Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Armordeath - Succession Game  (Read 10390 times)

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armordeath - Succession Game
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:12:58 pm »

Even if it was salty you could desalinate it with a pump. But the problem is moving it up with limited supply of wood. Or we could just farm in the cavern level. Idk yet, but I don't think I'll be leader to see the solution  :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:17:37 pm »

TO MAGMA AND METAL

Oh wait, we'd still need power. Use the wood for the reactors and connections?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:28:11 pm »

Well we have stone, we could just make connections out of chains of gear assemblies. I suppose we could just trade for the wood. Or we could do it the dwarven way and subjugate the caverns to our will :)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:17 pm »

The cavern route would be fastest, get us the most wood, and we'd have to do it anyway to bring up the water/magma.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 09:47:57 am »

I've built a small tower now, so hopefully it won't get too cold. The miners are always underground anyways.

The temperature is defined by above/under ground not by inside/outside. Also there was a way of obtaining water using cave-ins but I guess it's ridiculously complicated in compassion with using gifts of the underground.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 05:03:12 pm »

Di: I'm kind of new to the 2010 DF so I'm not sure how temperature works exactly, but my dwarves didn't instantly die so that's a plus. If they're doomed by the temperature then we could always reembark somewhere else, as it's not just the map that's a challenge here.

Cagedknight's log --

3rd Hematite 126-
I have instructed the others to begin construction of a preliminary windmill to both test the windstrength and the viability. We're going to need power eventually anyway, so starting our power grid isn't that bad of an idea.

11th Hematite 126-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have taken it upon myself to begin carving some peepholes in the walls so we can see what the caverns are like. I was also informed that our Horse had an epic duel with a blizzard man. We all must do our part to secure Armordeath.

20th Hematite 126-
Disaster. That Blizzard man that attacked our horse a few days ago wandered too close to our camp so I mobilized our dwarves in an effort to stop it. Unfortunately, instead of attacking at the same time like the last ones the poor bastards wandered over one at a time. One dwarf down and most likely another one will soon follow. At the same time, however, the king has sent migrants to assist us! I'm sure these fine lads will be elite military dwarves or master craftsmen.
Or a wood burner. Well at least he's a decent enough diagnostician so he can hopefully tell our injured why they're injured.

23rd Hematite 126-
We managed to defeat the blizzard man but at great cost. All of the initial dwarves are dead, except me, and I am gravely injured. I won't make it to the beds so I'm leaving these brave but useless reinforcements to hold down and survive to accomplish the king's goals. I wish I could have seen this to the end.
(the carnage of the battle)
Never give up! Never surrender!

OOC: Well damn that blizzard man kicked my ass. At least we got migrants to keep this alive.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »

Give orders as a ghost. This looks cool.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:21 pm »

OOC: I really need to learn the color scheme for injuries in this version, because I saw all yellow body parts with a couple right fingers and I assumed my dwarf was screwed, but apparently I was just fine and dandy and am now back to work.

Log of Cagedknight

13th Malachite 126-
I barely survived the encounter with the blizzard man, but the death of my comrades was very hard on me. I spent the last two weeks throwing snowballs at passing wildlife and dwarves alike. I have now accepted that I am alive and they are not and must move on. I have also been informed by some of the new arrivals that it appears that they have found a decent spot to build a farm. It started off fairly defended, there are no creatures nearby and we built our staircase right next to it. Hopefully we can bring this to fruition without any more losses. I have included a rough sketch of my plans

26th Malachite 126-
Another blizzard man attack. Hopefully we can fend this one off without any losses

5th Galena 126-
We were able to fend off the blizzard man after a brave sacrifice from our bone carver.
(Who needs thumbs, toes, or a nose anyway?)

2nd Limestone 126-
Autumn has arrived. That blizzard man that I wrote about in my last entry decided that he just wasn't going to die, much to our dismay. We began trying to run from it, collecting ammo, and trying to attack it again with little success, but eventually it moved to the edge of the map and we just left it there unconscious. Hopefully the King keeps his word about sending a caravan as we have a decent amount of goods to give them (read: stuff from dead dwarves).

18th Limestone 126-
Amazingly, even with all the hardships we have been able to secure an area of the cavern for a farm plot. All is not lost after all.

OOC: As far as I know, all is not lost. Monsters can't break walls, trees, or spawn inside a boxed off room can they?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 06:07:40 pm »

They can't break walls or trees, and they can only spawn inside boxed-off rooms that have an edge open to the edge of the map (but I guess that wouldn't be very boxed-off, now would it?).
Can I request a dwarf? If possible, I'd like to be a planter named SirAaron.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 07:27:51 pm »

Log of Cagedknight, former denizen of Armordeath

22nd Limestone 126-
My body has finally given up on me. After the last battle with the fierce blizzard men I must have somehow gotten an infection. I suppose I am now to join my brethren in the afterlife. I still feel a tether to this world, however, I do not want to abandon these brave souls, at least until one of them decides to take charge. I can still direct their actions by taking possession of the lesser minded ones and forcing them to do my will. I must complete my mission or at least set its completion into motion.

15th Sandstone 126-
Not wanting my body to rot in the garbage dump, I quickly had the dwarves build me a tomb. Crude, but it will suffice for now.
Still waiting on that caravan.

17th Sandstone 126-
The first ale of Armordeath has been brewed. Normally there would be a great celebration, but in the current circumstances it is necessary for survival.

18th Sandstone 126-
As if recognizing the aroma of freshly brewed ale, reinforcements have arrived. A new living quarters must be made to support the influx of dwarves, but they are quickly welcomed as more hands are needed to accomplish our goals.

