Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Armordeath - Succession Game  (Read 10378 times)

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armordeath - Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:40 pm »

On the other matter, save is 31.16. Should I move it to 17 or 18?

Edit: peeked in. Wow, life is harsh in Armordeath everyone's geared up for fighting.

I didn't think that .17 or .18 actually changed anything in fortress mode, but even so the saves are compatible across versions right?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 01:05:30 pm »

The latter versions can go with older saves, older versions can't go with new saves.

Edit: Also Toady did some rebalancing I guess. In 31.17 wrestlers can actually kill someone, crossbowers also can cause death by hammering with wooden weapon.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:23:43 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 02:25:49 pm »

Aimed attacks are used in fort mode. The combat AI is competent.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 02:32:53 pm »

Well, .17 offered some great fixes, like appointing baron actually working as intended. It does have some serious bugs like weapon traps causing the game to crash, thieves causing the game to crash and so on. So, I suggest we either stay on .16 or move to .18. Not sure if moving is possible, but I suppose so.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

Move to .18 if possible then, I wasn't aware that changes were implemented in fortress mode yet. I also knew that .17 was buggy and wasn't sure if .18 fixed all the bugs.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 05:22:28 pm »

Didn't know about thieves.

I wasn't aware that changes were implemented in fortress mode yet.
Then you probably shouldn't visit other boards of forum until you play world generated latest version.

Okay, I'll move to .18 eventually then. Right now .17 is only one I've got. I've already played  a little bit so here's first update.

Di's Journal

1st Granite
The scales fell from my eyes and nothing is now clouding my mind. I remember king ordering me and bunch of other dwarves to travel to remote outpost. I remember every step I made on my way to Armordeath. I remember the sight of ice tower hundred steps away and blizzard men roaming around it. But that was roughly in the middle of autumn and despite it's freezing and snowy here all the year round, I can sense the breath of spring here. I try to recall anything that happened week ago, but all I remember is some quiet whispering in the head.
I've traveled here along with quite a bunch of fine dwarves, and despite the fact I haven't got familiar with them, I don't see any of them around. After a brief inspection I've found a dozen of coffins in ice tower that also seems to be our housing here.  What kind of place king send us to?

There are only three other dwarfs here which look familiar and whose names I know, and somehow I feel they're my friends, but when did we become that close is mystery to me. However they were puzzled by my name as if they used to call me different.

Anyways, someone must take command ere blizzard men get hungry. Due to my companions being even more stunned this will be me.

2nd Granite
First thing comes in mind is why the hell workshops are scattered around right onto the ground. On the second thought however I remember that was king's order to not get underground for any reason different from getting magma.
We need to improve safety though. I'll immediately start removing the ramps at what now is declared our courtyard.

15th Granite
It seems life wasn't easy here. While I was surely attending soap making classes back in Mountainhomes, I feel like I got some talent with pick now. And this Dumat guy while competently breaking ice he told me of some tricks in trading and about current world demand for stone mugs. Dumat is quite a strange name, maybe he was born civilization different from ours with Sir Aaron and Urist Imiknorris?

20th Granite
Now we need moat and walls. Me and Dumat took care about the former, sir Aaron said the walls would be a piece of cake. I tend to believe him, being our cook, he must have learned everything about cakes.

5th Slate
While we had secured the main entrance, the construction of guard towers had created temporary hole in our defenses which was immediately exploited by aggressive wildlife. Polar bear attempted to assault our fort today. Yes, exactly assault, he wasn't wandering around how descent animal should be, he had approached the fort and charged straight to unsecured ladder and deeper in the yard. Afterwards I realized that he might have went for our booze, not for our meat but it all happened too quick. I've shouted:"To arms!". Then tossed away my pick and attacked bear, another afterthought is that former wasn't smart enough, I guess I'll assign the very pick as my weapon just in case. I've noticed that Dumat has made the same mistake, the only difference is he couldn't find it afterwards. Oh, we need someone to look after stuff here. Anyways, back on bear case we have managed to gang up onto it and bring it down without a scratch. However I believe it's Urist or Sir Aaron who saved us from our rashness.

26th Slate
Wow, time's quick here. We got reinforcements today, a lot of them now fortress counts 30 denizens. They must have became tired of journey as one of woodcutter even forgot his axe when he saw shelter. That reminded me to designate place where weapon should be stored. They all have strange names, maybe they're compatriots of Dumat? Anyways we are glad to welcome everyone who came here to help us.

27th Slate
Someone found Dumat's pick. I'll tell him good news... and to not throw usefull things anymore.
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 06:45:54 pm »

I wasn't aware that changes were implemented in fortress mode yet.
Then you probably shouldn't visit other boards of forum until you play world generated latest version.

Okay, I'll move to .18 eventually then. Right now .17 is only one I've got. I've already played  a little bit so here's first update.

