Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.18 Released  (Read 73933 times)

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.18 Released
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2010, 10:02:49 pm »

Hmm, just got a segfault in .18 with no warning.  Fortress mode, Linux, 79 dwarves running around doing their thing, no idea what might have caused it. :(  (Saved game copied from .16.)

Also, apparently I forgot to do ulimit -c unlimited on this box, so no core file. >:(

Last thing in gamelog.txt is

Code: [Select]
A snow storm has come.
And I don't recall seeing that announcement in-game before the crash, though it's possible.

You mean your dwarves were all suddenly killed by... SnowCrash?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2010, 10:56:46 pm »

And I have seen, once or twice, my axe strikes showing 'easier strike' while my shield bash et al show 'normal strike'. It doesn't show up often. I'll screenshot it next time.
You're probably referring to the combat opportunities.
No, I'm not.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2010, 05:41:04 am »

*Clears throat*
I recently purchased a massive beast of a computer.

Running a Quad core 3.4 GHz processor, will it be enough to play with a Major River on a 5x5 embark area? Will my fortress go into snail-speed FPS when I get up to 50 dwarves?

What about without the Major River. Will my fort's FPS decline when I get 100-200 ?
I'd like if someone could post some guildelines of the optimal embark area I can settle in to match my processor without the risk of FPSSlow
(If it matters, I've got two sticks of 4GB RAM. So 4GBx2)
(Oh, and another question would be if Dwarf Fortress uses a single core or multiple.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:07:12 am by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:53 am »

Just one.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2010, 08:07:49 am »

I managed to segfault 31.18. It was in adventure mode, making an aimed attack at a grizzly bear that was engaged with my other companions. Crashed before I could see the first aimed attack menu. It was also the first time I've seen the enemy be in some other slot than the a-button slot for choosing an aimed attack target. Nothing much special in the log files to shed light on this.

Running a Quad core 3.4 GHz processor, will it be enough to play with a Major River on a 5x5 embark area? Will my fortress go into snail-speed FPS when I get up to 50 dwarves?

(Oh, and another question would be if Dwarf Fortress uses a single core or multiple.)

That depends on how much stone you want to leave littered around. My comp is a lot lazier than that, and it runs 50 dorfs fine on 4x4 embarks with features. DF itself is single core, but I've understood the renderer is on another thread.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:09:23 am by huhu »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:32 am »

And I have seen, once or twice, my axe strikes showing 'easier strike' while my shield bash et al show 'normal strike'. It doesn't show up often. I'll screenshot it next time.
No, I'm not.
It's probably a relative description: when it says 'easier strike' on every choice of attack that doesn't mean "all attack possibilities on this area have the same chance of succeeding". Instead, it's probably "compared to punching a normal strike, hitting this area will be easier with a punch" and separately "compared to slashing on a normal strike, hitting this area will be easier with a slash".

It's just like how the "this dwarf is Strong and Agile" means "relative to the average dwarf, this dwarf is strong and agile". If you then read "this bronze colossus is Strong" that doesn't mean the dwarf and the colossus are equal in strength. It means the colossus is strong compared to the average colossus so therefore will be ridiculously powerful compared to the dwarf.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2010, 09:25:30 am »

You mean your dwarves were all suddenly killed by... SnowCrash?

I suspected that electing Urist Enzo mayor might be a bad idea.  But hey, at least the cheese roasts always arrived on time.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2010, 09:31:19 am »

No, I'm not.
It's probably a relative description: when it says 'easier strike' on every choice of attack that doesn't mean "all attack possibilities on this area have the same chance of succeeding". Instead, it's probably "compared to punching a normal strike, hitting this area will be easier with a punch" and separately "compared to slashing on a normal strike, hitting this area will be easier with a slash".
Did you even read my post? It said easier strike on the 'hack' attack for the axe, not all of the choices. Next time I see this I'll screenshot it.

Eurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »

Is the weird part supposed to be that it says easier strike(instead of simple strike which is all I've seen there), or that it's only on one attack type? Because one attack type being easier sometimes is just "random combat opportunities" toady even posted a screenshot of it when he said he added aimed attacks.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2010, 12:48:51 pm »

*Clears throat*
I recently purchased a massive beast of a computer.

