Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Armordeath - Succession Game  (Read 10376 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armordeath - Succession Game
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

Build a sea warmer...Difficult because... Glacial volcanoes are fun, after all you're making a dwarven volcano.
Those who aren't encased in ice will be encased in obsidian or burn't to death, which is always fun.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2010, 09:34:36 pm »

Uggi, are you almost done? Or are you even there? If not It passes to Dariush. If Uggi doesn't update in the next couple days, I'm sorry but we'll have to skip him.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2010, 09:42:38 pm »

Almost done.. game time is currently in early winter, and the dwarven caravan is just about to leave. I'll try to finish it up in next 24 hrs. Going to get some sleep now.

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 03:34:51 am »

Ok that's good to hear. Hope you have some Fun stories to tell  :D

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2010, 03:33:00 am »

I've finally finished my turn and currently writing the journal. Will post an update with pictures in a few hours.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »

Journal of Uggi Olonoltar, manager

129 Granite 1, early spring
Our group of migrants arrived to this remote outpost in autumn 127. At that time I was still known as Tun Olonoltar. With me came my wife and our two kids. A year later our third child was born inside these walls. It seems to be a tradition here to change leadership every year. I've already seen two leaders here. When Graebeard retired, the position came again available. I volunteered, and now I'm in charge of this fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kubuk Omercilob, our bookkeeper and manager is really talented bookkeeper, but awful organizer. As a trained administrator and with adequate organizer skills I'm taking the manager's position myself.

Our population is currently 91. The mayor, Rith Rikkirsakzul, is unhappy. Citizens have been yelling at him and he doesn't even have an office. There are 11 injured dwarves waiting to be diagnosed and there's no hospital. The chief medical dwarf, Urist Imiknorris, is also the militia commander. I cannot see how she can do both jobs. Udib Okangrigoth will be our new chief medical dwarf, she is already good at dressing wounds.

I relieved some dwarves from the military. Dumat Udilkekim, our broker and skilled miner, Di, a legendary miner, and SirAaron, a farmer, were relieved. Also Zon Alåthottem was let go because of his injuries. I then had to arrange all squads again and recruit some dwarves with military skills. The experts say a three man squad would maximize time spent on sparring, so we'll try that.

129 Granite 2
I visited the barracks today. Our military really needs proper weapons and armor, and we have access to every material needed for steel production. There are also some adamantine veins deep down in the caverns, but digging into that would be insanely dangerous. We are low on coke, so I ordered some veins of bituminous coal and lignite to be mined.

129 Granite 12
The reactor room overflowed! Somehow the water reactor had started by itself and turned the reactor room into a muddy mess. I told Graebeard that he can stop operating the screw pump that was filling the water cistern below the reactor. Mud is also a problem in the cistern, I can already see some tower-caps growing under the water wheels. We have to shut down the reactor and drain the cistern.

129 Granite 15
I just found out that Kubuk's office is just a lone chair in the courtyard. I gave him a chair in the dining room so he can work indoors. We really need a city hall for our offices.

129 Granite 23
Today a kobold was spotted inside our walls, near gem stockpile. The military was sent to take care of it. However the kobold turned out to be a Master Thief with a sharp dagger. It slashed Asob Sibrekothil's hand clean off and then stabbed Adil Berrithar in the head. Adil was killed instantly. Nobody knows how long the kobold had been hiding in the shadows. The military is usually training near the main gate and should spot any thiefs. I will have the barracks moved a bit closer to the main gate.

129 Slate 2, mid-spring
Migrants! Leading the group is a high master surgeon/wound dresser. Just what we needed! A few days ago I ordered a hospital complex to be built. It will be made of granite, not ice. The upper store will have space for offices.

129 Slate 9
The mayor wants fine pewter items, so I told furnace operators to smelt some bars of fine pewter. Bars count as items, right? The drawbridge was lowered to let the migrants in, but some of them are still waiting outside. Are they having second thoughts? Weird people.

129 Slate 15
Finally last of the migrants decided to come in. There were total 21 of them. One of them still a child, but she'll grow into adulthood in a year. Fortress population is now 111.

129 Slate 25
Our wood stockpiles are really low. I told the woodcutters to mow down the first cavern.

129 Felsite 14, late spring
Speaking of wood, the elves came.  Oh how I hope to see the day the magma pump stack reaches the surface and we can have a big bonfire of !!elves!!. Until then, we'll exchange all their wood to useless rock trinkets.

