Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should certain nations be banned?

Yes, no powerhouses al la France and OE allowed.
- 7 (41.2%)
Yes, lets have a banning draft to dissallow the unpopular ones.
- 1 (5.9%)
Yes, people shouldn't take weak and lame nations that won't effect the end result.
- 0 (0%)
No, all nations should be legit.
- 9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Let's re-write history! (forum game of eu3)  (Read 29963 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Let's re-write history! (forum game of eu3)
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »

!!!SEPARATE PLAYER LISTS AVAILABLE FOR PEOPLE WITH HEIR TO THE THRONE AND WITHOUT!!! SPECIFY WHAT VERSION YOU PLAY DURING SIGNUP!

Here's an idea for a forum game of Europa Universalis 3 that popped up in one of the threads. In order to partake you need the latest version 3.2 of EU3 Complete (vanilla + Napoleons Ambitions and In Nomine expansions). Participants will take turns playing our save game each playing a 30 year period as a different nation. (the save files are in the \europa universalis iii - complete\save games folder with the extension .eu3). In the end we will see what will become of our own Boatmurdered version of history.  :D

Here is a basic sketch of some of the rules I think might be useful to keep our game interesting. Feel free to suggest something here if you think it's needed:

1. We play in 30 year intervals. Each turn ends with the January 1 1xx0 autosave. Once your turn is done you upload the save and pass it on to the next player on the list.

2. At the start of your turn you get to choose which nation you will play for the full 30 year period. Once a nation has been chosen by one player it cannot be chosen again in another period. (this is to prevent creating one superpower that everyone wants to play and that turns this into a succession game). During signups you can reserve one nation that you think you might want to play during your turn. Other players cannot choose nations that have been reserved. You do not have to choose the nation you reserved, if you choose a different one then your reservation can be later chosen by someone else. (Obviously, there is no guarantee that any particular nation will be around during the time period you come to play in)

3. So far I think all nations are fair pick, I've set up a poll to see what you guys have to say about it. If you decide we should only play medium and minor powers or that you REALLY don't want someone screwing over Europe as Ottomans in 30 years then okay.

4. Obviously, no cheats allowed.

5.Once they've posted the save for the next person to get digging it would be nice if each person would write up even the smallest ARR(after-action-report) of their turn, at least to tell us what they were up to and what went down on the global scene. In the end, a compilation of these AARs might end up to be an interesting read.

6.I don't want to add a "no scumming" rule, so I won't. Instead, let it read "no lagging". It's okay if you reload when you feel you screwed yourself over, but we can't have every players turn taking a month of real time or people will lose interest, so no perfectionism. Take a minor failure if it comes to you, reload if you feel you have to but, most of all, try to finish your turn within the week or two.(This what I'm afraid of is most likely to kill this game - a delay spiral)

7. We need a rule for when someone is unable to play their turn. I don't want the tables to drop as then someone might find himself playing a completely different period than the one he was expecting, so when someone drops out from the list his place can be filled in by anyone. What this means is that when someone drops out then someone else will get to play two turns, just as long as each turn will be with a different nation.

8. One last important rule that might help prevent unnecessary drama. Don't be a dick. When you start your turn right after someone don't just choose a neighboring superpower make it your personal mission to tear down all that he managed to achieve.(unless, of course he first agrees that you do it, or dares you to try  ;D )

So far i think we we'll be playing with all gameplay option set to NORMAL and with Lucky nations set to HISTORICAL(he he, lets see how far that can go :P )

If you want in on this(utter eu3 newbies are welcome, after all I am one  :P ), please post the date you want to play and your reserved nation(if you want one bad).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:41:17 pm by Toady Two »

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's re-write history! (forum game of eu3)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:40:56 pm »

Shouldn't it be 1399~1430? I mean, you start on 10/14 1399, in other words, you're giving them less time than before.. >.>

In any case, I pick 1399~1430/1439; MING.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:56:29 pm »

The first player get to play till January 1st 1430 so he gets a 2 month bonus compared to everyone else.

The last player sort of gets a ONE YEAR bonus but I guess thats unaviodable.

Ming is fine unless to poll comes out with us banning the superpowers, IIRC Ming is the defininition of superpower :D .
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:58:37 pm by Toady Two »

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:09 pm »

Fine then, I'll wait until the poll ends to begin my game. How long should each turn last? A week might be fine, but might be too hard-pressing on some people. I think a two week turn maximum would be fine, but can sometimes be too long.