What about without the Major River. Will my fort's FPS decline when I get 100-200 ?
I'd like if someone could post some guildelines of the optimal embark area I can settle in to match my processor without the risk of FPSSlow
(If it matters, I've got two sticks of 4GB RAM. So 4GBx2)

Easiest questions first; DF is mostly single threaded. The SLD stuff, is partially on another thread, so DF, from my understanding, receives little boost from multi core machine. It however, does allow one core to do only DF. There is some debate if setting DF affinity to one core does boost performance, from what I can tell, the debate seems to be leaning towards setting the core affinity to one core.

DF, I believe can take at most four gigs of ram.
---
As for optimal embark site; there isn't any universal answer. There are numerous things which will degrade FPS. A major river could, depending how much of the map it takes up. Then there how many embark tiles your embark size. Then there how many entities DF has to track. (Such as animals, invaders, and dorfs.) How many items there are to track. How many revealed tiles there are. If you use doors. If the dorfs (or any entities) have to path find over multiple Z levels. I'm sure I'm missing couple dozen other things.

In the end, you're going to have to just embark a bunch of time and find what site size, and how much crap you can have on it before it becomes unbearable.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2010, 12:48:58 pm »

It runs as one single thread, and the OS (or CPU) load-balances its time-slices across all cores. So each core at 25% DF, unless command "this process can run only on CPUs 0 and 1" etc.

DF .31.12 on a quadcore, 4 x 2.4 GHz:
"40-44 fps, 4x4 embark, 79 citizens, 35+76 animals, 3 cavern layers (all and magma sea opened). 1,6 M wealth. 4700 stones. smoke from coke in magma channel."
"71 fps, 2x2 embark, 11 citizens, 5+35 animals, 3 cavern layers (1 opened). 1,52M wealth. 1260 stones. volcano. blood everywhere"
See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:System_requirements/Archived_reports

I recommend playing a 3x2 embark, and going larger if you get bored of 150 fps, or with higher population, 70 fps.

One fort mode season (100800 ticks) is: 67 minutes at 25 fps, 34 minutes at 50 fps, 17 minutes at 100 fps.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:53:53 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »

It said easier strike on the 'hack' attack for the axe, not all of the choices. Next time I see this I'll screenshot it.
Is the weird part supposed to be that it says easier strike(instead of simple strike which is all I've seen there), or that it's only on one attack type? Because one attack type being easier sometimes is just "random combat opportunities" toady even posted a screenshot of it when he said he added aimed attacks.
Yeah, an easier shot with one type of weapon attack / one type of unarmed strike is a combat opportunity. Go back to the previous page and you'll see the little ! sign for it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2010, 04:54:40 pm »

It said easier strike on the 'hack' attack for the axe, not all of the choices. Next time I see this I'll screenshot it.
Yeah, an easier shot with one type of weapon attack / one type of unarmed strike is a combat opportunity. Go back to the previous page and you'll see the little ! sign for it.
Yes, except it wasn't a combat opportunity. I swear I'm not hallucinating. -crazed look- I KNOW WHAT AH SAW!

More seriously, I am 95% sure it wasn't a combat opportunity.

anallyst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github repos
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2010, 05:13:25 pm »

from the bugtracker: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3267
my fort, 6 embark tiles, 3 caverns, 130 dwarfes, 330 pets, used to run on only 8 FPS on a 3.5 ghz core i7, when i tried to get rid of blood carried around by dwarfes and pets by using the dfliquids and dfcleanmap tools. after placing some water around important routes and running the cleanmap utility in a loop, performance went up to _33 FPS_. thats more than 4 times as fast... this truely shows that the algorithms for the blood and dirt splattering are very inefficient, to say the least.
the switch in the config file ("do not move splatters around") seems to be completely failing, it was enabled all the time, but did not prevent up to 100 different blood splatters on the single beings.
note that embark sizes have changed in .17, they're way smaller now, so 5x5 should be pretty fast in the beginning, but the more blood gets splattered, the slower the game will get over time
how to be first one to get mayday tileset after toady released a new version: https://github.com/rofl0r/df-mayday

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2010, 06:27:46 pm »

Anyone else noticed that goblins who arrive with humans or captured dwarves in an ambush at the edge of the map begin to fight with said slaves?

And boy, am I glad the game does not crash after an ambush anymore.

Do the game use less energy keeping track of items if they are in a container versus just being on the floor?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12