Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dropping out of school?  (Read 6410 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping out of school?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 09:05:49 am »

How many of you live in big cities? I bet that moving to a less populated area is way cheaper right?
Living in a small town myself, I can tell you that housing, at least, is many times cheaper. However, you're pretty much screwed for jobs unless you want to work in a store, at a lumber mill, or in a mine.

Heigh HOOO!!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 09:18:23 am »

School wouldn't suck if teachers didn't expect me to write 3 exams on one day instead of 3 exams on different days.
You'll get that a lot in any line of work. Don't fool yourself that work is somehow easier than school.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 09:21:21 am »

Three Exams in one day... that can just destroy your brain depending on your level of concentration.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:00 am »

So can deadlines at work.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:42 am »

Don't fool yourself that work is somehow easier than school.

Oh how I wish that was the case. School goers have it easy (also I need a change of career)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 09:48:53 am »

So can deadlines at work.

Yep, except there is a difference in quality

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 10:10:57 am »

I live in DC, arguably one of the more expensive places to live in the US.

That said, moving away would deprive me of a majority of my specific job market.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:30 am »

Three Exams in one day... that can just destroy your brain depending on your level of concentration.
The university I'm at has a rule where if you have more than 2 exams on 1 day, you can take one or more at an alternative time.

As far as homework goes, while I can't say for certain of European schools, from what I've experienced in the US, college/university professors tend to give less little busywork assignments. And although end of term papers and projects can be quite densely packed as far as due dates go, you typically are given enough weeks in advance that as long as you begin work on them relatively early, it shouldn't be too difficult to get everything in on time. But if you do end up putting things off, you will end up with a Fun week or two near the end. Last week, for example, I had 6 days to do a programming project which by the end I put in somewhere between 35 and 45 hours on. But that was a core course for my major; so such is to be expected.

I would also have to agree with the previous post about your university and/or professors not doing their job if they don't prepare you for finding employment. At my university of RIT, our coursework is aimed at employment with 3 quarters of co-op (rather well paid internships) required to graduate with a 4 year degree. And even after graduation they will provide us with help finding employment if needed.

Always be sure to ask about these things when choosing a university. I once went to visit the open-house for a small university and asked what the employment rate of graduates was; when they answered about 70%, I knew it was time to leave. Most colleges and universities, at least here in the states, keep statistics about employment rates of their graduates. That number is one of the most important factor in choosing a college/university. It is typically hard to find on their websites, but in-person tours of a campus will usually have someone who knows the number.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:53:16 am by alway »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:41 am »

In my experience, University is so different from high school...(Canada)

High school: Go to four different classes for 70 minutes a day each, during which you're constantly doing pointless little assignments and busywork, and getting homework.

University: Going to lectures (which are basically non-interactive, watching the teacher talk, and pseudo-optional) for 5 different courses for 3 hours a week each. Sometimes going to labs, which are interactive. Plenty of courses only have 1-4 assignments due all semester, layed out on the first day of class, with a midterm and final exam making up most of the mark.
So, while I'm getting more "homework" (that is, practically all my work) than highschool, I'm only actually in class for 1-4 hours a day. And I find it immensely more managable than high school.

I'm in a science major, though, so YMMV. I don't know if arts is different.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 11:31:51 am »

The amount of lectures that you get is highly dependent on your subject. I know historians who have two 1-hour lectures a week, and scientists (I can't remember which science right now) that have upwards of 20 hours a week. As a mathermatician, I have a solid ten.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:54 am »

My arts program runs similar to yours, DeKa,but without labs unless it is a practical or language course, and more focus on interactivity during the class time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 05:36:31 pm »

I'm from the UK, dropped out of highschool in year 9 (I was 13-14 or so), it was a bad idea, managed to get back in in time to still get GCSEs. I then went to college, and dropped out of that too. It's been over a year now and I've had 3 months of paid work since then which was a serious battle to get in the first place (Made a thread about it a while ago). Starting a paid training course in Feb, the only pay I'm going to be getting for a while I guess.

Long story short if you're under 18 and haven't worked a day in your life, don't do it. If you you're over 18 and have work experience, go for it, I guess.

Not a good idea really.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:02 pm »

My situation is hardly typical, but I dropped out at 16 years old and aced my GED, worked construction until I was 18, then went into the military for 4 years and came out with the education and training to get a very nice job.

Might be something to consider.

What year did you enlist? You sure got lucky. GED is not considered equivalent to a high school diploma as far as that goes, and the quota for GED / non-high school graduates is damn low.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 09:57:12 pm »

200/month including electricity? Jesus christ. I've got more housemates than you and we pay way more than that, even rounding out the various included utilities, and it's still one of the cheapest places we could find while looking for a lease. Where is this magical rentland?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »

Finish school if you haven't. College is another matter. You can go to college if you've graduated from school, if you want later, but finish school first. Learning useless things is nice anyway, it helps creativity.

The point of college is either to learn things or to get a better job. If you're not getting either, don't bother. Bill Gates never finished college :P But if you're almost there, then don't drop out, it'd be a waste.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6