Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Syndrome applied upon eating?  (Read 659 times)

Urist McFly

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like his importance is... Dwarfed.
    • View Profile
Syndrome applied upon eating?
« on: November 15, 2010, 06:00:45 pm »

Hi. I decided I wanted to mod my version of Tinker Mod to apply some sort of consequence for eating raw meat, but nothing serious. My question is, is it possible to make something apply a syndrome upon being eaten?

Also, what would be a balanced consequence for eating raw meat, so that when you have to eat it, won't kill you, but will make you less effective in combat?

Aarik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Syndrome applied upon eating?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:17:43 pm »

Nausea, vomiting and such.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with alcohol, though more a positive syndrome, like dulled pain and a minor temporary boost to disease resistance.

Also resistance to falling damage, since alcohol has been proven to do that IRL but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Urist McFly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 06:21:53 pm »

I was considering Vomiting and nausea, but is there a way to adjust the magnitude of the syndrome? Apparently CE_NAUSEA causes "heavy vomiting" (DF wiki). I don't want something that may be crucial to result in your adventurer dying due to dehydration or because they were vomiting during battle. The idea is to make raw meat viable, but debilitating enough that you should cook the meat, given the chance.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:37 pm »

Dehydration isnt in this version right now...toady said you dont have to eat or drink right now

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:36 pm »

To reduce the severity, just decrease the number after the SEV tag after the CE_NAUSEA.  a low number will lower the severity.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »

Sadly currently eating does not inject syndromes. They can be applied on contact or injection in blood only.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Urist McFly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 06:38:26 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.
Dehydration isnt in this version right now...toady said you dont have to eat or drink right now

...I read that, but forgot about it. Oh well, this idea shall be stored in my brain-vault for now.
To reduce the severity, just decrease the number after the SEV tag after the CE_NAUSEA.  a low number will lower the severity.

Thanks, that'll help a ton in my modding escapades.
Sadly currently eating does not inject syndromes. They can be applied on contact or injection in blood only.
Sad. I can't wait until Toady implements more methods of delivering syndromes. Poisoning food could be fun. Also, I love your Genesis mod. Great work.

On another note, I though of something awesome: What about enchanted gear? It's planned, right?

Imagine the crazy stuff you could do with enchanted gear... Strength-raising rings, cloaks of sneaking, etc...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 06:40:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the magic arc is far away behind the horison.

You can still have "magical" items made of some uber materials or with crazy stats.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Urist McFly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »

So it is. It's not even on the development page. :/

But I really want some sort of way of modifying stats, and skill levels, aside from the current item quality modifier... I suppose that's a pipe dream for now.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 06:45:19 pm »

Yeah, the first things we will get will be real caravans, world economy and ability to send/lead caravans. Then we'll see what comes next.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