129 Hematite 8, early summer
The magma pump stack is nearing the farm level. I'm considering the possibility of building new magma workshops there. The pump housing from farms to surface is not ready. The outer walls are incomplete and removing all the scaffolding and building floors would require lots of orders. Building forges here would halve the distance, and the cavern lake can provide water for obsidian farming. If we have to live in the surface, I'd like to see some stone there instead of ice.

Speaking of it, I don't like the idea that we have ice under our buildings when we are bringing hot magma to the surface. I will order the miners to dig out all the ice under the hospital. And then we'll build the foundations down into the rock layer. Then when the world is flooded with magma, at least one building will be left standing.

129 Hematite 18
The elves finally left. I sent the military out with the caravan, in case of ambushers. They found nothing. Oh well, at least the elves brought some exotic animals. Now we have two tigers, three elephants and a jaguar.

129 Malachite 3, mid-summer
Zon Alåthottem died from thirst today. Apparently all of our wells were either dry or frozen. We will have new wells built near the farms. An expansion to the dining hall is being built. We will have more room for workshops, and maybe living quarters in the upper floors. The stalls will have butcher's workshops upstairs, and barracks are also being expanded.

129 Malachite 24
Migrants! Total 9 of them. The first floor of the hospital is almost completed. Also the magma pump housing is now complete. The outer walls, I mean. Pumps have been installed all the way up to the farm level. Miners are digging room for new magma workshops.

129 Malachite 26
Oh noes, a cave-in! A block of ice came crashing down under the hospital. No injuries.

129 Galena 1, late summer
Olin Ustuthimush, our skilled stonecrafter, is having one of those weird moods that we sometimes have. She is working furiously in craftdwarf's workshop. She went there with just one stone of microcline. I'm interested to see what that turns into.

129 Galena 5
She created a microcline toy axe, or as she calls it, "Forkponder". The damn thing menaces with spikes of microcline. Worth 2400 dwarf bucks. Sigh. Well, at least she is now a legendary stonecrafter.

129 Limestone 25, early autumn
Human caravan came a few days ago. And today 11 migrants arrived. One of them is a high master stonecrafter and some of the rest are possible recruits for our military.

129 Sandstone 26, mid-autumn
There have been sightings of a giant mole wandering in the staircases. Our hunter went after it. I didn't know we had a hunter here. There's nothing to hunt in the surface.

129 Timber 19, late autumn
Outpost liaison and caravan from our mountainhomes arrived. Urist Idashcatten seems possessed. He is clearly looking for something that we don't have. I'll order some new workshops to be built.

129 Timber 20
Disaster strikes! While digging the cursed ice under the hospital, something collapsed. Twice. This time there was a casualty. Ushir Ulengonul fell to her death.

At least six other dwarves got injured, one of them is Graebeard. He has multiple fractures and also a smashed lung. The hospital is not ready for this many patients. I curse the ice! I curse it to hell! By Armok's fiery beard, we must bring the magma up to get rid of this damned ice!

129 Timber 26
After working a few days in jeweler's workshop Urist created a perfect kunzite. He had encrusted it with more kunzite and named the thing after himself. It is worth 48000 dwarf bucks. Meanwhile, Graebeard has been given a sponge bath in the hospital and is now having a surgery. The hospital is full of beds, tables, patients and doctors. When the hospital was opened, all those previously injured dwarves rushed in, in addition to those who got injured in the cave-in accident.

129 Moonstone 2, early winter
Another accident! Udib Okangrigoth, medical chief fell down from the Pillar of Chiefs! I cannot understand what she was doing there, and what caused her to fall. She broke her hips, liver and a leg. I will assign Asen Megidtulon as a new chief medical dwarf. Another patient in already crowded hospital.

129 Moonstone 16
The outpost liaison made an offer to the mayor. We are going to be a barony! The mayor obviously picked one of his closest friends, Shorast Kolåblel. Our new baron is one of the miners that got injured in the recent cave-in accident.

129 Moonstone 23
A giant olm was harassing our miners down in the caverns. Monom Stigazdishmab, one of our militia captains took care of the problem with his steel axe.

129 Opal 1, mid-winter
We are close to starting the water reactor again. New magma workshops are ready, we just need to fill the cistern underneath them with magma. Meanwhile, masons are building offices above the hospital. Me and Kubuk no longer have to do our work in the dining hall. There will be slightly larger offices for baron and mayor. I know they want even bigger offices and separate dining rooms and tombs and whatever. The building can be expanded later.

129 Opal 5
Stukos Othosoddom gave birth to a girl today. The caravan left few days ago. I offered some masterwork trinkets to be given to our king. Maybe one day he'll come to visit us. I sent the military out after the caravan in case of ambushes.

