Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dominions 3 Opinion's...and more please  (Read 2204 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Dominions 3 Opinion's...and more please
« on: November 16, 2010, 03:36:26 am »

played Dominions 3 after seeing a passing glance at it and it seems really good, but i cant make my mind up i have played the demo and its a 4X mostly focusing on the war and magic, and its a bit complex and quite deep but cant do much outside to do with how your city's run.

also anyone know another games like this? i like the sort of games where you can change the game world with one spell when your that powerful i do have elemental war of magic butt.. its still being fixed ¬¬ soo more please of these types of game :) please and thank you :)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 Opinion's...and more please
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:31:47 am »

Master of Magic is one.  There's not really that much as complex as Dominions, but Dominions isn't much fun unless you play it online.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:28 am »

Between Dominions and MoM....you've gotten about the best out of the genre there is. Dominions was fun and deep but played too much like Risk for my taste. MoM still probably has the best balance of 4x, TBS and magic mechanics. If Dominions and MoM had a baby together, I'd be pretty happy.

Elemental is still a long ways off from being a competitor to either in terms of depth.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:50:05 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Elven_ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/chabrik/
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:11:56 pm »

Age of Wonders, obviously. You can get all three parts on GOG pretty cheap.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:56:36 pm »

Eh. I found the Age of....games to be pretty generic RTS offerings. They're thematic, but they aren't all that deep.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:15:59 pm »

Eh. I found the Age of....games to be pretty generic RTS offerings. They're thematic, but they aren't all that deep.
Age of Wonders is a TBS, though.

Wouldn't say it's as complex as Dominions 3 (or even near that), though. It's more of a Heroes of Might & Magic like game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:18:54 pm by Virtz »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:01:36 am »

They're different. Whether one is more complex than the other depends on what you're centering yourself on.  Dominions province management, for example, is as simplistic as they come (build fortress, build lab, build temple + PD) when compared to MoM and/or Age of Wonders' city management.

Also: consider checking Ley Lines, which is a free remake of the old Master of Magic. (there are some differences, though. Combat is very simplified, and there are less spells, schools of magic, and character traits)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:03 am »

Depends on what you're talking about.  Age of Empires and Age of Mythology are both RTS games made by Microsoft studios.  Age of Wonders was made by Triumph, then a little backwater group of developers in the Netherlands.

Age of Wonders II/Shadow Magic were also supposedly made by the new Triumph, which has changed quite a bit since old Triumph.  You know, these are the guys who did Overlord (and, unfortunately, Overlord 2).

There are a number of 'Age of...' games out there.  It's a popular naming scheme.  And yes, Age of Wonders takes quite a few pages from Master of Magic.  To the point where you could almost call Shadow Magic the sequel to MoM, rather than AoW.

Also, as far as Dominions 3 goes...  I found it to be incredibly refreshing, remarkably detailed, very interesting, and entirely out of my gaming league.  I simply cannot effectively play that game.  However, I can have quite a bit of fun with it.  Even just the demo.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 12:20:51 pm »

Dom 3 appears to have a ton of depth, especially if you're the kind of player who likes to compare unit stats and such. But in terms of how it actually plays, it's not that complicated. I think after 4 or 5 hours, I had it down. But I was playing on the Super Large map, and it quickly burned me out.

Don't get wrong, it's more complex than most 4x games. But it's not at DF levels of complexity. I was prepared to spend several days learning the game based on what people had said, but it didn't take nearly that long.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »

Yeah, it appears to mostly be "figure out what unit you can recruit en masse doesn't suck, then spam as many of them as you can". Still a fun game in small doses though.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:15:58 pm »

There are a number of 'Age of...' games out there.  It's a popular naming scheme.  And yes, Age of Wonders takes quite a few pages from Master of Magic.  To the point where you could almost call Shadow Magic the sequel to MoM, rather than AoW.
indeed
Yeah, it appears to mostly be "figure out what unit you can recruit en masse doesn't suck, then spam as many of them as you can". Still a fun game in small doses though.
"Zen and the art of Supercombatants", rather. But yeah, that's the issue. It has many interesting bits, but it's not really all that deep (far deeper than CoE, though). Not really single player frienly, either, due to poor AI, but it's fun to fool around, even if you're basically sandboxing an empire with CPU computer players that are just functional enough to maintain suspension of disbelief but not enough to present any serious challenge.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 06:24:11 pm »

I wouldn't really count Dominions 3 as a 4X game, really.

It's much more a turn-based strategy game.

And, oh god, Late-Age Ermor is so much fun. I wish there was a real-time version of Dominions 3.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »

I really hate to be "that guy", but...

"Opinion's" is making me cringe.  Apostrophe doesn't go there!  D:
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »

This game would be 10 times better if it had a decent UI. How hard is it to implement Rally points, repeat quees, queeing movement orders, auto search for magic sites, and some other stuff. Currently 90% of a turn exists of telling your units exactly the same thing as last turn, for LE Ermor this is almost 99%.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:05 pm »

Its a good and fun game, but it needs more gameplay depth. Most of the times superior numbers will win the fights for you, unless you use super tier units combined with neat god powers and blessings. The spell system is really interesting, but the battles themselves are sorta meh. Plus it gets annoying in the endgame when you have to micromanage several bases and armies at the same time making turns take a while, which makes multiplayer less dynamic and more annoying.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: [1] 2