I didn't switch for my fortress mode yet, simply because i didn't think it was working right yet. I did roll some adventurers in both .17 and .18 though. Good to hear you got massive amounts of migrants. And lolpolarbears.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 10:25:47 am »

Di's Journal

28th Slate
Had a closer look at the weirdly named migrants. I'm afraid I'll never be close to understanding the infinite wisdom of our king may Kulet bless him. Sagacious king has send us 3 woodcutters, four jewelers and one wood burner along with those who were trained in somewhat applicable professions. I guess we now start Diamond and Ironwood squads, Jewels and Axes in everyday.

19th Felsite
Elves came. One of our soap makers withdrew from society, I hope he'll come back when pointy eared leave.

27th Felsite
Bought wood and some wooden stuff, also some fiber and a tiger. Now about unsociable dwarf, we are about to get legendary weaponsmith or a babbling psychopath, I'd better get some donkey butchered and some metal smelted.

10th Hematite
I've decided to take a break, hope someone finally will get damned leather for weaponsmith.

14th Hematite
Interesting what will he create? I could make use of artifact iron pick.

16th Hematite
It seems that I'm the only one in the fort who actually digs. Dumat says it's not his pick and refuses to use it and the newly assigned one miner also prefers to slack off.

19th Hematite
Well artifact mace, I don't think it's suitable for digging.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Speaking of which, one of our mason walled himself off in future watchtower and none of these lazy bastards wants to carve stairs there while I'm still relaxing. Also we have run out of mined ice for walls and microline for mugs.

22nd Hematite
I've finally got to digging ice, I'm a professional now. Soon construction will resume.

26th Hematite
Our legendary weaponsmith had finally created a pick these picky loafers accepted to work with.

4th Malachite
Solved the conflict between squads, Jewels took over all battle axes leaving nothing for Axes to train with. Jewels will use fists for time being well and jewel of our weaponry Lunvumshar.

15th Malachite
Another wave of reinforcements. Finally a miner! Now 39 dwarves here.

17th Galena
Humans have came. We've got a lot of mugs for them.

21st Galena
Ambush! Surprisingly it was kobolds, for some reason they've thought that if some of them managed to steal useless crap lying around they can attempt to attack us.
We have driven them away, sadly two soldiers soldiers were seriously injured and one was killed. I should check if there's coffin for him. We should hurry up with finishing the defensive perimeter.

25th Galena
Bonecarver has shown today symptoms me and three other dwarves experienced almost year ago. That's disturbing, hope this want spread over the rest of the fortress. The unknown force in him didn't as much though, I just need to butcher another bunch of horse foals.

2nd Limestone
Had to dismiss militia as they seem to have taken kobold incident to hard.

5th Limestone
Who- or whatever had taken control of bonecrafter simply wanted to create a bone grate.
Walls are complete, however new problem arose, fortress doesn't have any water for wounded. Measures were taken.

8th Limestone
What a sissy elves are in our militia! I've fought a bear with bare hands and my unreliable memory tells me I had fought something worse during last winter and I'm up and running. These crybabies are miserable after one encounter with kobolds. I saw two of them coming out of the fort to a place of fight shivering. Another one is tantruming, he hadn't give way to his anger yet, just yelling curses around but that's at least dwarfy. Also we've encountered strange phenomena after creating the well.

10th Limestone
Finally we got around to trade with humans. We got two cows, a handful of wood and barrels as usual.

14th Autumn
Someone of these sissy-soldiers broke down our bridge, bastard. If I ever find out who did it he'd better run from here.

23rd Limestone
Well turned out to be a complete failure. It takes forever to lift bucket, and water seems to freeze on the way up. I've never seen anyone actually getting water from it, but crowd starts to gather there so I have to take measures. The well is closed.

26th Limestone
Finally reconstructed bridge. Now those sissies that stuck outside can get something to eat, and humans can go home. Solved water problem for time being. I've created access to underground lake, of course it's secured by grates. I have a strong feeling that we've missed the upper cavern but there's more important problems right now.

27th Limestone
That Dumat guy, well he turned out to be a girl. Today the first native citizen of Armordeath was born. Gotta go send congratulations.

9th Sandstone
I was wrong the other two caverns were found down there. Also we've found adamantine down there I shall mark the place for next rulers with ancient F8 rune.

10th Sandstone
We've finally found a bit of warmth in this frozen hell. We have found another pillar of the metal of gods, I shall use shift+F8 ancient rune as well.

Edit: Sorry for crappy images. Next tine I'll check them first.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 08:01:57 pm »

Di's Journal

11th Sandstone
I've noticed strange sounds on the lower levels, it turns out that we're not only settlers here. Strange toad people down there keep muttering about dirty bearded things defiling their sacred lands.
Savages! All right then, we won't bother them with our knowledge or goods from surface. But if they interfere with our adamantine extraction operations we'll bring our land onto their heads.

