Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Jabberwacky chatbot has firm views about Dwarf Fortress  (Read 11884 times)

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
Re: Jabberwacky chatbot has firm views about Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2010, 08:35:13 pm »

I think we might be making breakthroughs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »

JW meets Urist...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a blank sig.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2010, 10:11:40 am »

it can also pick up character names, places and other stuff like "the one ring" and ask if your talking about lord of the rings. i wonder how much of that was preprogrammed in, and how much of it has been learnt...
The learning mechanism was programmed, but the things it says have been learned from other people. Basically it does a search through its database to try and find a relevant response from the things other people have previously said to it in similar situations. I think that Cleverbot uses a more sophisticated algorithm, based on its name, the fact that it was released later, and the info I managed to find about it.

Ive been asking it questions about Dwarf Fortress and correcting its answers. Hopefully this would be faster than just asking it the same thing a hundred times.
Yes, it's probably is much faster, and will probably lead to more coherent responses. Spamming it with "Dwarf Fortress" will mostly cause it to occasionally spam someone else with that same phrase, which won't be very productive since most people won't know about DF and won't be able to contribute good responses.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2010, 02:54:10 pm »

I'm always impressed when a chatbot shows human-like ability to recognize its mistakes like this:

Cleverbot: Have you been to Los Angeles.
User: That should have been ended with a question mark, as it is in an interrogative form.
Cleverbot: My apologies for the lack of a question mark. What movies do you enjoy watching, then?

It didn't persist with the topic, but it did apologize. It even reworded the question mark part from "ended with a question mark" to "lack of a question mark", which shows (to me, at least) that it recognizes the phrase as a whole.

EDIT: And then of course, it can just amuse people. Cleverbot is apparently easily hurt.

Cleverbot: So you think I might be a robot, eh?
Cleverbot (To myself): Yes. But you have an attitude.
Cleverbot (To myself): Yes I do, but you have a more persnickety attitude.
[long pause]
Cleverbot (To myself): Well you are a meany.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:56:40 pm by Vertigon »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »

This is what I said:

User: Dwarf Fortress is good.

JW: I will find you and eat your first born child.

I'm guessing it doesn't really like Dwarf Fortress

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:29 pm »

It even reworded the question mark part from "ended with a question mark" to "lack of a question mark", which shows (to me, at least) that it recognizes the phrase as a whole.
It can say pretty clever (heh) things now and then, but they are all things that others have said to it in similar situations. The randomness of its conversation is because its pattern matching doesn't really perform any complicated analysis of the previous response or the conversation as a whole. Imagine a monkey in a box that hands out responses by recognizing the pattern of letters in the sentences you hand to it on sheets of paper. It doesn't actually understand the language or meaning, but once it has "talked" to enough people, it has many or these "fortune cookie" responses and does a decent job of handing out appropriate ones for the situation. That is basically what Jabberwacky and Cleverbot do, although they each do it slightly differently. I don't think any rewording is actually done by the computer, but sometimes the "best response" that it finds in its database does contain a reworded version of the user's input.

It would be neat to be able to see the original conversation that the response it gives you came from. There might be privacy issues with that, though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]