129 Opal 9
The beast was started again. By that I mean the water reactor. The pump operators started the pumps manually and were instantly submerged and drawn into the cistern below. At first it looked like they were sucked into the pump intakes and would drown. They managed to escape through a maintenance door. I have ordered the doors to be locked, so no-one can enter the area.

129 Opal 12
Another baby was born, Momuz Limarasen gave birth to a girl. Our population is now 131.

129 Opal 15
Another birth. It's a boy, and the mother is Urvad Ananurvad.

The magma pump stack had a test run today.  Magma is overflowing from the top of the pump stack and runs down the staircase. Luckily no-one was burned. I think what we need is a floor hatch.

129 Opal 20
Outpost liaison and mayor had several meetings. We are now officially a barony!

129 Opal 21
The water reactor is just insane. The whole reactor room is almost completely submerger in water and the cistern below has only ankle-deep water.

129 Opal 24
Success! A floor hatch was installed in the pump stack and the power was connected again. The cistern is now
being filled with hot magma. Some of the new magma forges are already functional.

129 Obsidian 5, late winter
I went to see the patients in the hospital. Most of them seem to have infections. Graebeard had many surgeries, and he's got an infection too. The doctors told me that he needs a traction bench. I will have some installed. Furniture is also being hauled upstairs to the offices.

129 Obsidian 7
Four days ago Eshtan Ingishecem gave birth to a boy. Yesterday Nil Abanonshen had a son. Today mayor's wife Shorast Zaroslan had another son. I'm beginning to suspect that the party that was organized some time ago in the dining hall got out of control.

129 Obsidian 8
There have been sightings of a winged beast at the very bottom of the caverns. We call it En Bugcoastal the Hollow God. I hope we have sealed every hole to the caverns.

129 Obsidian 11
What the hell is going on with this baby boom, now my wife gave birth to a girl! We already had three kids! I didn't even know she was pregnant! And I sure didn't attend that dwarven spore party in the dining hall!

129 Obsidian 13
I saw Graebeard eating in the dining hall today. I'm not sure what he was doing there, he should be in the hospital. He looks really pale.

129 Obsidian 16
Degel Zondatan, one of the masons that was injured in the cave-in accident, died today. He had an infection that was just too much for him.

129 Obsidian 20
As our squads were sparring in the barracks, someone spotted a group of kobold swordsmen and a kobold bowman just outside the main gate.

The kobolds were quickly hacked to pieces over the drawbridge.

As Urist Imiknorris went after the last survivor, she spotted another squad of kobold bowmen up in the hill. The kobolds managed to fire a few arrows before they were slaughtered. Three or four kobolds escaped. Urdim Olinatek got an arrow in his lower back and a dog got wounded. Urdim is in great pain, but at least he can still walk. Meanwhile, Zaneg Lumashlikot succumbed to infection in the hospital. Another delayed cave-in casualty.

129 Obsidian 27
The year ends in tragedy. Graebeard just died in the hospital. The infection got him too. At least he died with a smile on his face. I feel that I'm directly responsible for all these recent deaths. I think I know now why they change leaders in these outposts almost every year.

As the year changes, my life here continues as a paper-shuffling manager in my small, but artistically decorated office. Leader's position is open again.

Stonesense screenshots:
129 Granite 1
130 Granite 1

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3513

Notes to future leaders:
- I was about to rebuild the dining room. Most of the old furniture was removed and is waiting to be moved to the stockpile. Somewhere in there is an artifact table. Makes the dining room legendary.
- The hospital/city hall complex needs expansion. Baron's and mayor's offices, dining rooms, quarters and tombs are currently overlapping and they are not happy about it.
- Infected patients in the hospital are dying. Soap makers to the rescue?
- Most of the metal bars and coke are still in the old magma workshop area 110 levels below surcace.
- There should be enough green glass corkscrews and tubes stocked for building the magma pump stack to the surface. Just need more magma-safe rock blocks.
- The military is using a custom uniform based on the example in wiki. I'm not sure if that's enough. They seem to wear only one shoe at a time. Anyway, they need more steel armor.
- In the kobold ambush the marksdwarves didn't fire a single bolt, they used their crossbows as hammers. I've seen them shooting bolts when training though. Fix them if you know how to do it.
- Captain of the guard's position is open. Some of the watchtowers have chains installed and can be used as a prison.
- The ice is cursed! I'd love to see everything made of ice blocks being replaced with obsidian.