24th Sandstone
The king was benevolent to send us more reinforcements, however I don't have an idea of what I can do with such a crowd. Our number is now 46. I've performed ancient dwaven magic ritual which name sounds like 'dwarf therapy' and found out that recent migration waves brought us two experienced soldiers. Both of them are familiar with metalworking so the Steel squad was formed. Also this ritual yielded me knowledge that some time ago I have became as skillful at digging as ancient masters and now I can be called legendary. wow. I didn't even notice that, so where's my artifact pick?

3rd Moonstone
Every fort needs tradition, I guess we'll start one.
I called it the Pillar of the chiefs. Well basically it's pillar, with chiefs. We dwarves are gravely serious about putting our fallen brethren to rest. And more distinguished ones such as those who carry the burden of leadership deserve a resting place prepared beforehand. This is why I've started the Pillar. It's outer walls are ice just as everything else surrounding us here, the inner walls are built from stone as an amend for not placing tomb underground which was forbidden by his majesty with his not understandable wisdom. Inside one should put whatever he sees acceptable. Also one should leave stone required for sealing of tomb there, but there's no need bothering putting ice there as well as ice is what we have plenty of.

21st Moonstone
Today liaison asked me what do we need here. I said them bring us some lye this being the most difficult part of making soap, and some coal. Trade commenced but there's not much to talk about.

8th Opal
That inner devils epidemic continues, today spirits have claimed butcher and I don't even know what workshop they want.

15th Opal
By building every possible workshop I've managed to please spirits that have taken a hostage. Now lets see their what they'll demand.... Huh? This time they were satisfied with a single piece of leather. I guess they'll create something crappy.

20th Opal
Enslaved butcher has fulfilled spirit's demands and now can resume hauling. Just as I thought, he didn't create anything that could be used for digging.

26th Opal
Another dwarf has become a mommy. Now we got two infants.

2nd Obsidian
Another one child now out of Jewells captain. Hope she'll get trained enough to protect the child. She's carrying Cloudyglomy after all.
That's not all events for today.
Giant fire-breathing leech was spotted in caverns today.
It's in the third cavern not far from zealous frogs. Hypothetically we could try and protect them from it. But that would be trespassing their sacred grounds.

16th Obsidian
Forges were finally established. However we'll have to lock miners there to prevent other dwarves from stealing food from theirs stockpiles. I'll use hatch one level above. Food will be supplied via chute. To collect their production dump it into a hole 2 levels above.

1st Granite
It's been year since I've barked out command for the first time, so it's time for me to step back from leadership. Single dwarf cannot rule the fortress longer than year without fear of bringing on the wrath of the gods. There are exceptions to this rule such as self proclaimed dwarven empress or dedicated captain but those were favorites of gods and that's definitely not my case. I guess I'll handle the power to Graebeard he seems capable pal.

P.S. Actually I didn't have a time to lock forges down so it's up to next leader. Also I've left a bunch of notes, to help to understand what's going on. Also I actually never get around to equip military.
WARNING
Excluding leader, crystalline something squad soldiers do not have any weapon assigned to them.

Oh, and food in forge burrow is still forbidden.

Save here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3470
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:21:22 pm by Di »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 09:20:16 pm »

Alright!  Let's see if I can't get some of Armok's blood up to this frozen barren wasteland!
At last, she is done.

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 10:08:18 pm »

Nice, the fort looks really good Di. Good luck to you Graebeard

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »

Diary of Graebeard I, The Frigid

Granite 1: It is cold.  It is cold, and dry.  Also it is lonely.  There are 52 of us, but that does not change the fact that we are outcasts.  Where there is not snow there is ice.  Where there is not ice there are blizzard men, polar bears, and ice wolves.  This is not home.  Not yet.

Deep underneath this Armok-forsaken glacier is warmth.  The miners tell me that the great beat of Armok's blood pulses a mere 110 floors beneath  my feet.

Our "wise" lord Moldath mandates that we live above the ground, directly exposed to the cruel sky.  My only consolation is that the Furnace is dimmer than it was in the land above my home, less harmful to my eyes and stomach.  That, and the promise of warmth beneath my feet.

It is down there.  Waiting for us.  We are coming.  777777777777777777777777777777777777...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:05:31 pm by Graebeard »
At last, she is done.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:55 am »

Magma in a fort that stands on ice  :o , the results should be interesting. At least try not to flood our stockpiles that are partially under the outside of walls   ;)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 11:38:13 am »

About those amphibian people...
Use the power of MAGMA
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »

A "mere" 110 floors? It's going to take ages to get the power necessary to flood anything with that... That makes it all the more dwarven then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7