Also, a player has the right to put the upload early if he/she feels that the nation is satisfactory, right

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »

Yeah, I see no problem with them doing that. Hopefully it won't create too large gaps in the time periods. If that is the case someone can always choose some peaceful African nation or whatever and burn some years away so peoples time periods fit again.

If someone thinks he can't finish his turn in two weeks he should play a shorter period or get skipped.

Ok so I'll try to play 1430 - 1459 as Vijayaganar and hopefully go all out offensive and conquer India.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:46:28 pm by Toady Two »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:49:45 pm »

I don't know enough about this game to change history very much (save by causing any country to collapse within years), so I'll just watch.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:35:57 pm »

Two weeks is ok, preferably ASAP, though.

IMO, Ming isn't really a superpower. It's like at the peak of its power, doesn't get a lot stronger. Any expansionist attempts would probably end up with it getting screwed later :P

In a non-Magna Mundi game, you could end up with just about every nation as a superpower.

I'll take Morocco with the intention of converting the Iberian peninsula and ruining Morocco's economy while I'm at it :P

BTW, send me a PM when it's my turn. I might forget about it while waiting for others.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:22:33 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:14:33 pm »

This is relevant to my interests.

I don't have EU3 yet (I was planning on getting it when I finished a game of CK) but I if you will let a newbie join I think I can get it and learn how to play for my turn.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:26 am »

I'd enter but I really don't like playing EU3 without mods. It feels like easy mode.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:27 am »

I'd like to play if I could talk Hyo into giving me the first spot.  30 years is about all the time I need to get Byzantium back on it's feet and make it strong enough to survive anything but a determined player effort to take them down.  But if I don't have Byzantium at the start of the game, there won't be an empire for me to resurrect.  If you want alternate history, I think a Roman Empire surviving into the modern era fits the bill nicely.  I think I even have a save in the mid 1420's on my computer so I could get the post to Hyo by tonight.

Edit: Yeah, checked the savegames and I've got a game where by 1411, Ottomans are down to 3 territories and the Romans are back in control of Greece and Western Anatolia.  Interestingly, Castile is getting the stuffings pounded out of it by Portogaul and Aragon, which have taken 5 territories off it, though it did nick a couple off Grenada, which doesn't look like it will be around for long.  I also have a December of 1433 save where I'm roughly back to Basil's Empire (plus outposts in Jerusalem and Alexandria.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:40:59 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 12:39:31 am »

I'd like to play if I could talk Hyo into giving me the first spot.  30 years is about all the time I need to get Byzantium back on it's feet and make it strong enough to survive anything but a determined player effort to take them down.  But if I don't have Byzantium at the start of the game, there won't be an empire for me to resurrect.  If you want alternate history, I think a Roman Empire surviving into the modern era fits the bill nicely.  I think I even have a save in the mid 1420's on my computer so I could get the post to Hyo by tonight.
This.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 01:30:24 am »

Don't don't know about Hyo but I'll gladly cede my spot to see a Byzantine resurgence. If they can survive until 1430 then you could still pull off your Ottoman pounding. If Hyo agrees i will switch you two in spots.

BTW, send me a PM when it's my turn. I might forget about it while waiting for others.

Thats what I'll do.

I'd enter but I really don't like playing EU3 without mods. It feels like easy mode.

That is why you are on a timer. Sure you can pull off a world conquest as Inca in EU3:IN just not in 30 years time(I hope ;D )

@ Barbarossa and Criptfiend: there are on rules against newbies so if you have the proper version you are welcome to join.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 02:07:30 am »

I can't pull of the proper Byzantine resurgence unless I have the first spot.  The initial years of the game are crucial.  The Ottomans are distracted by Timur and the Greek states are ripe for plucking.  After 30 years the greek states are all gobbled up and the Ottomans are eying Constantinople itself.  With a dose of luck I might be able to get a little territory, but I can't pull of a resurrection because I simply can't wage enough wars, let alone win them in such a short span of time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 03:32:25 am »

Is this for EU3 Complete & the Heir to the Throne expansion, or just EU3 Complete?  If it's the former, I'd like to play. If its the latter, I don't think my install would be compatible...
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 06:52:59 am »

... The thing is, the Ming AI can screw itself over without player guidance, but that's what it'd do even without me so sure, go ahead, let the Byzantines take my place. I'd be grateful if I could still get second or third though; or at least the next one available.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:21:15 am by Hyo »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15