Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about text files  (Read 345 times)

gSamp108

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about text files
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:34:54 pm »

I've been tring to condense my common mods into one place so I can easily move to a newer version of the game without having to edit a bunch of files possibly messing something up in the process.

Is there a way to get DF to read text files with names other than the ones that come with the game?
Such as putting my custom reactions into a file called reaction_mod.txt. 

So far all of my attempts at this have appeared to fail. 
Is there some kind of tag I need to add to the file for it to be read.
I have the [OBJECT:REACTION] tag at the top of the new file.

I also know these reactions work, I have used the same ones in the regular files just looking for a way to keep things more clean and organized.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about text files
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:38:08 pm »

Have you tried regenning the world? Each region has a cached copy of raws to prevent save issues. (regionX/raw)

gSamp108

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:45:17 pm »

Yes, on each of my tests I deleted the save folder of the last region I made and created a new world.  I have both new buildings and reactions for them.  The buildings and reactions are permitted in the entry_default file.  If I add the reactions to the reaction_other and buildings to building_custom files it works perfectly fine.  I was just hoping there was a way to organize it better.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:53:36 pm »

You need seperate files for each type of thing, like reactions, buildings, creatures, etc., if you don't have those already.

Also, both the filename and the first line of the file are important, and must match. If you look, you'll see that the first line of the file reaction_other.txt says reaction_other. This is needed for the game for whatever reason; a file lacking this first line won't be read.

Finally, as you appear to have noticed, you need an OBJECT tag line at the top.

The problem with your reaction_mod.txt file is probably that you're neglecting to make the first line say reaction_mod. Try fixing that. It is most certainly possible to have raw files with nonstandard names, you just have to properly know how to tell the game to use them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

gSamp108

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:35:47 pm »

That seems to have been the problem. I had not payed much notice that all the other files had there own name at the top of the file, just thought it was a comment.  Thanks for the help.