Europe halfway through, and because MM leaves behind more trouble (fun!) for the next regent to handle :P

If the king dies too fast, we could make a vote to allow the player to keep playing, or savescumming is allowed.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2010, 07:14:26 am »

I think it would be doable, only thing is it would need people agreeing not to scum when their king dies. Also it would be unfair for someone to be stuck a whole turn with a lame monarach when everyone esle got 9/9/9 s :P.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2010, 07:36:54 pm »

It'd be fun, just stick a minimum length like 8 years - if your king dies within 8 years you can play until his successor dies too (which might be 30 years, or another 5).
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2010, 10:06:33 pm »

Alright, I will take a crack at this I think.

I still suck at the game so be ready for 'fun'

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2010, 10:20:37 pm »

Not letting me download.

Edit: Been "Processing download request..." for 20 min...

THREE FUCKING HOURS
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:15:38 am by Criptfeind »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2010, 01:21:46 am »

Muz, you need to reupload it to a place that will let me have it.

That or if someone else can get it if they might upload it to a better spot?

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2010, 05:35:40 am »

I've re-uploaded it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U0O8FCPG try again. Updating first post. Switching your and Barbarossa's turns.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15