Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why so much bronze?  (Read 2880 times)

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
Why so much bronze?
« on: November 16, 2010, 06:04:14 am »

I've noticed that all of the armor and weapons sold in shops or carried by bandits is always bronze, which is a little disappointing to me. It makes shopping and equipment less interesting, for me, since it's all the same.

Is defaulting to bronze like this a placeholder until Toady gets shops updated/reworked (probably during the coming caravan changes)?

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why so much bronze?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:06:17 am »

Humans are a bronze-age civilization. Goblins and dwarves have more advanced metallurgy - if you give them ordinary settlements, they'll sell dwarf-n-goblin sized iron and steel armor and weapons.

PS: The reason gobbo bandits use bronze stuff is because they use a bandit civ, not the goblin one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:10:25 am by NinjaE8825 »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:04:09 am »

Any sensible soldier will want their weapons made of the best material available. Bronze is what humans have as their best weapon metal, so that's what they mass produce and sell. Bandits however, are known to carry all sorts of metal in their weapons. Even more if you mod your raws and then generate a world.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 07:48:36 am »

fight Kobolds thay are the easy way to get steel weapons.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:51:53 am »

Yea, small clothing is totally useful for a human adventurer.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:56:57 am »

Funk said 'weapons' not 'armor', read before you speak sarcasticly, thank you.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:38:25 am »

just mod the raws, it's not that hard.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 12:27:36 pm »

Just started up a world in the new version and it seems there is much more variety in materials for weapons + armour. I have a bronze sword but only a copper shield. Both the soldiers I recruited have silver weapons, iron shields and horse leather armour; thus making the quest to kill bandits I recieved near impossible (unless they also have reduced quality goods?)

EDIT: They do both have bronze helms though, so decapitiation presumably won't be any easier.

EDIT 2: Just been to the bandit camp, besides one person who had a bronze shield (which is now mine :)) The bandits didn't seem to have any armour besides some leather mittens and silver/copper weapons, the rest being fibre clothes, meaning they are much easier to kill. I assume this may be to make ambushes less of a pain?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:48:51 pm by killran »

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:12:37 pm »

I knew shit just got real when I got shot with a silver arrow.

I picked up a steel shield but no weapons I wanted.

The way I see if you need to go for it in life and use your size to your advantage.

For example I'm wielding a great axes, lets see a dwarf do that.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 01:52:23 pm »

I knew shit just got real when I got shot with a silver arrow.
Due to my modding, I once was getting shot by lead, gold and platinum arrows. By kobold ambushers...
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 07:39:42 pm »

Any sensible soldier will want their weapons made of the best material available. Bronze is what humans have as their best weapon metal, so that's what they mass produce and sell.
But not everything will necessarily be bronze. If we were talking about the standard issue that a kingdom supplies to its military, then I would agree with what you're saying, but we're talking about an adventurer buying from shops in the towns s/he comes across during travels. Copper or iron weapons might be sold because they are cheaper. Bronze being the standard is fine by me, but I'm wondering why everything is exclusively bronze (except for kobold/ gobbo stuff) when it wasn't like that in previous versions; at least, it wasn't in the ones that I adventured in.
Bandits however, are known to carry all sorts of metal in their weapons. Even more if you mod your raws and then generate a world.
Not bandits, they all carry bronze for me, but I've seen steel, copper, and iron on kobolds, and from what I hear, goblins use them too.

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with ending up with a ☼copper spear☼. It makes things more interesting, because then getting adequate equipment becomes a part of strategy as well. "Should I risk trying to snatch that spearman's high-quality iron spear from him right away, or should I let my companions take care of him while I fight someone less dangerous?"

Just started up a world in the new version and it seems there is much more variety in materials for weapons + armour.
That's good to hear. Then maybe the all-bronze stuff was a placeholder. I'll have to update.

EDIT:
Hey, Toady? What does this mean:

Quote from: ToadyOne
(*)changed metal use for humans/gobs/kobs via existing raw tags
There's a little more detail in file changes.txt.  Humans have smelted ore and mined stone now, so they have copper, iron, silver, etc. and similarly for the others.  It had been randomly choosing metals for kobold weapons in particular, which was okay in the sense that it mimicked thievery perhaps, but we want to move over to something more genuine before too long, so the kobs are on placeholder smelting for the time being.
From the thread announcing DF version 31.18. I wonder if this means that steel will show up in stores now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:57:14 pm by Sylverone »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:10:07 pm »

Whoa -- I'm being quoted cross-forum now?

Steel won't show up in shops yet, 'cause only Humans have shops currently, and humans don't have steel.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:28 am »

I've seen a number of steel weapons on bandits.  I could be wrong, but it seems that dwarf bandits, or bandits with a dwarf leader are more likely to have steel.  Possibly because they are more likely to have killed dwarves before/after they become a bandit.  THe problem is, these little buggers are tough!

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 12:42:32 am »

I've seen copper, bronze, and iron in human shops in 31.18.

Barrett Brown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 02:44:48 am »

Yeah, I just bought copper chain leggings on my first shopping trip in .18. I paid extra for nifty decorations, too. Nifty decorations that exist only in text form...
Pages: [1] 2