19th Sandstone 126-
Nevermind, apparently we only got 3 dwarves. Bringing the total to a rousing 9. Though that is a net gain of 2 dwarves so far. None are particularly useful to me either. The poor souls are also being chased by one of our nemeses - a blizzard man. Luckily they were able to outrun him long enough to cause a loss of interest. Unfortunately another of our dwarves has succumbed to infection, probably of the same kind that brought me down. I don't think any more are showing symptoms, thankfully.

8th Timber 126-
Another Blizzard man attack. Thankfully this one was quickly subdued, but he is still alive with every limb broken, including his head and upper body. I guess none of the weaklings can deliver the finishing blow.

14th Timber 126-
The Blizzard man is somehow still alive. I have included an image of the monster as he continually mocks our dwarves from unconsciousness.
(seriously these things can take a beating, there was another page of injuries on this guy)

19th Timber 126-
The dwarven caravan has arrived, but the blizzard man is still alive, so no goods can be brought to the depot. Hopefully the caravan guards can put an end to this invulnerable foe.

22nd Timber 126-
No the caravan has decided to completely bypass it and head straight to the depot. too bad all our dwarves are tied up there.

27th Timber 126-
Salvation! The blizzard man was able to recover enough to crawl within range of our trade depot and then was quickly dispatched by the caravan guards. I'm glad that someone around here can actually fight.

1st Moonstone 126-
We have made it to winter! Hopefully we can quickly trade with the caravan and get supplies we need to continue our mission.

4th Moonstone 126-
The broker managed to obtain a couple of fish and some booze. We need to bring more goods to the depot before the traders depart and get more though.

13th Moonstone 126-
There was a Liaison with the caravan who had the audacity to "discuss our situation". They are supposed to be helping us not die and dig to the depths, not make money off of us. Fortunately, I had the foresight to reclaim all of the old clothes of our deceased and put those up for trade, so they're not going to be stealing our valuables. If I was still alive, I would deal with him, but I mustn't let my feelings bog down the work of the remaining few dwarves.

14th Moonstone 126-
The broker managed to secure the remaining food and alcohol. He also traded for an iron sword and some metal armor, which our chief medical dwarf quickly snatched them up and proclaimed that he was the new militia commander. His name is Urist Imiknorris or something, not like it matters in this place.

20th Moonstone 126-
The merchants have left and with them goes the protection of the caravan guards. Our brave dwarves are on their own again.

SirAaronIII - sure, you have been dwarfed

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »

Log of Cagedknight, former denizen of Armordeath

9th Opal 126-
Curses! I look away for one minute and these dwarves make fools out of me. A useless dwarf was killed by an assaulting blizzard man. Now it is time to mobilize the militia under the command of Urist Imiknorris and see if he is as good as he says.

11th Opal 126-
Unfortunately, Urist was asleep. The assailant now known as Zulashlegon has gone and killed 2 more. With no one to stop the monster he began to bruise SirAaron's organs.

12th Opal 126-
Finally! a dwarf that listeens to my commands, the once useless wood burner has become quite proficient at using his crossbow, especially as a bludgeon (probably from the repeated blizzard man attacks) and is now forcing the beast to retreat.
Scratch that, he's dead. Fortunately, Urist woke up long enough to kill Zulashlegon, but we have suffered heavy losses. 4 dwarves currently call Armordeath their home.

22nd Opal 126-
The dead dwarves are now buried at least. No more blizzard men appear to be attacking either, I don't know why this is, but I don't think anyone is complaining much.

7th Obsidian 126-
Still quiet, this would be the perfect time to begin construction of a new fortress, but without the dwarfpower it will be nearly impossible. I'm going to wait until a migrant wave shows up before starting any new constructions.

1st Granite 127-
It has been a whole year here. Much as been accomplished but at great cost. I think I will stop controlling these dwarves for a while, they seem to be handling themselves well enough. The work is still not complete, however, so I must observe, at least until ground is broken on the king's plan.

OOC: This is the hardest fort I have ever played, while I don't think I handled it that bad, it definitely could have gone better. No more blizzard men have spawned yet though, so perhaps things are finally starting to look up. We have plenty of food and booze, we just need more dwarves. Future rulers should note that F2 is the hotkey to the cavern level with the farm. All right then, Di it is your turn to try and make heads or tails of this.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3438

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 11:34:52 pm »

Dang ol' blizzard men. Could I get a screenshot of my injuries, please?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 02:34:14 am »

No freezing deaths?  :o Oh, I've already been devising the winter warning system, winter quarters, and magma plumbing for heating systems.
Alright that can wait for another fort.

I'll get to play tomorrow.
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 03:41:10 am »

Dang ol' blizzard men. Could I get a screenshot of my injuries, please?

Your dwarf is fine, he just sustained bruises and some minor damage. He's got a broken toe, shoulder and left floating rib, but compared to the dwarves before you, that's nothing. No fear of infection either, because all your damage is internal. I'm still not 100% on how the health care works in this version, but if it's anything like 40d building a hospital would doom any injured dwarf since we still don't have a source of water (the cavern is there and has a huge lake, but I didn't want to risk any more deaths.

No freezing deaths?  :o Oh, I've already been devising the winter warning system, winter quarters, and magma plumbing for heating systems.
Alright that can wait for another fort.

I'll get to play tomorrow.

No, fortunately there were no freezing deaths, that would have been a bit too Fun. Though we will have to bring magma to the surface eventually anyway.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 05:15:18 am »

On the other matter, save is 31.16. Should I move it to 17 or 18?

Edit: peeked in. Wow, life is harsh in Armordeath everyone's geared up for fighting.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:29:46 am by Di »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7