Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 14507 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing spooks, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2010, 09:11:32 pm »

Spade's a farmer's tool, but I call a shovel a shovel.

+1 internet for anyone who gets the reference...
Pretty sure it's Harman, but I'll hedge my bets and say maybe Pratchett. +0.5 internets?

I do wish we had different qualities of ITEM_DIGGER impacting mining performance, and thus the ability to mod in digging sticks, ice picks, shovels, garden trowels, etc.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2010, 09:20:59 pm »

Spade's a farmer's tool, but I call a shovel a shovel.

+1 internet for anyone who gets the reference...
Pretty sure it's Harman, but I'll hedge my bets and say maybe Pratchett. +0.5 internets?

I do wish we had different qualities of ITEM_DIGGER impacting mining performance, and thus the ability to mod in digging sticks, ice picks, shovels, garden trowels, etc.

Ding ding ding. Prattchett. You may have 0.75 internets.

I guess we also need to investigate whether there are any alternative means of disposing of spooks, and whether there are any ways of blocking their movement. In both cases the answer is "probably not". Ghosts may just be the first ever problem that cannot be solved with magma.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2010, 10:36:05 pm »

Blasphemy. Everything may be solved with magma.

Also... I don't know, but am I the only one that may be slightly irritated to find that not all sentient creatures have souls?

I can understand animals, and I know it's common dwarf practice to mentally terrorize and torture elves... but... come on... they don't have souls?
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2010, 10:39:10 pm »

I assume the elves just know better than to return to your fortress after death.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2010, 01:33:34 am »

Also... I don't know, but am I the only one that may be slightly irritated to find that not all sentient creatures have souls?

At first I wanted to say Vulcans from the old Star Trek seemed about as soulless as an alien humanoid can get. But their psychic powers sort of negate that assessment. And the new Star Trek paints them as having deep buried emotions (which I hate, btw).

Do dragons have a soul? Depends on the story teller, doesn't it? In some worlds dragons speak and are wise and can transform into human shape. In others they are little more than flying lizards with a breath weapon.

Elves definitely have a soul, but dwarves just don't like to acknowledge it because it goes against their elf-slaughtering ways.

Also, there's no such thing as a soul. Heh.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:40:25 am by AngleWyrm »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:55 am »

Huh, elves probably go somewhere instead after death. Maybe they go on to possess a tree, or they go back home to eat their loved ones' tender flesh. Who knows.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2010, 04:08:10 am »

my name is alderigo treetoya, you ate my dad, prepare to be eaten!

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2010, 07:42:16 am »

Well you go find a way to kill a ghost with magma, and report back then. We'll be waiting.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2010, 08:58:42 am »

Well you go find a way to kill a ghost with magma, and report back then. We'll be waiting.

It's the only logical way. Skeletal and zombie creatures die due to magma, so DING, ghosts are undead, they can be killed with magma. Somehow. But if you do it, will the ghost become a ghost of itself?

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2010, 09:01:11 am »

Go ahead , Try to kill Ghosts with magma

I can understand animals, and I know it's common dwarf practice to mentally terrorize and torture elves... but... come on... they don't have souls?

Are you some kind of elf apologist? Elves don't need souls , because they ain't the Primary Race for Dwarf mode And i don't really think anyone would be insane enough to choose a race with weak attributes , besides , i don't think it's fun when there's like , 500 Elven ghosts haunting your fortress

It's the only logical way. Skeletal and zombie creatures die due to magma, so DING, ghosts are undead, they can be killed with magma. Somehow. But if you do it, will the ghost become a ghost of itself?

Wait , what? Ghosts ain't undead , they are dead , besides , i don't see anything to burn in a ghost

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2010, 09:02:36 am »

Wait , what? Ghosts ain't undead , they are dead , besides , i don't see anything to burn in a ghost

Ghosts are dead, correct. But according to finest Dwarven logic, if something dead is moving out of it's own accord, it's undead. Hereby, ghosts are undead, and can be killed with magma. It's really that simple.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2010, 09:19:45 am »

Technically ghosts are undead, but that does not imply you can kill them. Strictly speaking you cannot kill anything that is undead (same applies for unliving) as they already are dead. Just not dead dead. But ghosts are immaterial to boot so they cannot be touched, therefore they cannot be killed by anything that is solid.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2010, 09:29:31 am »

Magma is liquid though....
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:37 am »

Still it's matter. Ghost is not matter. Simple. Maybe if we "killed" magma (like dumping it into glowing pits?) we could get ghost magma though.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2010, 10:39:43 am »

Technically ghosts are undead, but that does not imply you can kill them. Strictly speaking you cannot kill anything that is undead (same applies for unliving) as they already are dead. Just not dead dead. But ghosts are immaterial to boot so they cannot be touched, therefore they cannot be killed by anything that is solid.

neither in adventure mode?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10