Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.18 Released  (Read 73920 times)

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.18 Released
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2010, 03:24:18 am »

There isn't currently a way to give equipment to your followers, is there?  Is that planned for the future?
I would prefer a "go loot, boys!" command which would make all followers loot the bodies as they like. Would look more like an evil overlord than micromanaging the equipment of twenty followers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 03:26:38 am »

There isn't currently a way to give equipment to your followers, is there?  Is that planned for the future?
I would prefer a "go loot, boys!" command which would make all followers loot the bodies as they like. Would look more like an evil overlord than micromanaging the equipment of twenty followers.
Fuck yes, the last thing I want to do is worry about what the random peasant following me around is wearing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 05:13:06 am »

Umm... Is it possible to copy a region save over to the new version, mid-adventure?
Or would I have to retire first, then resume in the new version?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2010, 07:45:51 am »

this all sounds great just wish i could get it to work im running a macbook os 10.4.11 any news on when it should be working again? still keep up the good work toady sounds fantastic. :)

No, DF will probably be Mac Intel only from now on.
I have an iMac with 10.4 as well, so I feel your pain.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:37 am »

this all sounds great just wish i could get it to work im running a macbook os 10.4.11 any news on when it should be working again? still keep up the good work toady sounds fantastic. :)

well..don't buy a mac if you want to play games?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:26 am »

well..don't buy a mac if you want to play games?
duh

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 11:36:35 am »

Another weekend plan ruined! ;)
Thanks again Toady!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:17 am »

Curtail the Mac vs. PC boasting, please.

Umm... Is it possible to copy a region save over to the new version, mid-adventure?
Or would I have to retire first, then resume in the new version?

You can copy it over as long as the DF program isn't currently running.

Quote from: FuzzyDoom
Will there be a way to give items to our companions? And perhaps an easier way to equip weapons? (Just had to wiki it.)

We have to get to companion equipment sooner than later, since it can be very frustrating to either lose a weapon or just have lots of excess armor that shouldn't be excess.  It isn't in for 0.31.17 though.

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2010, 01:03:31 pm »

I'm very excited about this caravan arc.  I have a couple questions about what's likely to be included:

Will we see a redesign of quantities soon, i.e. a single log no longer makes one bed or one earring?

Once our fortress gets large enough will we start getting local market days from our own site's surrounding population, between the major caravans?

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 01:35:47 pm »

It's not just a PowerPC/Intel problem; I have an Intel Mac running OSX 10.4.11 and it still won't work.

MightyJAK

• Bay Watcher
  • MightyJAK makes his own gravy.
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress DONE countdown
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 03:24:02 pm »

Fuck yes, the last thing I want to do is worry about what the random peasant following me around is wearing.
Or wondering how many bolts my crossbowman follower has left before he goes from being a helpful ranged attacker to a stupid meat-shield.
Quote from: Toady One
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
Quote from: Demon
But when will the game be done!?
Eight years.
So Dwarf Fortress will be done on Friday, September 14, 2012.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2010, 04:23:17 pm »

Hell, in my most recent D&D game I generated a world in DF and copied parts of the map and history for background in a new area. Talk about versatility.

Heh. I manually exported a fortress to D&D. I spent a lot of time going over each and every individual engraving in the dining hall. Also, the traps.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can play as a merchant, delivering food from town to city, and goods from city to town. I wonder how long before everyone notices that the food cart going in looks a lot like the night soil cart going out.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »

I've been enjoying the crap out of 31.17 and 31.18.  It's amazing how much more dynamic the combat feels with the new targeting/opportunities, and the world feels so much more alive.  It's really cool to see Adv. Mode beginning to live up to its potential. 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 04:27:50 pm »

Hmm, just got a segfault in .18 with no warning.  Fortress mode, Linux, 79 dwarves running around doing their thing, no idea what might have caused it. :(  (Saved game copied from .16.)

Also, apparently I forgot to do ulimit -c unlimited on this box, so no core file. >:(

Last thing in gamelog.txt is

Code: [Select]
A snow storm has come.
And I don't recall seeing that announcement in-game before the crash, though it's possible.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:30:49 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:51 pm »

And I have seen, once or twice, my axe strikes showing 'easier strike' while my shield bash et al show 'normal strike'. It doesn't show up often. I'll screenshot it next time.

You're probably referring to the combat opportunities. I know I have never seen a strike at a particular location differ depending on the attack you actually use, unless that attack was a combat opportunity. That said, my skills have never exceeded 11 or 12 (however much I usually dump into it, fighter, and the remainder in dodge/armor/shield use), so maybe it shows up at even higher skill levels.

I tend to agree that weapon skill, and possibly even weapon attributes, should have an effect on what you can expect from a strike. Just because you can hit the target's head with your sword blade, doesn't mean it's necessarily in reach to punch or kick, let alone bite - or that you should be able to shake around a human opponent, as a human, by the upper body after latching on with your upper right tooth!

Not sure if this is necessarily the place for it, but I had some suggestions about the targeting interface. Chiefly, I'd like to see the opportunity indicator either moved or mirrored to the left side, closer to the keystroke option for selecting that slot. With it on the far side of the window, I find it difficult to see at a glance exactly which component has an open opportunity. I'd also like to see either an indicator when choosing your target that an opportunity is available (simply a ! next to the target in the list will suffice there), or perhaps an announcement that an opportunity is available ("The goblin pikeman stabs you in the left upper leg, but has exposed himself to an opportune strike!"), but those are minor and possibly unnecessary if adventurers are expected to frequently or or always make use of the new targeting system, at least against dangerous targets.

I'd also say that certain combat events should almost guarantee target opportunities, such as when a target falls over (either knocked over, or lost balance due to losing a foot/leg), is stunned, or vomits. However, that's a matter of balance and combat is already pretty easy right now - especially if you have followers who you use as cannon fodder to distract dangerous targets.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12