Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water traps: pushing enemies with water. will this work?  (Read 2166 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water traps: pushing enemies with water. will this work?
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:07:21 pm »

I'm considering the design of my fortress entrance.  My plan is to have a downward tunnel from the surface (3 wide) at a 45 degree angle, using channels/ramps.  Or I could build it at a 30 degree angle, alternating downward ramps with a single horizontal tile. I want to build a cistern and use pumps to pump water into the top of the tunnel.  My hope is that enemies will be washed down the ramp.  at the bottom of the tunnel ramp would be drainage, and a pit.  I don't need this to be 100% effective at capturing entire sieges, and it can always be converted to a drowning chamber, but I do hope that the water coming down will prevent enemies from climbing up the path, and ideally knock them into the pit.  I'm aware that you need water below 7/7 for it to flow and push enemies.

_____surface___________________
\  \       ------------------
 \   \    |       cistern       |           Pp=pump
   \   <Pp                       |
     \   \ ------------------
       \   \_______________________
         \___    _____traps_____ to fortress->
              |  |
              |  |<- retractable hatch can be closed to stop drainage, start drowning.
            |grate|    archer target practice room
              |  |
              |  |
            spikes/drainage

second idea, I think this would be much more efficient.

2 wide path in horseshoe shape.  Inside is a cistern.  On the outside of the path is a drop off or pit.  The cistern is blocked first by a wall of floodgates, and then fortifications.  Enemies crowd around the path, floodgates go up, gravity-pressurized water flows out through the fortifications and onto the path, washing enemies into the pit on the outside.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Water traps: pushing enemies with water. will this work?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »

It looks like it should work. Try it and report back.

The water flow should be more than sufficient to prevent enemies from climbing back up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:20:06 pm »

Yup.  You don't even need to run it downhill :D

Code: [Select]
top-down

_______|  |
|      |  |__
|      X   ..|
|      X   ..|
|  c   X   ..|
|      X   ..|
|      X   __|
|______|  |
       |pp|

entrance

c = cistern, pref. several Z's high with bottom level with entrance coridoor
X = floodgates
. = deep pit
pp = pressure plates linked to floodgates

Fill the cistern to the brim, link up the pressure plates, make a pump stack or something to drain the pit :).

You can just let the intruders drown, or pump out the water at the bottom as it enters, or create a separate drain cistern separated with grates from the pit. 
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »

I know the pump outputs enough pressure to kill a cat on impact with a retaining wall.

Now I wonder if it's possible to do that to fully armored adult goblins. How much pressure would it take to completely shatter them to component bits?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:25:27 pm »

About 15 z-levels of free-fall.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »

You can also use water to push things off a ledge. On one side of the walkway have a row of pumps (behind fortifications to protect from building destroyers) and on the other side have a pit. You'll want a cistern feeding the wall of pumps and some way to drain the pit, but the flow of water will push everything off into the pit, where it will either explode upon impact or drown.

Disadvantages:
It works on caravans and migrants.

Advantages:
It works on caravans and migrants.
Kobolds and ambushes are not immune.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »

Could this be done with horizontal pressure? Does surplus power of the stack make a difference in pressure, and if so, would it be enough to shoot them like a projectile against a wall?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:40:18 pm »

I know the pump outputs enough pressure to kill a cat on impact with a retaining wall.

please elaborate
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

If I let the water blast at the top of my pump stack, it'll spray out like a shotgun, so I added a wall at that z-level so gravity will bring it down. A cat crept in after I finished some repairs, so I tested it with the cat inside. The water hit the cat, the cat hit the wall, died on impact.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:01:21 pm »

edit: accidental double post.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:49:30 am by slothen »
Thoughts on water

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:15 pm »

i want to try this because if i put the water at one end of the corridor and a pit at the other, i'm concerned the pumps will pump too fast, and one end will be filled with 7/7 water and drowning goblins before the leading wave of the water even gets to the pit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:49:47 am by slothen »
Thoughts on water

thehippopotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:56 pm »

I like the looks of this, I've been considering doing a similar trap for a while and look forward to some positive results... now if only I can get off my ass and try one... I just keep getting sidetracked by OCD residential quarter design.
*In reasons you love DF thread*
57. You ask people for tasks and are disappointed when they don't tell you to kill a Winged Iron Giant Lobster that lives in a makeshift shrine.

Quote from Girlinhat:
"Dwarf up.  Don your leather armor and wooden axe, and go slaughter 10,000 zombie bull sharks.  Your beard has lost its luster in these years of plenty."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fill the cistern to the brim, link up the pressure plates, make a pump stack or something to drain the pit :).

You can just let the intruders drown, or pump out the water at the bottom as it enters, or create a separate drain cistern separated with grates from the pit.

2 things, there's a delay on floodgates, and pressure plates will send an off signal as soon as something steps on them.   Do you often get problems with this?  I would think that if an ambush walks through this trap the floodgates would end up out of sync with the pressure plates.  Does this require a backup manual "close" lever?
Thoughts on water

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:13:40 am »

Ah the old high pressure shooter topic. Back in the 40d days we had a ton of veterans always spouting off about how pressurized water doesn't push things around- that hasn't changed has it?

If you want to make sure the water drifts about one pump per five to seven tile wide opening should output the right volume of water. May need to delay it slightly so that the initial water in the cistern can make it's way out though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 03:02:31 am »

..snip..

you really want fortification in front of those floodgates, as the Unfortunate Accident With Dragon shown me.
Pages: [1] 2