Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dropping out of school?  (Read 6411 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping out of school?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 04:23:52 am »

My advice to you is to go to university, and enrol in an Arts program. Not because it's easier, but because Math, Engineering, and Science degrees don't actually teach critical thinking skills (even though everybody who has them think they do)
::)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like I said, they all think they do, and they will argue endlessly that they do, because unless they developed these skills on their own, nobody ever taught them to question their degree.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 04:33:21 am »

Like I said, they all think they do, and they will argue endlessly that they do, because unless they developed these skills on their own, nobody ever taught them to question their degree.

That's a non-argument, using a point to infer itself. Personally I think most degrees teach you to question, and if they don't then the teachers where doing a bad job.

What is the point of learning stuff if your not learning how to think?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 04:36:54 am »

Hi, K-Mart. I'm a part-time bartender at a cafe making 7.25 an hour and I fucking love my life. Three very close roommates/friends, an awesome boyfriend, internet, hot water, healthcare provided by my employer, ample time to do what I like, and a physically monotonous (instead of mentally monotonous) job. I pay $200 a month for rent and electricity, I can walk to work, I get ridiculous snooty coffee for dirt cheap, I'm in excellent shape, and I'm happy.

If you sat me in front of a desk to do data entry, I would likely end up working on my writing instead and promptly be fired, because I can't comprehend how to not be bored mad doing other people's thinking. It's not that I don't appreciate the necessity of those jobs, I just don't care about it.

If I went back to school, I would likely have constant mixed-states and depression in my anxiety to succeed, thanks to my father being a sociopathic emotionally abusive control freak, but I'm ok with that, because that's really not the only place you can learn things.

"College is not for everyone" is not a useless platitude. My life isn't perfect, but I'm a hell of a lot more alive than I would be if I had "stuck it out" through college. I mean that literally.

Problem, collegebuddies?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:03:07 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 04:38:51 am »

Thanks for answering y'all.
My hate for school comes from teachers emphasising biology, chemistry and math. I don't like being forced these things.
Hey I might do what you said.
I knew already that I would have to start somewhere and that beginnings aren't easy.

You'd be surprised how little people need to get by.
a $ is about 3 zlote in poland. A man earning 200$ a month can live here no problem.
I just need a way to avoid unenployment in the current economic situation, and I thought that self-employment was the way to go.

How many of you live in big cities? I bet that moving to a less populated area is way cheaper right?

Also I wouldn't stand to live doing things I hate, and that's the current education system. They teach you how blood streams and nervous tissue work, but they don't teach you how to get a job. :/

EDIT: Eagleon just won this thread kinda

You know how much is the lowest wage here in poland? 2$/hour in fact less than that. So things in europe don't scale back to USA
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:42:03 am by Rooster »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 04:41:13 am »

How many of you live in big cities? I bet that moving to a less populated area is way cheaper right?
Harder to get a job though. Also, depending on your personality, maybe less interesting.
Music, Ballpoint

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 04:43:44 am »

Hi, K-Mart. I'm a part-time bartender at a cafe making 7.25 an hour and I fucking love my life. Three very close roommates/friends, an awesome boyfriend, internet, hot water, healthcare provided by my employer, ample time to do what I like, and a physically monotonous (instead of mentally monotonous) job. I pay $200 a month for rent and electricity, I can walk to work, I get ridiculous snooty coffee for dirt cheap, I'm in excellent shape, and I'm happy.

If you sat me in front of a desk to do data entry, I would likely end up working on my writing instead and promptly be fired, because I can't comprehend how to not be bored mad doing other people's thinking. It's not that I don't appreciate the necessity of those jobs, I just don't care about it.

If I went back to school, I would likely have constant mixed-states and depression in my anxiety to succeed, thanks to my father being a sociopathic emotionally abusive control freak, but I'm ok with that, because that's really not the only place you can learn things.

"College is not for everyone" is not a useless platitude. My life isn't perfect, but I'm a hell of a lot more alive than I would be if I had "stuck it out" through college. I mean that literally.

Problem, <omitted>?

No problem here - in fact, I think you're far better off than many college students.

That said, the chances of people getting a situation as good as yours are pretty low.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:37:05 pm by Toady One »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 04:46:03 am »

I just need a way to avoid unenployment in the current economic situation, and I thought that self-employment was the way to go.
The current economic climate is not particularily friendly to self-employment either. You still need people to pay you for your labor, after all.

Depends in what you have in mind, exactly. I don't think it's necessarily cheaper, but I do think that, as Eagleon says, there might be less chances to get a job. On the other hand if you perform an essential labor and are self-employed, you might meet less competition.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 04:50:19 am »

I pay $200 a month for rent and electricity

Damn I wish I paid that for rent... :/
One of the problems of living in a city in England I guess.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 04:52:05 am »

No problem here - in fact, I think you're far better off than many college students.

That said, the chances of people getting a situation as good as yours are pretty low.
True enough. That image just made me laugh a little because the wage is the same as mine. I mean, there are things I could get with more money, like a nicer computer. Maybe capital to start a rapid prototyping service would be nice. I'm steadily improving my skills away from college, so who knows what will happen. I understand that my situation might not be as stable as others, but I have a support net, and people aren't going to want robot baristas any time soon. And hey, if they do, that means it doesn't matter too much, because all our problems will be solved by our all-knowing robot overlords.
Damn I wish I paid that for rent... :/
One of the problems of living in a city in England I guess.
Get four roommates you can actually stand ;) I'm pretty lucky in that sense, I'll admit.
Music, Ballpoint

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 04:57:40 am »

Get four roommates you can actually stand ;) I'm pretty lucky in that sense, I'll admit.

Getting four that could stand me might be more tricky :)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 04:59:31 am »

Getting four that could stand me might be more tricky :)
Hell, I'm looking for accomdoation next year, and no matter if you're looking for a house of four or a house of eight, It's damn near impossible to find one where people won't be kicking in £400/month each ($635 USD).

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:45 am »

Kinseti's dad grew up in a time where it was easier to get by without a diploma. School was not considered important at all until the 50s and 60s, and there were plenty of openings available for jobs which did not require a diploma or degree for a long while after that, especially in industries such as the automotive industry.

While this is true, it was not altogether my point. If you have a trade (be it practical or artistic) and you are good at it, nobody gives two shits how much academic education you have. The fact is though, most people unwilling to commit to highschool are equally unwilling to commit to their chosen avenue of work, and end up with a terrible job if any job at all.

My general advice, Rooster, is: Highschool sucks, tough it out. Take some college courses in what you're interested in, and if it still sucks, then start thinking about dropping out. Work on your art in the meantime. I can't say I'm an expert on life in Poland, but extra education is never time wasted, and you'll have something better to fall back on if all your plans collapse in on themselves. And I'm not being needlessly pessimistic here, it happens all the time.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32:31 am »

School wouldn't suck if teachers didn't expect me to write 3 exams on one day instead of 3 exams on different days.
It wouldn't suck also if I had to work only in school and not get loads of homework, which is rarely even checked.
The fact that parents don't help me in learning, is the nail to the coffin

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 05:40:41 am »

Teachers are paid sod all and massively overworked. And although I agree they need to put things on different day that would be even more work for them to coordinate. Blame the system not the teachers :)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 09:01:54 am »

Living in a small town myself, I can tell you that housing, at least, is many times cheaper. However, you're pretty much screwed for jobs unless you want to work in a store, at a lumber mill, or in a mine.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6