Please tell me if I've written something incomprehensible - I think I've been up about 33-34 hrs.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »

That squad with important dwarves was used to give them armor, I also used it to give my dwarf steel pick, still waiting for artifact one though.
And that infection thing, I guess it's similar to that T-virus to some extent, you get a scratch, it'll get you eventually.
Looks like Graebeard got to the Pillar of Chiefs sooner than me  :P (blind luck I guess)
btw I really like those ice walls
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2010, 04:09:37 pm »

- There should be enough green glass corkscrews and tubes stocked for building the magma pump stack to the surface. Just need more magma-safe rock blocks.

There's plenty of orthoclase around.  Has the benefit of being easy to double check before starting the pumps by making sure they're all yellow.  Also, glass blocks would work too if the glass furnaces are finished making screws and pipes.

- The ice is cursed! I'd love to see everything made of ice blocks being replaced with obsidian.

Although my character despised the ice I've gotta say that my inner OCD sadist really likes all the ice walls.  If it were up to me all above ground constructions would have been ice.
At last, she is done.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2010, 08:43:32 am »

This fort looks absolutely insane. It's insanely large, insanely chaotic and insanely FPS-eating. Yes, that's right, it gave me 15 FPS :( It would be a torture to play at that speed. I guess I'll pass.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 09:09:53 am »

Hey we've got pumpstack all the way down and not-so-well designed water reactor and forgotten beast untaken care of, what were you expecting?  I have forgotten beast in another succession right now and it causes fps drop every month but then it quits trying to find a way up and fps normalizes.
Have you tried to use partial print mode?
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 12:24:48 pm »

That squad with important dwarves was used to give them armor, I also used it to give my dwarf steel pick, still waiting for artifact one though.

Oh, okay. I made some steel picks but you still seem to use a copper pick. Maybe the next ruler could recruit you again. I really wish the game would allow renaming squads so we could leave notes there.

Looks like Graebeard got to the Pillar of Chiefs sooner than me  :P (blind luck I guess)

About the Pillar of Chiefs, I opened Cagedknight's tomb and replaced inner ice walls with kimberlite, like you had in yours. I also installed a door in every tomb, I was thinking it would be fun to visit the fortress in adventure mode and check out those tombs. After that I wondered why there were always dwarves idling inside Cagedknight's tomb. Then somebody started a party in there! That's when I discovered that the statues had been marked as rooms.

Hmm, could that cause bad luck like weird accidents and infections? Like the curse of the pharaohs :P Opening up a sealed tomb and then having a party there sounds like asking for trouble. Maybe that party actually was the wild spore releasing pagan orgy party that caused the baby boom later on?

My tomb has also a coffin for Stodir, my wife. Btw, did anyone else notice that Di and Urist Imiknorris are lovers in the game? Will they share a tomb after Urist's turn? ;)

Yes, that's right, it gave me 15 FPS :( It would be a torture to play at that speed. I guess I'll pass.

Try running it a bit longer. I had mysterious lags that would last a few game days, and then it would run faster again. I thought maybe there were a lot of kobolds hiding in the tundra, but I never got ambushed when I sent the military out to search them.

But starting that insane water reactor caused a horrible fps loss. Btw, is it normal for a water reactor to push all the water upstairs? I had a lot of trouble trying to shut it down the first time, and that's why I installed the floor hatches.

Oh and I installed some levers. There's three in the dining hall and another three in the farm level near the pump stack. Check the notes with N key.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2010, 01:01:36 pm »

Man, that's too bad the reactor doesn't seem to work well.  Maybe the problem is that the reservoir is too big.  There's a lot more water in there than the standard reactor design.  We could try walling off a part of it if problems continue.
At last, she is done.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2010, 01:17:53 pm »

Well it does what it is supposed to do, creates a lot of power. Bringing magma up 50 levels or so uses only 60% of the power. It is dangerous to start manually and even with the floor hatches blocking pump intakes, it takes some time for it to stop generating power. I think it is a marvelous example of dwarven machinery :P

Can creatures die if they are sucked into pump intakes? In one of my fortresses I've seen fish corpses in pump input tiles, but I think those are classified as vermin.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »

Wait do you mean it's out of control? Brilliant! Right what we need for gigantic magma pumpstack in glacier  :D
Seriously that perpetual engine should have some drawbacks, however we can always control gears that transfer power from it.
Can creatures die if they are sucked into pump intakes? In one of my fortresses I've seen fish corpses in pump input tiles, but I think those are classified as vermin.
I don't know, I've breached aquifer several times by forcing dwarves to build walls while standing on intake tile and never encountered such problem.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »

Is it too late to sign up?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7